Buying a used shed a scam?

glhs837

Power with Control
Used shed on sale on one of the local FB for sale pages. Went to look at it. House had a realtor lockbox on the door. No vehicles showing in the drive. Might have been in the garage. Guy answered the door, his wife and little girl in the background. Seems legit. Look over shed say I"ll call after getting quotes for moving it. Good deal. Get quotes, negotiate down a little. Wife says hey, I got an odd vibe. So I look the house up on SDAT. Name listed there is not the name of the guy selling it on FB...... Look that name (guy selling it) up on MD Case Search, see a few burgulary cases and some CDS.

So I've left a message with the realtor. Thoughts?

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Could be a tenant renting the place. He may have paid for the shed and wants to get a few bucks back for it. Or he's selling something that doesn't belong to him.

glhs837

Power with Control
Not many tenants buying a 3,000 dollar shed that matches the house they are renting. I'ts been there a few years.

glhs837

Power with Control
Waiting to see, but I suspect that's the case. Said he'll be there all day today and tomorrow. Wish I had figured this out before busting my hump Sat morning making a 12x12 clear area in the forest into a 16x16 clear area in the forest.......

Clem72

Lockbox on the door? Squatters.

Not necessarily the case. Lots of times Realtors will ask to put a box on the house so they can show it when you are away (which should be always, no one likes to look at a house with people in it).

Not necessarily the case. Lots of times Realtors will ask to put a box on the house so they can show it when you are away (which should be always, no one likes to look at a house with people in it).

Right. I did think of that after I posted. But it is looking kind of suspicious.

glhs837

Power with Control

Which was my initial thought on seeing the lockbox. But then why does the sellers Facebook name not match the registered owners name through the state real property database? And it's not a case or Bobby Smith vs Robert William Smith the III. Two completely different names with nothing in common. Even then, I get that people use fake names on FB, but the odds of an upright citizen choosing a three name match to a guy whose got a history of assault and burglary seems like a stretch. I'm not going to do anything until I hear from the realtor but it does not look good.

Clem72

Which was my initial thought on seeing the lockbox. But then why does the sellers Facebook name not match the registered owners name through the state real property database? And it's not a case or Bobby Smith vs Robert William Smith the III. Two completely different names with nothing in common. Even then, I get that people use fake names on FB, but the odds of an upright citizen choosing a three name match to a guy whose got a history of assault and burglary seems like a stretch. I'm not going to do anything until I hear from the realtor but it does not look good.

No, your situation sounds suspicious. I was just commenting on the lock box = empty house suggestion. Did you ask the guy why he was selling it, and if he had any documentation that he owned the shed just to make sure it's not a scam. If he is the owner, this shouldn't offend him and if not, well who cares if he is offended.

glhs837

Power with Control
No, I asked about moving, and he said he was moving locally, which, if he is squatting would make sense, he will be moving, after all :) But I didn't ask him for proof it was his, who would? Especially with the wife and kid there.

Clem72

Especially with the wife and kid there.

Eh? I might ask, especially if I had a funny feeling. And it's hard not to tip your hand that you know this person isn't the homeowner. Don't have to approach it in an adversarial way, something along the lines of "Couldn't help but notice the property is for sale and it is a bit odd to sell the matching shed. No offense meant, but would you happen to have an old receipt or anything showing that you own the shed just to make sure things are on the up and up?".

Again, it's a weird request. But if I were the owner and someone presented the question to me that way, I wouldn't take offense. If I was a thief I might get huffy about it.

glhs837

Power with Control
Ah, so it turns out, the guy is the son-in-law of the guy who owns the house. Authorized to sell stull like the shed? Realtor didn't know, but said she has had cases of folks selling stuff off from stuff awaiting sale. She's going to check with the owner and get back to me.

RPMDAD

Used shed on sale on one of the local FB for sale pages. Went to look at it. House had a realtor lockbox on the door. No vehicles showing in the drive. Might have been in the garage. Guy answered the door, his wife and little girl in the background. Seems legit. Look over shed say I"ll call after getting quotes for moving it. Good deal. Get quotes, negotiate down a little. Wife says hey, I got an odd vibe. So I look the house up on SDAT. Name listed there is not the name of the guy selling it on FB...... Look that name (guy selling it) up on MD Case Search, see a few burgulary cases and some CDS.

So I've left a message with the realtor. Thoughts?

No, you did the right thing, the realtor would know if the shed goes with the house or is for sale.

Ah, so it turns out, the guy is the son-in-law of the guy who owns the house. Authorized to sell stull like the shed? Realtor didn't know, but said she has had cases of folks selling stuff off from stuff awaiting sale. She's going to check with the owner and get back to me.

:yay:

glhs837

Power with Control
No, you did the right thing, the realtor would know if the shed goes with the house or is for sale.

I just see a week after I get it delivered, the CCSO and some SMCO deputies show up with a truck, saying the shed was stolen and they are taking it, and I can sue this guy for my money........ And I end up getting it back $15 a month as he stamps out plates in the joint.....

Roman

I'd stay away from this one. There will be other sheds out there for you that will be legit. Go with your gut instincts.

glhs837

Power with Control
Well, if the realtor gets me word from the owner that he okayed the sale, I'll go forward. But otherwise, no.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Well, if the realtor gets me word from the owner that he okayed the sale, I'll go forward. But otherwise, no.

Do a little computer groundwork, go to your local property appraiser site, punch in the address or folio number, and find out who the owner is and any bank/builder that may have a lien against it. That should ease the legal parts of it.

glhs837

Power with Control
Did that, that's how I know the guy offering the shed is not the owner. And from the listing realtor, I found out that the guy offering the shed is the son-in-law of the houses owner. And that he has a prior criminal history that includes a few burglary charges.