Keep an eye on this ATF move

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The ATF moved to re-classify wetted nitrocellulose to "high explosive" recently. They got a ton of pushback and had to back pedal the decision and put it on temporary hold. The snarky coverage by the left-wing SNOPES writer aside...it was clearly yet another attempt to quietly "nibble at the edges" of the Second Amendment by executive fiat. And it's not settled yet.

http://www.snopes.com/atf-reclassifies-wetted-nitrocellulose/

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
so it becomes a 'high explosive' then what :shrug:

No Nitrocellulose Gun Powder because no one has permits to posses High Explosives - like Dynamite or C-4

Inkd

The ATF moved to re-classify wetted nitrocellulose to "high explosive" recently. They got a ton of pushback and had to back pedal the decision and put it on temporary hold. The snarky coverage by the left-wing SNOPES writer aside...it was clearly yet another attempt to quietly "nibble at the edges" of the Second Amendment by executive fiat. And it's not settled yet.

it's on hold for now. Emphasis on "for now"

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20160831/atf-delays-any-changes-to-nitrocellulose-regulation

Hijinx

It all stems from how the ATF regulates a chemical compound known as nitrocellulose. For decades, the firearm industry has been allowed to store and transport wetted nitrocellulose without having to treat it as a high explosive. Manufacturers deliberately mix the chemical compound with water to make it less volatile.

All of this time they have been using this stuff, and it has never exploded on them so up comes the ATF with this big idea.

BS

limblips

PREMO Member
I have said for 40 of my many years that they will circumvent the 2nd Amendment through ammunition regulations. Buy now, buy bulk! I predict that eventually, there will be a large underground market for ammunition.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I have said for 40 of my many years that they will circumvent the 2nd Amendment through ammunition regulations. Buy now, buy bulk! I predict that eventually, there will be a large underground market for ammunition.

That's what I see too. All manner of new laws being proposed to control and restrict ammunition sales, trying to make it more expensive, and less accessible.

Inkd

That's how I always figured they would do it too. Slap so many restrictions on it to drive up the cost to manufacture and purchase it that eventually it will be out of the reach of the commoners.

Hijinx

That's how I always figured they would do it too. Slap so many restrictions on it to drive up the cost to manufacture and purchase it that eventually it will be out of the reach of the commoners.

Fortunately ammunition has a long shelf life.. Buy yours now-------while you still can.

Inkd

Fortunately ammunition has a long shelf life.. Buy yours now-------while you still can.

I have been. For awhile now. I was in Qatar when the POS in the white house got into office. By the time I got back home you couldn't find ammo or reloading components for sale anywhere. Friends hooked me up until the drought was over.

When I started working in Afghanistan a few years ago, I bought ammo usually every couple of months, along with reloading supplies. I'm not getting caught short again if I can help it.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I'm not getting caught short again if I can help it.

Neither am I. I keep an eye on the sale notices and buy when it's cheaper...every month.

Despite my best intentions, I've got too many different calibers to feed now. And yet another new mouth on the way...in 6.5 Grendel.

Last edited:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Neither am I. I keep an eye on the sale notices and buy when it's cheaper...every month.

Despite my best intentions, I've got too many different calibers to feed now. And yet another new mouth on the way...in 6.5 Grendel.

:smack:

instead of a new gun, by another doz spam cans of 7.62

Inkd

That 6.5 Grendel is a great round. I am thinking about adding one to my collection too. I went with .300Blk first since I can chop 5.56 cases down to .300Blk length. I'm not sure what 6.5 Grendel brass goes for?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
That 6.5 Grendel is a great round. I am thinking about adding one to my collection too. I went with .300Blk first since I can chop 5.56 cases down to .300Blk length. I'm not sure what 6.5 Grendel brass goes for?

No idea about the cost of brass and, to this point anyway, I don't do my own loads. My bad..I know. I've got two .50 Beowulf rifles..and the Grendel rounds cost about the same from Alexander. Both of the Grendels I'm building are for 1200 yard match work.

Inkd

No idea about the cost of brass and, to this point anyway, I don't do my own loads. My bad..I know. I've got two .50 Beowulf rifles..and the Grendel rounds cost about the same from Alexander. Both of the Grendels I'm building are for 1200 yard match work.

Have you checked out the 6.5 Creedmoor? From what I hear, that round is really setting the thousand yard shooters on fire.

Bonehead

That is why I have stuck with 30.06, 762x39 and 5.56....and .22, 9mm and .45. Bought lots of rounds a long while ago before the drought.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Have you checked out the 6.5 Creedmoor? From what I hear, that round is really setting the thousand yard shooters on fire.

No. I'm kinda new to the longer-range stuff but am really starting to like the challenge of it. I started out with a 7.62x54r PSL. Now it's the 6.5 Grendel on an AR platform. Not sure where it'll take me next. According to everything I've read, I should be able to tune this new 6.5 Grendel, with 24" match-grade barrel, out to 1200 yards. My PSL is only good to 800, so that's impressive to me.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
That is why I have stuck with 30.06, 762x39 and 5.56....and .22, 9mm and .45. Bought lots of rounds a long while ago before the drought.

I have a similar mix: 7.62x54r, 7.62x39, 7.62x25, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, 5.56x45, .50 Beowulf, and, most recently, 6.5 Grendel.

Millburn

The sky is falling ,the sky is falling!!!

Inkd

No. I'm kinda new to the longer-range stuff but am really starting to like the challenge of it. I started out with a 7.62x54r PSL. Now it's the 6.5 Grendel on an AR platform. Not sure where it'll take me next. According to everything I've read, I should be able to tune this new 6.5 Grendel, with 24" match-grade barrel, out to 1200 yards. My PSL is only good to 800, so that's impressive to me.

I don't think you could go wrong with either one. The Grendel can fit in the AR-15 size platform where the Creedmoor needs to go into an AR-10 size platform. Both are honest 1,000yd guns but you can get a slightly heavier bullet with the Creedmoor.

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/ammo/the-versatile-6-5-creedmoor/

http://www.6mmbr.com/65grendel.html