A #NeverTrump evangelical calls out her own

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
"Donald J. Trump has a Catholic problem. He has a Mormon problem too, an African-American problem, a Hispanic problem, a women problem. The one group that poses no problem, to our shame, is white Evangelicals. Pew Research tells us that a whopping 78% of white Evangelicals say they will vote for Trump over Hillary.

This puzzles me. I am, to paraphrase Paul, an Evangelical of Evangelicals. My credentials are unimpeachable: Born into the Jesus People movement of late 70s California, raised in mega churches where clergy were more likely to wear Birkenstocks than robes, indoctrinated in the value of kissing dating goodbye in the 90s while simultaneously falling in love with the man I would marry.

I get Evangelicals, those hard-working, hard-loving, hard headed salt of the earth types across this country. They are my people and I love them. Yet, Donald J. Trump terrifies me. He is everything I was raised by these good people to stand against: Belittling, lover of self, boastful, unrepentant. He rejoices in exploiting weakness, in cheating the little guy, something the Bible condemns again and again.

He lies constantly, lies easily disproven, lies with no purpose other than to puff himself up. He thirsts for power and disregards the checks against the executive written into the Constitution. “I alone will solve,” he claims, as if he were God himself.In a thousand church basements across this land, Evangelicals tend to the disabled. Trump mocks them. Churches across the land send missionaries to help the desperate refugees of the Middle East. Trump calls them snakes. Churches send their young to serve in the military, pray for the troops, and care for those who were wounded. Trump belittles prisoners of war and threatens to order troops to go against military law to torture the enemy and murder their families."

Continue reading here: http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/presidential-campaign/293661-a-nevertrump-evangelical-calls-out-her-own