U.S. Appeals Court Strikes Down North Carolina's Voter ID Law

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
"A federal appeals court has overturned North Carolina's sweeping voter ID law, ruling that the law was passed with "discriminatory intent" and was designed to impose barriers to block African-Americans from voting.

The ruling came from a three-judge panel of the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. The state is "almost certain" to appeal to the full court or to the U.S. Supreme Court, NPR's Pam Fessler reports.

The law has been controversial ever since it was enacted in 2013 — "right after the Supreme Court struck down a provision of the Voting Rights Act that might have prevented the law from taking effect," as Pam has reported.

"The U.S. Justice Department, the state NAACP and other advocacy groups have been fighting the changes ever since," Pam says. "They say the law discriminates against minorities and is unconstitutional. Among other things, it requires voters to show a photo ID, unless they swear they faced a 'reasonable impediment' trying to get one."

But it did more than just require photo IDs. Michael Tomsic of member station WFAE explained last summer that the law rolled back a series of changes that advocates say expanded African-American voter participation:"

Continue reading here: http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/07/29/487935700/u-s-appeals-court-strikes-down-north-carolinas-voter-id-law?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=npr&utm_medium=social&utm_term=nprnews

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Hey boy ...
............./´¯/).............(\¯`\
............/....//...............\\....\
.........../....//.................\\....\
...../´¯/..../´¯\............../¯`\....\¯`\..
.././.../..../..../.|_......._|.\....\....\...\.\..
(.(....(....(..../.)..).....(..(.\....)....).....).)
.\................\/.../......\...\/................/
..\................. /.........\................../
....\..............(............).............../
......\.............\.........../............../

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
"A federal appeals court has overturned North Carolina's sweeping voter ID law, ruling that the law was passed with "discriminatory intent" and was designed to impose barriers to block African-Americans from voting.

really you are saying blacks are too stupid to get an ID

Mixone

Democrats bus in minorities to vote, why can't the bus them to get an ID?
The same ID you will need to cash your welfare check at the liquor store...

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
really you are saying blacks are too stupid to get an ID

Can't for the life of me figure out what the big deal is about getting an ID card. WTH are you hiding? How do they cash their welfare checks? How is it racist? Pitiful..

Hijinx

Can't for the life of me figure out what the big deal is about getting an ID card. WTH are you hiding? How do they cash their welfare checks? How is it racist? Pitiful..

If they needed an ID card to vote they could only vote once/.

Bonehead

What is the big deal about an ID card for sheots sake...... I don't get it ? You don't have one you don't vote, pay taxes, yada yada.

Bonehead

If I may ...

Hey boy ...
............./´¯/).............(\¯`\
............/....//...............\\....\
.........../....//.................\\....\
...../´¯/..../´¯\............../¯`\....\¯`\..
.././.../..../..../.|_......._|.\....\....\...\.\..
(.(....(....(..../.)..).....(..(.\....)....).....).)
.\................\/.../......\...\/................/
..\................. /.........\................../
....\..............(............).............../
......\.............\.........../............../

Sorry dude you are wearing this out. JMHO.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
I'm betting that every one of those homebound, no-transportation, too poor people has a photo ID. Otherwise, they couldn't get a doctor's appointment.