You--driving your car on the track at Virginia International Raceway

somdcroc

Car enthusiasts, If you have never driven on a road race course consider registering for an upcoming event on the historic and famous Virginia International Raceway (VIR). The Porsche Club of America (PCA) First Settlers Region is hosting a High Performance Driver Education (HPDE) event at VIR on September 16-18. For those that don't know anything about road race courses or VIR tune in to Fox Sports 1 Sunday afternoon August 28th to watch the IMSA series pro sports car race at VIR. Paul Newman (the racer with an acting hobby) once said, "If there is heaven on earth its VIR". Carroll Shelby actually won the first race at VIR back in 1957 (in an Aston Martin roadster).

Although the PCA FSR HPDE will be using different configurations of this beautiful track we will be offering all the same thrills that the pros will experience during their IMSA races this weekend.

For those interested I have some answers to some questions I'm sure many have. No--you don't need a Porsche to register--nor do you need any modifications to your car. We typically host Porsches obviously but also about any other type of car you can imagine to include BMWs, VWs, Corvettes, Audis, Subarus, Mustangs, etc. (no trucks or SUVs please). Our only requirement is you must have your car inspected by a professional mechanic or shop in advance of the event and use our specific Tech Inspection form located on a link from the event registration page. We do require you have a helmet--an SA 2005 or newer specification (no M____ spec motorcycle helmets allowed). And--PCA rules require drivers to be 18 or older.

We offer the typical five different HPDE run groups (Green beginner student, Blue advanced student, White solo intermediate, Black advanced, and Red Instructors). Our offerings are a Friday Only segment on the VIR North Course (Where the NASCAR K&N series is run every summer) with three 30 minute sessions. We also offer all three days (Friday on the North Course, plus Saturday and Sunday on the South Course with four 20-25 minute sessions per day).

The last option we offer is for drivers that have never driven on a road course track but don't want to commit to a full day or weekend event. For $50 dollars we offer the "Intro to HPDE" session on Saturday September 17th. You will also need to get your car inspected prior to the event, will attend a classroom session teaching you the basics of road course driving, the flags, etc., and then will drive on the VIR South Course for 30 minutes, at speed, with an instructor in your passenger seat guiding you on the proper braking and shift points, turn in, apex, track out, etc.

VIR being a road course has some very thrilling left and right turn corners, ascending and descending turns (some blind), lots of elevation change, plus long high speed straights (in other words--its what makes a road course so thrilling and challenging to drive on).

Have I got your attention? Someone wise once said "its better to be a racer for a day then a spectator for life". This is your chance to find out what its all about, to do things with your car (yes--even your daily driver) that you can't otherwise do on the street.

Like most clubs that offer these track events we use motorsportreg.com for event registration and payment and this event can be specifically found at https://www.motorsportreg.com/event...nia-international-raceway-477236#.V8I-J2WG8cg

If you have any specific question feel free to contact me at de@fsrpca.org I hope to see you on track!