Drone trucks...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
...read an interesting article about a company that is testing automating trucks a la self driving cars. Won't bother with the link because the ability to do it and how aren't of any interest to me. The simple fact is that soon, very soon, it will be MUCH cheaper and MUCH safer for vehicles to be controlled by machines. What interests me is the economic impact of it, yet more jobs wiped out by our never even slowing down desire to choose profit over people.

There are about 3.5 million long haul truckers and another 5-6 million local drivers in the US, call it 10 million. Call it, at $50,000 a year each, very conservative number, something like $500 billion in driving wages on the table to be snatched up in the desire for more productivity. Cabs are right behind, maybe ahead of that. What else? Equipment operators, pilots? How many of you actually do something a machine can't do? I made two phone calls to gummint entities today and both were taking care of very professionally, pleasantly, not too terrible of a wait but the information I needed could have, easily, been a few mouse clicks away on a web site.

I'm back on my soap box, folks. We're heading, lighting speed, to a new world order, one where there really aren't many jobs, at all, and most of you tend towards the 'anyone can make it and do well' mindset from the 'Great America' era when all you had to do was work hard, be reliable and you could own a home and see your way to a better life for your kids. No more. Now, you will HAVE to have special skills and talents to even get a job. As always, yes, the better of us WILL find a way but this is musical chairs and we're not talking 200 million people and 199 million chairs. We're talking 200 million people and, as of today, something like 110 million chairs. It's coming folks, and soon, where half of us won't have jobs that will pay as much as it costs to get to and from them day to day.

SamSpade

I really don't think self-driving cars are yet in our near future.

One of the things I read recently is that in order for you and I to drive safely - we break the law.

Just a little. No one will ever fault you for it. But you frequently flout the law because road conditions at any given moment really require it, in order to be safe.
For instance, you're going down the road towards a light that has turned yellow, but it's clear the guy BEHIND you hasn't gotten the message - if you slow down, he's going to be in your back seat.
So you speed up and hopefully go through without running the red. We do stuff like this ALL THE TIME and it's no big deal. We have good sense and the desire to stay alive as motivation.

Programmers and designers noticed this - that strict adherence to traffic safety often endangered their handiwork, because the machine cannot be programmed to "occasionally" use its judgment and do something illegal.

Because the government cannot allow it. It can't give carte blanche to developers to put breaking traffic laws into the minds of its machines. They MUST obey the law.
And sadly, it makes them unsafe.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Programmers and designers noticed this - that strict adherence to traffic safety often endangered their handiwork, because the machine cannot be programmed to "occasionally" use its judgment and do something illegal.

most of the accidents so far is from robot cars being rear ended merging onto a highway

Larry Gude

Strung Out

One of the things I read recently is that in order for you and I to drive safely - we break the law.

Just a little. No one will ever fault you for it. But you frequently flout the law because road conditions at any given moment really require it, in order to be safe.
For instance, you're going down the road towards a light that has turned yellow, but it's clear the guy BEHIND you hasn't gotten the message - if you slow down, he's going to be in your back seat.
So you speed up and hopefully go through without running the red. We do stuff like this ALL THE TIME and it's no big deal. We have good sense and the desire to stay alive as motivation.

Because the government cannot allow it. It can't give carte blanche to developers to put breaking traffic laws into the minds of its machines. They MUST obey the law.

Interesting. As I understand it, they'll be programmed to keep a safe distance from one another and obstacles. The point of the trucks coming sooner is that the auto pilot or whatever we call it would be, at first, for highway driving where there is a lot less to deal with.

pelers

Once the transition is eventually made to 100% self-driving cars, that problem will disappear, though. Every vehicle on the road will be following the exact same set of rules and guidelines.

More daunting, I think, is all of the groundwork that will have to be laid to get to that point. In order for everything to seamlessly integrate certain standards are going to have to be established. Standards involving how the vehicles communicate with one another, intermediate standards for how they will deal with manually driven vehicles. Plus all the updates to road infrastructure throughout the country. Every state (and nearly every site, it seems) handles road construction differently. Signage, cones. Road maps will have to be updated much more frequently than they currently are (it took Google something like two years to get my street on their maps after I'd moved in, and the neighborhood had been there for a few years already). The security concerns alone make me twitchy.

There are still a lot of things that need to be worked out, but honestly, in terms of safety, I think it's a good direction to be moving in. Software can react MUCH faster than a human, it also doesn't get distracted, road rage, or any number of other things we humans are prone to. I suspect that for a long while, those potential driverless trucks will still have a human sitting inside them, able to take control for safety sake.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
...those potential driverless trucks will still have a human sitting inside them, able to take control for safety sake.

The article had an interesting quote from a real trucker. He said the same thing, that there is no way he could sleep in the back while a machine drove. Then, he thought about it and said he can't sleep now when another person is driving with him. :lol: It seems to me that 'phase 1', so to speak, might be pier to pier automated trucks that are on there own from one dock to the next and then get taken over by a person in a city or for local distribution. What's the point of having an automated truck if a human is still going to be in it and not sleeping?

PeoplesElbow

The article had an interesting quote from a real trucker. He said the same thing, that there is no way he could sleep in the back while a machine drove. Then, he thought about it and said he can't sleep now when another person is driving with him. :lol: It seems to me that 'phase 1', so to speak, might be pier to pier automated trucks that are on there own from one dock to the next and then get taken over by a person in a city or for local distribution. What's the point of having an automated truck if a human is still going to be in it and not sleeping?

Trains and airplanes are exactly that way, have been for a while now.