Thread: Art - help me

Blog Entries

Art - help me

On the recommendation of several people, we paid a visit to the Pappajohn Sculpture Park in Des Moines. Now, I'm no art expert, and I don't even play one on TV, but two concrete "snowmen" - one black and one white - why is that art? It literally was two large concrete balls with a smaller concrete ball on top of them, one painted black and one painted white. I presumed there was some sort of racial symbolism, but really? That's the best the "artist" could come up with? Then I looked at the title and they are called "Back of Snowman (White)" and "Back of Snowman (Black)". So the artist wasn't even creative with the name. Didn't even try to fake it.

Another "sculpture" was a few steel beams randomly welded together. It was called "Untitled", so even the artist didn't know what the hell it was.

Some of them were quite good, evoking a feeling or a message, but most of the were like, WTH is that?? Then a couple, you look at them and think you know what the artist was trying to convey....then you read the placard and...nope. The PR says that these sculptures were created by 22 of the world's most celebrated artists.

Much of what is considered "art" has that effect on me - "What the hell even is that??" So it's not just this sculpture park. Many "valuable" works are simply no talent ridiculous, or they are in your face simplistic, like a not very bright child did it. Examples: http://www.oddee.com/item_98781.aspx

Modern art, in my opinion, is mostly bull####. Feel free to try and convince me otherwise.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    Now, I'm no art expert, and I don't even play one on TV, but two concrete "snowmen" - one black and one white - why is that art?
    Which one was Art, the black one or the white one? And what was the other's name?
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

Lurking in the background in flat, humid Fl
    Was there any pizza art?
    “The truth will set you free, but first it will make you miserable.” - President James A. Garfield

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    Now, I'm no art expert, and I don't even play one on TV ......

Modern art, in my opinion, is mostly bull####. Feel free to try and convince me otherwise.

I was at the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden downtown in Oct of 99 .... on of the exhibits in town at that time involved various nude females or female parts .....
    one painting was of the artists vagina .... the picture was 14 feet tall

what do you discuss about a painting 14 feet tall of a vagina - the artists use of color ? brush strokes ? level of detail in the picture ?
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.