I had to put my best friend to sleep yesterday

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
I had to put my best friend to sleep yesterday. It was one of the hardest decisions I have had to make. I knew in the next few months I was going to need to do it since he was having a lot of problems walking and I would have to lift him up when he was laying on the floor. I have had to lift him up into the truck and my bed for a long time but they are both high up. Yesterday morning he started to cough and sneeze up blood. I was on the phone with my job when it started getting bad. I knew it was time. I had promised him a long time ago that I would not make him suffer due to my sadness. We have had a few close calls but he always rallied.

I had to call around and find a vet due to not having one here in FL. Finding one to do it was a non-issue with his age and the issues we were having. She said I made the right decision because most likely he had tumors in his respiratory track. He has been panting a lot more the last couple of months but I chalked it up to the high heat we have here and same with him getting more tired.

My life is so empty now without him being around. It is so quiet in my apartment without his snoring. He was ready to go to the bridge and meet up his with doggie friend (Missy) and all the other boxers that left before him.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Sorry to hear that. I've had to put down three dogs in the last 40 years, and it is very difficult. The last two times I made my wife be there with me. Very difficult coming home and telling the young un's the bad news.

Memories are forever.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Terribly sorry for you. My dogs have always been super close to me too....the one we have now is no exception and he's starting to get up in years too.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I know the pain you feel. :huggy: I've found it harder to lose furry family members than regular family members.

(And yes I cried when Hooch was killed.) :bawl:

luvmygdaughters

So sorry for the loss of your 4 legged family member. Unless you've known that kind of love, its hard for people to understand. I can understand your feelings, when I had to have my girl put down after 18 years together, coming home was not the same. My husband works nights so she was the one who always greeted me after coming home from work. I hope knowing you gave your friend a good quality life and love helps to ease the pain some.:poorbaby:

ginwoman

Very sorry for your loss. It is a hard decision to make but sounds like it was the right decision. :bawl:

Sorry

Sorry about your friend. I had a pretty similar situation with my 14 year old Lab in May. It was terrible but necessary. I've second guessed myself for months even though I know that I did the right thing by him.

Roman

I am very sorry for your loss, and know all too well what you're going through. Some day, there will be another four-legged baby that will capture another piece of your heart. Hugs to you.

Hessian

Going for a walk, or a ride to the dump...will be intolerably boring. Wanting to share random thoughts of the day with your pal...won't ever bee the same. I don't think I can get another dog...they just tear into my heart too much. So very sorry for this day for you..

littlelady

God bless the USA
Ditto what everyone has said. We lost 2 dogs, and 2 cats in the last 3 years; granted they were all between 13 and 16 years old, but it is never easy. :frown: :huggy: Hang in there. And, as far as Roman's comment. I thought we would never get another pet because it was too heart wrenching to lose them. But, we now have Daisy Doodle who is such a love. Our past pets are living on through her, and I think she knows it, and they do, too.

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
Sorry about your friend. I had a pretty similar situation with my 14 year old Lab in May. It was terrible but necessary. I've second guessed myself for months even though I know that I did the right thing by him.

That is the hardest part about. I keep thinking if I had a couple more days to spend with him but when he started coughing up that blood. I had zero choice but to euthanize him. I still have his dog bed in my bedroom...I just can't part with it yet. I washed all his bowls and will put them in the cabinets until the next one. I will get another dog in a few months just right now I want to just remember my best bud and heal. He was my companion for so long and touched so many people in our travels. He loved riding in my truck and was co-pilot. Labor Day weekend we drove up to my grand-mother's house for a visit. He wandered her yard sniffing all the new smells. They live in the woods so he didn't need a leash at all.

My house is to quiet and with boxers when it is quiet they are either getting into something they shouldn't or doing something naughty. As he got older quiet meant he was usually sleeping under my desk. The last year I have worked at home and been with him. I think he enjoyed that the most me being with him. Damnit I am crying again.

luvmygdaughters

Damnit I am crying again.
You'll do a lot of that, I know I did. It took me awhile to get rid of her toys and beds. I took her food and treats to the animal shelter, thought it was a nice way to honor her memory. It may not seem like it now, but, it will get better with time. You'll still miss him, but just the thought of him will bring a smile to your face, not so many tears to your eyes.

NextJen

Raisin cane
I just saw your post this morning. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Just went through this a few weeks ago myself with my boy. I am glad to hear that you plan on getting another. Nobody will ever replace an animal you have had, but you can always love another and experience the love that only a pet can bring. God bless.

Roman

So sorry to hear of your loss too NextJen. Hugs
I just saw your post this morning. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Just went through this a few weeks ago myself with my boy. I am glad to hear that you plan on getting another. Nobody will ever replace an animal you have had, but you can always love another and experience the love that only a pet can bring. God bless.

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
I got approved to be a doggie faster to the FL Boxer rescue. I got my girl the other day. She is going through heartworm treatment right now. At this moment she is passed out on my bed while I work. She isn't a Klingon dog. More of a I want to lay in your bed and snooze.