Who falls for these stupid scams?

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
So, here is the latest:

(GREENBELT, MD) -- During an almost two-month investigation into a bank fraud and theft scheme in the Greenbelt area, Maryland State Police and Homeland Security Investigations identified an “employment/business opportunity” theft scheme. The business owner who reported the scheme to the Maryland State Police owns a business in Greenbelt, MD. The owner discovered fraudulent transactions from the business’ accounts. The fraudulent transactions amounted to over $150,000 and went to several different entities around the United States.

The Maryland State Police – Criminal Enforcement Division Central South Region investigated the transactions and made contact with some of the recipients of the fraudulent transactions. During the course of the investigation, investigators identified an “employment/business opportunity theft scheme”. Further investigation revealed several different parties outside of Maryland answered an ad for employment on Craigslist.org or other job-seeking websites for a company known to them as Radiant Travel. These prospective employees of Radiant Travel were told that customers or business partners of Radiant Travel would transfer money directly into their personal bank account. They were further instructed to keep a small portion for themselves as a commission and to transfer the rest to Radiant Travel, which investigators believe is located outside the United States, possibly in France.

When these individuals transfer the money, working on behalf of what they believe is their employer, the original fraudulent transactions are reported by the original victim. This often causes real financial loss to these persons as they have now transferred thousands of dollars from their bank account overseas, believing it was part of their employment for Radiant Travel.

A complaint regarding Radiant Travel has been filed with the Internet Crimes Complaint Center. Further information about these and other Internet Crime Schemes can be found on the FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center website. The Maryland State Police would like to urge the citizens of Maryland to use caution when responding to ads on Craigslist or similar employment websites and to protect their identity when dealing with unknown, potentially criminal parties.

----

OK, so I'm Joe Dumbass looking for an easy work-at-home job on Craigslist -- that site famous for prostitutes, targeting victims for robbery, and scams.

Now, these guys are gonna have their partners transfer money into my bank account and then I take my VIG and send the rest along to my new employer, who by the way I have never met or even spoke to on the telephone.

Now, even if this "victim" doesn't already get that it is a scam, one might have asked themselves at least the following questions:

-- Hmmm, Wonder why they need me to be the middle man? Maybe this is some kind of money laundering operation. What if it is drug money, or, or the money is actually going to some terrorists?!?!?!?!

-- Hmmm, aren't I gonna have to explain all this money I gots going thru my bank account to the IRS? What if they think it is my income and want me to pay tax on it.

--- Hmmm, what could possibly go wrong with this plan?

Last edited:

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Then there is this knucklehead:
I made a friend through Facebook, who is in Yemen, with the Military. We have been friends for over a month, and he will be returning to the USA in two months. He asked me, if I could do him a favor. He stated that he is paid in Yemen money, and that he cannot get a bank in the USA that he can do business with until he returns home. He claims that he has no money to be able to buy anything there, and because he is in the frontline fighting, he is not allowed to leave the base.

All the money he has been paid through the Military, and he has been myriad of years with them, is in different countries currency. He wants me to say that I am his wife, and receive the money at my home, for him. He mentioned that the United Nations Department, will bring it to me directly to my home, and that all I have to do is accept it.

I have not given him my ultimate decision because I do not know much about Military Laws, or currency from other countries. Is that considered Money Laundering? Can I be arrested for it? How will that affect me directly with the Internal Revenue Service, in the USA, since my name, address, and telephone number will have to be provided before hand. I have never been involved with the Law in any way. I am a law-abiding citizen, and want to make sure, if what he wants me to do is legal, and if I can be prosecuted for it. Thank you for your help. And have a great day.

The United Nations Department is quite busy these days bringing money to homes around the country.