Trump to call for six weeks paid maternity leave

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
"Donald Trump will call for six weeks of paid maternity leave for new mothers in a Tuesday policy address, breaking with GOP orthodoxy.

The GOP presidential nominee will outline the policy as part of a speech sketching out his child-care plans as Trump reaches out to female voters.

"Our plan ... creates a bipartisan solution to the issue of maternity leave," a Trump aide said on a Tuesday campaign call with reporters.

"Our campaign is about getting things done for the American people and we believe we've found a solution on paid maternity leave that could get very broad, bipartisan support, and be completely self-financing."

The campaign said new mothers will receive unemployment benefits for six weeks paid for by eliminating fraud in unemployment insurance, describing the maternity leave as a "safety net" for new mothers. "

More here: http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/295608-trump-to-call-for-six-weeks-paid-maternity-leave

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Hey Shortbus, didn't YOU post a thread in the last 2 WEEKS Stating Trump is NOT a Conservative :shrug:

why does this then, come as any surprise - that Trump does things traditionally NOT Conservative

:smack:

seekeroftruth

Actually, after the 2008 bust, unemployment insurance went up to cover the cost. So to say that it is self supporting is not entirely correct.

Small business will pay either way.

:coffee:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Here we go again. Another new "shiny object" that is going to supposedly going to be paid for by eliminating "waste, fraud and abuse". What a total crock. If the "waste, fraud and abuse" is known, why hasn't it been eliminated already? It's as if there is some boundless pot of gold out there under the "waste, fraud and abuse" rainbow that everyone wants to claim yet nobody ever finds.

tommyjo

Here we go again. Another new "shiny object" that is going to supposedly going to be paid for by eliminating "waste, fraud and abuse". What a total crock. If the "waste, fraud and abuse" is known, why hasn't it been eliminated already? It's as if there is some boundless pot of gold out there under the "waste, fraud and abuse" rainbow that everyone wants to claim yet nobody ever finds.

Wow....way to go Gilligan! An actual intelligent and well thought out post!

Maybe there is hope for you yet?!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If the "waste, fraud and abuse" is known, why hasn't it been eliminated already?

You know the answer to that: because the wasters, frauders, and abusers are the ones making the laws and crafting the budget.

We could absolutely be spending our tax dollars in a more effective and economical manner, reallocating funds from pork and pointless foreign aid to actually doing something for, you know, Americans. I can't think why you might disagree with that.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I can't think why you might disagree with that.

Nothing to do with agreeing or not. Simply noting that I've completely lost count, over my lifetime, of how many things were supposedly going to be paid for by reducing waste, fraud and abuse. It's not even a sad joke any more.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
What's hilarious is watching libprogs bouncing around like St. Vitus dancers to criticize Trump calling for maternity leave....when they're the ones who've been bitching about it for years. So now that Satan Hitler Trump wants to do it, suddenly it's the WORST IDEA EVER!!! :jameo: :cds:

:lmao:

Trump should call for a $15 minimum wage, and praise Obamacare. Then the libprogs would start bitching and crying about what a stupid idea that is as well.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
What's hilarious is watching libprogs bouncing around like St. Vitus dancers to criticize Trump calling for maternity leave....when they're the ones who've been bitching about it for years. So now that Satan Hitler Trump wants to do it, suddenly it's the WORST IDEA EVER!!! :jameo: :cds:

Trump should call for a $15 minimum wage, and praise Obamacare. Then the libprogs would start bitching and crying about what a stupid idea that is as well.
:roflmao:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Nothing to do with agreeing or not. Simply noting that I've completely lost count, over my lifetime, of how many things were supposedly going to be paid for by reducing waste, fraud and abuse. It's not even a sad joke any more.

Don't forget that tax increases are supposed to go for (insert pet project here), yet they never do. And all the unconstitutional anti-American laws that are "for the children".

It's interesting to watch "conservatives" rail about the status quo; then when someone from the outside comes in, they rail against that too because...it's not the status quo.

Did you read the link I posted last night?

http://www.claremont.org/crb/basicpage/the-flight-93-election/

b23hqb

PREMO Member
I see this as a potential carrot Trump is dangling to not only Dems that can't stand hrc, but also to conservative lawmakers, a bit of a bribe if you will: "if I'm elected, I will guarantee you that I will only nominate a very conservative judge for the USSC vacancy, if you guarantee me that I'll get this, and maybe a few other left leaning proposals".

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I see this as a potential carrot Trump is dangling to not only Dems that can't stand hrc, but also to conservative lawmakers, a bit of a bribe if you will: "if I'm elected, I will guarantee you that I will only nominate a very conservative judge for the USSC vacancy, if you guarantee me that I'll get this, and maybe a few other left leaning proposals".

I don't have major heartburn with the benefit proposal, what little we know of it at this point. It's the "we'll pay for it with savings from eliminating fraud" canard that is beyond laughable.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
No but I did read TJ's synopsis of it..whadid I miss? :razz:

I can't think why you want to be rude and combative with me. And since I have no desire to fight with you, and I'm pretty sure you'll be feeling better tomorrow, today you go on Ignore so I don't say something to you that I'll regret.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I can't think why you want to be rude and combative with me. And since I have no desire to fight with you, and I'm pretty sure you'll be feeling better tomorrow, today you go on Ignore so I don't say something to you that I'll regret.

I'll be in Denmark tomorrow....back in a week or so. You'll probably miss me after a few days. :duel:

SamSpade

Can someone tell me what is standard paid maternity leave? For like, most businesses? I've spent most of my career either in federal employ or working as a contractor, so my experience is like - so what?

I know that there's nothing guaranteed by law - it's just been my experience that large companies offer it. The only thing guaranteed by law is the 12 weeks of unpaid leave. You can just leave for three months, and no one can do much about it.

THAT said - I did just read that just about every nation in the world offers SOME - and that includes some of the poorest nations and most backward countries out there.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Can someone tell me what is standard paid maternity leave? For like, most businesses? I've spent most of my career either in federal employ or working as a contractor, so my experience is like - so what?

I know that there's nothing guaranteed by law - it's just been my experience that large companies offer it. The only thing guaranteed by law is the 12 weeks of unpaid leave. You can just leave for three months, and no one can do much about it.

THAT said - I did just read that just about every nation in the world offers SOME - and that includes some of the poorest nations and most backward countries out there.

My first husband's uncle was a businessman, more specifically he was a business flipper - as in, he would buy a failing business, turn it around, sell it for an enormous profit, then move on to the next project. He was always leery about hiring women, and had only one female manager that I'm aware of in his whole career. His wife was even more emphatic about this than he was.

The reason: women let their family and personal lives interfere with their careers. They are usually the primary caregivers for the children; they have husbands who resent their work; they get pregnant; etc. Men, by contrast, are typically career-first and a better investment. Which explains why they generally get paid more.

The business of business is...business. It's not to facilitate your personal life, or make sure you have plenty of time to bond with your baby. Businesses are there to provide a product/service, the end. I'm interested in when this started, the idea that businesses had to be all about their employees' home/leisure/personal lives. I'll put it on my long list of subjects to research when I get some time.

This_person

I don't follow them much of the time when it gets like this, but I'm guessing the argument is either that it is not enough (UI is much lower than the normal paycheck) or it's being paid for out of dollars meant for "poor, hard-working, underprivileged people's entitled benefits" instead of out of the profit of the companies involved. Libprogs love to believe that when they call for new mandates on companies, the companies will be forced to take it out of profit instead of raise the price of their goods and services.

The only thing guaranteed by law is the 12 weeks of unpaid leave. You can just leave for three months, and no one can do much about it.
:yeahthat: This was my experience for my two pregnancies. My company offered short term disability insurance that we could elect to pay the premiums for out of our paycheck each month. I chose to do so which meant that once I waited for the "two weeks without pay" period to be over, the insurance paid out 60% of my income for the remaining 6 weeks. I was allowed to be on short term disability for 8 weeks because I had a C-section. If I had natural birth I would only be allowed 6 weeks of short term disability (two weeks without pay - the remaining 4 weeks paid out at 60% of pay).

If I saved enough accrued leave to cover the first two weeks of leave that disability did not cover then I still have my regular income for those two weeks. If I wanted to stay on maternity leave longer than the 8 weeks of short term disability I would have had to use accrued leave already on the books (if any) or take LWOP for the remainder of the 12 weeks.

One thing folks don't often think about is that even though the law allows you to take up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave for FMLA, typically benefits DO NOT accrue while you are on LWOP and the company does not legally have to pay out on any benefits while you are on LWOP including insurance premiums they normally cover.
"