Big Bankruptcies

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
As the coal industry dies...and thousands of jobs are lost in what were already historically depressed communities...

Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) regulations and cheap natural gas have devastating coal companies as well, even forcing Peabody Energy, the world’s largest coal company, to declare bankruptcy earlier this month. Other American coal companies have faced financial problems too. Arch Coal filed for bankruptcy as well in January and coal companies like Alliance Coal announced mass layoffs.

https://pjmedia.com/trending/2016/09/05/heres-one-promise-president-obama-has-kept/

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
:cds:

Bankruptcy ....

where is Tommy Jo or Milburn to screech they should PAY Their Bills and forgo bankruptcy

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
And this one...causing huge financial disruption worldwide. Perhaps Milly or SOTT could enlighten us on who was supposed to "pay those bill" and prevent this one. With an offer of a half billion dollars and over 5 billion in debt...somebody ain't getting paid, that's for sure.

The shipper, the world's seventh largest, has struggled with debts and losses for years. Last week, creditors led by the Korea Development Bank rejected a plan by Hanjin Group to spend another 500 billion won ($447.2 million) to rescue the shipping firm, way short of Hanjin Shipping's more than 6 trillion won ($5.37 billion) in debts.

http://www.manufacturing.net/news/2016/09/ailing-korean-shipper-hanjin-moves-resolve-cargo-chaos?et_cid=5527888&et_rid=45595864&location=top&et_cid=5527888&et_rid=45595864&linkid=http%3a%2f%2fwww.manufacturing.net%2fnews%2f2016%2f09%2failing-korean-shipper-hanjin-moves-resolve-cargo-chaos%3fet_cid%3d5527888%26et_rid%3d%%subscriberid%%%26location%3dtop

Hijinx

I am sure Tommy Jo is happy with the coal companies going bankrupt. After all her heroes Hillary and Obama told them they would bankrupt them.
It was the object of these two to do it.

It was a deliberate action of Obama to instruct the Government through the EPA to destroy these business's.
One could guess that not enough people were already on welfare and the government tit , they decided to add a few thousand.

When Hillary promises jobs------------laugh.

PsyOps

Pixelated
What's the reason for coal over nuke?
Jobs? Make work?

I have no idea what it costs to convert from coal to nuke or gas, but there are nearly 600 power plants that still operate on coal. You can do the math in conversion costs and lost jobs.

Bonehead

You cannot convert from coal to nuke. There are some small nuclear designs out there that are sized for a subdivision and have passive safety systems. Pebble bed comes to mind. These could work but the public has a deep rooted fear of nuclear power.

PsyOps

Pixelated
You cannot convert from coal to nuke. There are some small nuclear designs out there that are sized for a subdivision and have passive safety systems. Pebble bed comes to mind. These could work but the public has a deep rooted fear of nuclear power.

I was actually just thinking about that. Building nuke plants is near impossible. The same environmental whackos that are against coal are also against nuke. And they are against the massive solar farms and windmill farms it would take to generate the required power for most populations. So we are left with fossils: gas and coal, and hydro.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
What's the reason for little to nothing in way of new nuclear plants?

I think jobs. The actual operational cost of nuke v. coal or gas, absent the bureaucratic costs, is no contest and if your constituents are in coal and gas, you fight to make sure nuke costs as much. Or more.

It was a coming of age thing for me when I started to understand that big business and gummint in the US has nothing to do with what makes the most sense in a small business mind and everything to do with controlling the thing, be what it may. Big business seeks not to compete but to eliminate competition. Big politics is the same thing. Which makes sense because it's real purpose is to serve those interests.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

####in' eh. I want a pebble bed reactor for Christmas, so bad! :yahoo:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Well, since we're starting to make a pot-full of money from the offshore wind industry over in Europe and Scandinavia, I've changed my mind and becoming a huge proponent of offshore wind.

Not here in the US though...I'm not for offshore wind power here.

black dog

Free America
I was actually just thinking about that. Building nuke plants is near impossible. The same environmental whackos that are against coal are also against nuke. And they are against the massive solar farms and windmill farms it would take to generate the required power for most populations. So we are left with fossils: gas and coal, and hydro.

Yep,,,,
The last two power plants to be built in the US were the Watts Bar plant, which began construction in 1973, was completed in 1990, and didn't begin commercial operation until 1996, and the River Bend plant, which was built in 1977 and went online in 1986.