Companies storing credit card information without permission?

pelers

I have a question. Are companies allowed to retain your credit card information without your permission? Here's the context:

My husband and I have a rewards card with the new theater in Lexington Park. We never gave them credit card info when we signed up. I went to the movies tonight without the rewards card and used my debit card to pay. I got a receipt showing points being added to my rewards card (that I didn't have with me and didn't mention even having one).

I'm feeling really uncomfortable with that. Is that even legal?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If you didn't use your rewards card and you've never associated your credit card with your rewards account, how would they identify you and know where to credit the purchase? As in, how can they retain credit card information that you never gave them?

Am I misunderstanding the situation?

pelers

That's exactly what's freaking me out. I've used the card at the same time as the rewards card in the past to pay for tickets, but I've never done anything to associate my card to the rewards card.

pelers

Just got off the phone with my bank. Apparently it is perfectly legal for the theater to do that, they just aren't allowed to charge anything without my permission.

Still gives me the heebie jeebies, though. Blech.

PeoplesElbow

I bought a knife one time using my debit card, about a year later I got a recall notice in the mail, creeped me out a bit.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I have a few rewards programs linked to my credit card, so when I use that card for a purchase I automatically get the discount/points/whatever. But I specifically did that, they didn't just take it upon themselves.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Every electronic transaction by an individual can be tied to any other electronic transaction, even if no transaction is made (I.E - rewards card in this case) by same individual, whether you think you gave out any information or not. They know it all, or can soon know it all if they so desire (they=them).

Cash is getting to be the same way.