Study to Identify Bay Crossing Location; New License Plate Features Md. Flag

newsBot

Automated News Bot
Staff member
This just in from the somd.com Headline News:

Title: Study to Identify Bay Crossing Location; New License Plate Features Md. Flag

Date: 08-30-2016 05:06 PM

Summary: Gov. Larry Hogan today announced the start of a study that will identify the location and explore potential funding options for a new Chesapeake Bay crossing. Gov. Hogan also unveiled a new Maryland license plate design.

Click here for the full story...

CRHS89

So no number over another number? Good. That was the stupidest thing ever and made it very hard to read a license plate.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Marine engineering companies (like mine) have been supporting studies on alternative ways to add bay crossings (other than a bridge) for 30 friggin' years. Nothing ever comes from the reports...

Hijinx

Marine engineering companies (like mine) have been supporting studies on alternative ways to add bay crossings (other than a bridge) for 30 friggin' years. Nothing ever comes from the reports...

Exactly. Study after study has been made. At one time they had 3 different locations one of which was Solomon's down Rt.4 How many studies does it take,

And when will they stop screwing around and build a new bridge across the Potomac the one we have was built in 1939 and it's overdue for a new crossing.

Millburn

Exactly. Study after study has been made. At one time they had 3 different locations one of which was Solomon's down Rt.4 How many studies does it take,

And when will they stop screwing around and build a new bridge across the Potomac the one we have was built in 1939 and it's overdue for a new crossing.

There as you say have been a couple dozen studies and they all say build a crossing somewhere on the Calvert side of the Bay , anywhere from Solomons on up. Thing is this man use too at one time many years ago own most of the property that would have been sold to make those crossing.Louis Goldstein was a very nice man .

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/07/07/us/louis-goldstein-85-maryland-comptroller.html

officeguy

So no number over another number? Good. That was the stupidest thing ever and made it very hard to read a license plate.

There was nothing wrong with the 'anniversary' plates we had prior to that. Easy to read with two groups of three.

I think the 'war of 1812' boondoggle is the reason you see so many Ag-education plates on the road.

I like the new design.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Work has already started on the new Potomac River bridge. They are surveying and taking core samples of the areas where supporting structure will be sunk in to the bottom. We've been in discussions with the engineering firm that is doing that work, regarding "beneficial uses" of the large amount of dredge spoil they will generate.

Hijinx

Work has already started on the new Potomac River bridge. They are surveying and taking core samples of the areas where supporting structure will be sunk in to the bottom. We've been in discussions with the engineering firm that is doing that work, regarding "beneficial uses" of the large amount of dredge spoil they will generate.

There are some open pit gravel mines that now sport ponds where the gravel used to be. They could fill in some of those.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
There are some open pit gravel mines that now sport ponds where the gravel used to be. They could fill in some of those.

Are they within a few hundred yards of the river?

We're trying to work with them to use the dredge spoil to create a large shoreline barrier marsh to protect a historic island that is eroding away very fast in recent years.

Many years ago, before massive regulations on dredging and dumping, the area I lived in needed to construct a new inlet with jetties for access to the nuke power plant. They dredged the channel and dumped it all on the beach. Besides stinking to high hell, it wasn't obvious when 4-wheeling at night. Drove right into it, over the axles and over the bottom of the frame of the truck. 6 hours to get it unstuck.

Anyway.... I digress. When you get old you start to reminisce far too often....

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Many years ago, before massive regulations on dredging and dumping, the area I lived in needed to construct a new inlet with jetties for access to the nuke power plant. They dredged the channel and dumped it all on the beach. Besides stinking to high hell, it wasn't obvious when 4-wheeling at night. Drove right into it, over the axles and over the bottom of the frame of the truck. 6 hours to get it unstuck.

Anyway.... I digress. When you get old you start to reminisce far too often....

In our case, they come in and build the stone retaining walls with embedded filter cloth along the shoreline and 30-50 yards offshore. Then when they start transferring the dredge spoil, they pump it on to a previously cleared and silt-fenced 5 acres of ground on the island and just pile it up to dewater. Then at the end, they push all the dewatered soil overboard, filling the containment areas to within some specified distance relative to low tide. And then plant certain types of marsh grass. The island would gain about 10 acres of tidal marsh and be erosion-stabilized at the same time.

After the very successful Poplar Island restoration project, the state is looking to repeat that process in other locations.

Last edited:
In our case, they come in and build the stone retaining walls with embedded filter cloth along the shoreline and 30-50 yards offshore. Then when they start transferring the dredge spoil, they pump it on to a previously cleared and silt-fenced 5 acres of ground on the island and just pile it up to dewater. Then at the end, they push all the dewatered soil overboard, filling the containment areas to within some specified distance relative to low tide. And then plant certain types of marsh grass. The island would gain about 10 acres of tidal marsh and be erosion-stabilized at the same time.

After the very successful Poplar Island restoration project, the state is looking to repeat that process in other locations.

Have you entertained the idea of digging straight down to the magma layer and creating a barrier beach with lava rock? It won't erode with tide and time. :popcorn:

Ok, seriously, the plan you outlined sounds good. Wish I had more background in that kind of project.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Have you entertained the idea of digging straight down to the magma layer and creating a barrier beach with lava rock? It won't erode with tide and time. :popcorn:

Of course I did. Wuht?...you think I'm slow?..not thorough?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I did the mapping for that project before it got started. One of my last photogrammetry jobs.

Nice. You have anything to do with the similar Hart-Miller Island project? That has also turned out very well and the new recreational and camping area is open now too.

awpitt

Main Streeter

Actually, the first (east bound) span opened in 1952. The second (west bound) span opened in 1973.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

Actually, the first (east bound) span opened in 1952. The second (west bound) span opened in 1973.

He referenced the Harry Nice Bridge, not the Chesapeake Bay Bridge.