Humingbirds

I've been enjoying seeing them on the feeder outside my family room window all summer. Very interesting how aggressive they can get when more than one male is around. I was figuring there were 5 or so males and females.

A helo flew over pretty low just now, made a lot of noise. The hummers flew out of the trees like kitchen roaches when a light gets turned on. There were at least a dozen flying every which way. :yikes: I was totally surprised, had no idea there were that many around.

:yay:

NextJen

Raisin cane
Our 4 or 5 (at least that's how many I think we have) have gotten a lot more active in the last week. I love watching them come to the feeders and dive bomb each other out on the deck.

luvmygdaughters

I've seen 3 or 4 around our honeysuckle bushes and the feeders. One is always chasing the others off, but not for long.

Grumpy

I've seen 3 or 4 around our honeysuckle bushes and the feeders. One is always chasing the others off, but not for long.

Have 2 or 3 dozen hanging out at our feeders. Pretty well trained, too, they let us know when the feeders are out. Most of the time they just hover by the kitchen window giving us the "well??" stare when they need more sugar water. Monday I had one come around the front of the house and hover 6 inches from my face staring, walked around back to the feeders and yep, they were empty.

glhs837

Power with Control
they will hover by the sliding glass door if the feeders go empty.... I get scared I'm gonna get an eye put out....

Have 2 or 3 dozen hanging out at our feeders. Pretty well trained, too, they let us know when the feeders are out. Most of the time they just hover by the kitchen window giving us the "well??" stare when they need more sugar water. Monday I had one come around the front of the house and hover 6 inches from my face staring, walked around back to the feeders and yep, they were empty.

they will hover by the sliding glass door if the feeders go empty.... I get scared I'm gonna get an eye put out....
That's pretty cool. Mine don't do that. Mine just bounce of the plate glass window chasing each other. :ohwell: I think I got the "special" brood.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
That's pretty cool. Mine don't do that. Mine just bounce of the plate glass window chasing each other. :ohwell: I think I got the "special" brood.

Nah. They bounce off our window as well. Doesn't seem to slow them down any.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
they just really got active in solomons too, yesterday had just filled up feeder and one came down looked at me like WTF U doing here and started drinking for good 30 seconds... I was 3 feet from him, will take phone down for videos next time.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
How much nectar/sugar water are you guys going through? My hummers are drinking about a quart a day. Haven't counted them all, but at times there are 6 or 7 on both of the feeders I have out.

glhs837

Power with Control
A lot. I've decided we need to go to multiport feeders, since there are constant wars for the three single feeders we have out. Wifes say more places to stick wont help, what says the collective?

Grumpy

How much nectar/sugar water are you guys going through? My hummers are drinking about a quart a day. Haven't counted them all, but at times there are 6 or 7 on both of the feeders I have out.

Over the past month, been going through approximately 2 5lb bags of sugar weekly.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
A lot. I've decided we need to go to multiport feeders, since there are constant wars for the three single feeders we have out. Wifes say more places to stick wont help, what says the collective?
My feeders have 8 holes each (2 of them) and while there are times when a bully runs everyone off a feeder they usually come right back.
Over the past month, been going through approximately 2 5lb bags of sugar weekly.
10 pounds weekly, you sure you ain't helping them out? :lmao:
A pint every 2-3 days. The number of birds visiting seems to have dropped off in the past 2 weeks.
Mine seem to be increasing. Tried counting them and with 12 on the feeders I spotted 6 more perching on lines and in the trees. I am sure I didn't see them all.

luvmygdaughters

We have three feeders and a honeysuckle bush, they do the feeders occasionally, but prefer the honeysuckle. Feeders need to be refilled once a week.