Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I had to put my best friend to sleep yesterday

Sorry

Sorry about your friend. I had a pretty similar situation with my 14 year old Lab in May. It was terrible but necessary. I've second guessed myself for months even though I know that I did the right thing by him.

I am very sorry for your loss, and know all too well what you're going through. Some day, there will be another four-legged baby that will capture another piece of your heart. Hugs to you.
    You have become responsible forever, for what you have tamed. "Antoine de Saint Exupery"

Going for a walk, or a ride to the dump...will be intolerably boring. Wanting to share random thoughts of the day with your pal...won't ever bee the same. I don't think I can get another dog...they just tear into my heart too much. So very sorry for this day for you..
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

Ditto what everyone has said. We lost 2 dogs, and 2 cats in the last 3 years; granted they were all between 13 and 16 years old, but it is never easy. Hang in there. And, as far as Roman's comment. I thought we would never get another pet because it was too heart wrenching to lose them. But, we now have Daisy Doodle who is such a love. Our past pets are living on through her, and I think she knows it, and they do, too.
    ​​Like I said. JMO, yo! - Roman
    If you ignore the trolls, they starve. - Wishbone

Quote Originally Posted by Puddleducker View Post
    Sorry about your friend. I had a pretty similar situation with my 14 year old Lab in May. It was terrible but necessary. I've second guessed myself for months even though I know that I did the right thing by him.
    That is the hardest part about. I keep thinking if I had a couple more days to spend with him but when he started coughing up that blood. I had zero choice but to euthanize him. I still have his dog bed in my bedroom...I just can't part with it yet. I washed all his bowls and will put them in the cabinets until the next one. I will get another dog in a few months just right now I want to just remember my best bud and heal. He was my companion for so long and touched so many people in our travels. He loved riding in my truck and was co-pilot. Labor Day weekend we drove up to my grand-mother's house for a visit. He wandered her yard sniffing all the new smells. They live in the woods so he didn't need a leash at all.

My house is to quiet and with boxers when it is quiet they are either getting into something they shouldn't or doing something naughty. As he got older quiet meant he was usually sleeping under my desk. The last year I have worked at home and been with him. I think he enjoyed that the most me being with him. Damnit I am crying again.

Damnit I am crying again.
    You'll do a lot of that, I know I did. It took me awhile to get rid of her toys and beds. I took her food and treats to the animal shelter, thought it was a nice way to honor her memory. It may not seem like it now, but, it will get better with time. You'll still miss him, but just the thought of him will bring a smile to your face, not so many tears to your eyes.

Rest in peace, Tuggy. Big hug to you, Chevy.
    "It's nice to be important but it's also important to be nice."

I just saw your post this morning. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Just went through this a few weeks ago myself with my boy. I am glad to hear that you plan on getting another. Nobody will ever replace an animal you have had, but you can always love another and experience the love that only a pet can bring. God bless.

So sorry to hear of your loss too NextJen. Hugs
    Quote Originally Posted by NextJen View Post
    I just saw your post this morning. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Just went through this a few weeks ago myself with my boy. I am glad to hear that you plan on getting another. Nobody will ever replace an animal you have had, but you can always love another and experience the love that only a pet can bring. God bless.
    You have become responsible forever, for what you have tamed. "Antoine de Saint Exupery"

I got approved to be a doggie faster to the FL Boxer rescue. I got my girl the other day. She is going through heartworm treatment right now. At this moment she is passed out on my bed while I work. She isn't a Klingon dog. More of a I want to lay in your bed and snooze.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.