Rutgers: No such thing as 'free' speech

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Rutgers: No such thing as 'free' speech

• The declaration comes on the university's page for its Bias Prevention and Education Committee.
  • Bias acts are "[v]erbal, written, physical, psychological acts that threaten or harm a person or group" on the basis of race, religion, sexual orientation, etc.

The apparent denial of free speech is part of the public university’s effort to combat student bias on campus. The university’s Bias Prevention and Education Committee lists five ways for students to avoid committing “bias incidents.” Tops on the list is the command that students “Think Before [They] Speak.”

To clarify what this means, the university warns students that “[t]here is no such thing as ‘free’ speech.” However, The university’s student code of conduct contains zero references to “free speech” or “freedom of speech.”

“All speech,” the university continues, “has a cost and consequences.”

The university defines “bias acts” as “[v]erbal, written, physical, psychological acts that threaten or harm a person or group on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, civil union status, domestic partnership status, atypical heredity or cellular blood trait, military service or veteran status.”

glhs837

Power with Control
"psychological acts "

What the hell is that? Once you remove physical, written, or spoken acts, WTH is left? Thinking bad things?

glhs837

Power with Control
Ever wake up next to a horse's head in your bed?

Nope, although there was this one girl......nevermind that's not important now

But that's a physical act, is it not, the placing of an decapitated animals head in a bed?

Hijinx

"All speech” the university continues, “has a cost and consequences.”

Of course. Are we willing and courageous enough to pay that price.

Cost doesn't bother me . Call me anything you like but I will say what I feel.

The hell with Rutgers, there are other colleges/.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Who would have thought that the Rutgers University Student code of conduct trumped the U.S. Constitution. :shrug:

well the only 'free' speech is addressing grievances with the government

but for a place of 'enlightened' Higher Learning, where there is supposed to be a free exchange of Ideas - this frankly sucks

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
"psychological acts "

What the hell is that? Once you remove physical, written, or spoken acts, WTH is left? Thinking bad things?

Thought crime. Very popular in Liberal-Progressives complaints.

Hijinx

well the only 'free' speech is addressing grievances with the government

but for a place of 'enlightened' Higher Learning, where there is supposed to be a free exchange of Ideas - this frankly sucks

It seems that this college is not an enlightened place of higher learning,and free exchange of ideas,unless those ideas are liberal ideas.

Like I said , if these students want a real education they need to find another university.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me.

The assault on 'assault' speech continues.