Full tank of heating oil

foomoto

Hello,
we are converting to Propane, we also have a full tank of fuel oil, do you guys know of anyone that we could sell it to or a good use for it?
thank you ahead of time, we appreciate your experience.
Jim

Chris0nllyn

Huge fines if there's any spill. It may be worth asking some local equipment operators (bobcats, backhoes, etc.) if they want it.

Most of the time, if an oil company does agree to remove it, they will charge a pump out fee, and get the oil.

black dog

Free America
Huge fines if there's any spill. It may be worth asking some local equipment operators (bobcats, backhoes, etc.) if they want it.

Most of the time, if an oil company does agree to remove it, they will charge a pump out fee, and get the oil.

Fines ???? Years ago I worked at Newstar ( Stewart ) and I helped cleanup more than one 100 + gallon spill of #2, or #6 oil and not once did they get fined nor did MDEPA show up.

Chris0nllyn

How much do cleanups cost?

The cost of cleanup depends on a variety of factors, including the extent of contamination and state cleanup standards. The average cleanup is estimated to cost $130,000. If only a small amount of soil needs to be removed or treated, cleanup costs may be as low as $10,000. However, costs to clean more extensive soil contamination may exceed $130,000. Corrective action for leaks that affect ground water typically cost from $100,000 to over $1 million, depending on the extent of contamination.
https://www.epa.gov/ust/frequent-questions-about-underground-storage-tanks

http://www.mde.state.md.us/assets/document/factsheets/Heating Oil Release.pdf

I can imagine Joe Blow pumping used fuel oil into a few 55 gal. drums and driving them down the road. If something happens, that's a major cleanup cost. I wouldn't trust anyone besides a company to do it, but maybe that's me.

If the OP is done using their tank, it needs to be closed. If it's underground,
Closing Permanently
If you decide to close your UST permanently, follow these requirements for permanent closure: •Notify the implementing agency at least 30 days before you close your UST.
•Determine if contamination from your UST is present in the surrounding environment. If there is contamination, you may have to take corrective action. For at least 3 years, keep a record of the actions you take to determine if contamination is present at the site (or you can mail this record to your implementing agency).
•Either remove the UST from the ground or leave it in the ground. In both cases, the tank must be emptied and cleaned by removing all liquids, dangerous vapor levels, and accumulated sludge. These potentially very hazardous actions need to be carried out carefully by trained professionals who follow standard safety practices. If you leave the UST in the ground, have it filled with a harmless, chemically inactive solid, like sand, or close it in place in a manner approved by the implementing agency.
https://www.epa.gov/ust/resources-ust-owners-and-operators#closing

black dog

Free America
WOW you told me,. I'm betting you never spent any time on a farm have you ?
Or a petroleum storage facility.....:dye:
Nana Nana boo boo..

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
we haul and transfer about 2000 gallons of fuel oil a year in plastic drums and one truck-mounted tank. Electric transfer pumps. It's not difficult. Don't have the tank capacity to move more than 100 gallons over the road at one time though....or I'd be all over free fuel.