Wood finish help. HELP!!

acommondisaster

Help! I made a huge mistake of putting one of those fragrance warmers on my sideboard. The grands were playing and managed to knock the warmer and some of the oil spilled out. The oil immediately melted the finish on the sideboard and I've now got a couple of unpainted areas on the top. The top is finished to look like distressed wood, but now I see that it's not wood - it almost look like it's plastic underneath. This was a really expensive sideboard and I'm just sick about it. I've googled and youtubed and prayed, trying to find some sort of direction on how to fix this, but I've come up with nothing, since it's not real wood and it's not something I want to "upcycle" and paint - I want it back the way it was before - looking like wood. Can anyone give me any suggestions? It's huge - not something I can easily take somewhere to get fixed.

littlelady

God bless the USA
That happened to me when I placed a warmer on its side on an antique oak dresser. I did a quick fix, and just put a runner over it and it soaked up a lot, but it is still slightly rough feeling. My plan after we move is to lightly sand the areas, and restain it. Darn stupid warmers. Who knew the stupid things leaked if placed on their side. :frown:

acommondisaster

Unfortunately, mine's a huge blemish that can be seen immediately - about the size of a quarter with a couple of smaller "drips". The finish is dark wood - like a pecan or darker and the spot where the oil spilled is like a beige or flesh color. It completely ate the finish. It couldn't be worse. This piece was something I wanted for months but couldn't justify spending the money until my husband bought his boat. (Then he owed me!)

littlelady

God bless the USA
Unfortunately, mine's a huge blemish that can be seen immediately - about the size of a quarter with a couple of smaller "drips". The finish is dark wood - like a pecan or darker and the spot where the oil spilled is like a beige or flesh color. It completely ate the finish. It couldn't be worse. This piece was something I wanted for months but couldn't justify spending the money until my husband bought his boat. (Then he owed me!)

Old English is a great fixer. Try that. I know this because I am fixing years of woodwork clawed by pets, etc. It is a life saver; especially when you are trying to sell a house. :smile:

PeoplesElbow

It not being actual wood is going to make it very difficult to match up. Can you post a picture? I do a lot of wood finishing, melamine surfaces are very difficult to get something to actually stick to.

Bonehead

I would refinish the entire area or top. Try and match the color as close as possible spot repairs stick out like a sore thumb.

acommondisaster

Schoenbauer in Charlotte Hall, they make house calls. Highly recommended

Thank you. Hopefully they'll come to Chuck County. I'm really sick about this; despite the fact it's not really wood, it's a lovely piece that always gets compliments. I can't believe I ruined it with that danged oil.