Two law professors say it’s time to end pet ownership

Misfit

Lawful neutral
https://aeon.co/essays/why-keeping-a-pet-is-fundamentally-unethical
We oppose domestication and pet ownership because these violate the fundamental rights of animals.

The term ‘animal rights’ has become largely meaningless. Anyone who thinks that we should give battery hens a small increase in cage space, or that veal calves should be housed in social units rather than in isolation before they are dragged off and slaughtered, is articulating what is generally regarded as an ‘animal rights’ position.

The bottom line: whether you adopt an animal-rights position and recognize that animals must have a basic, pre-legal right not to be property, or you stay with conventional wisdom, the result is the same: substantially all of our uses of animals must be abolished.

And this includes dogs, cats and other non-humans who serve as our ‘companions’.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I just asked Apollo what he thinks and he says he loves being a pet, for the most part. He's expressed a desire to make more of his own decisions - such as being able to chase rabbits and cars and lawn tractors - but I've explained to him that the reason he can't make his own decisions is because he doesn't make good ones, and think how bad he'd feel if he got squished or eaten by a wolf and missed pizza night. Our discussions regarding impulse control are largely ignored by him, much like a parent/teenager relationship.

He said I can call him a refugee instead of a pet if I want, but it makes no difference to him.

luvmygdaughters

Capt. Morgan and I just had a discussion about this very same thing. She advised that she would prefer to be known as my 4-legged daughter. This of course would infer that she has all rights and freedoms as my two legged daughters. When I informed her that she would then be responsible fo,r washing her dog dish after meals, picking up and putting away her toys, only one snack a day, making her bed every morning, she seemed okay with that. However, the deal killer for her was when I mentioned....the dreaded....

DAILY BATH!!!!!:yikes:

She decided she would just like to stay a pet, being spoiled and just having a great time everyday!!!!