Traffic Rant "Your Speed" sign in Wildewood

I suppose we need to thank St. Mary's County Public Works for the new "Your Speed" sign on Wildewood Parkway. Now people will be able to calibrate their speedometers as they pass by the sign doing their usual 45+ MPH! Maybe PW should place one on the parkway in the area prior to the swimming pool, and the 55+ crowd can calibrate theirs also! Obviously this is St. Mary's County's answer and deterrent to speeding on one of the worst "residential" roads in the county. Speed limit is 30 MPH; yeah, right! How about some active traffic enforcement,say, between the hours of 6:30AM - 9:00AM, and 2:30PM - 7:30PM? Maybe even sneak down here between 8:00PM - 10PM and watch the idiots come flying down the road. I've lived here for 17 years and absolutely refuse to walk on Wildewood Parkway. I've got news for people: Those pedestrian and bike lane white lines mean nothing to most drivers through here. I guess the county commissioners and transportation department threw away those plans they had to address the traffic issue on this road. What about the round-abouts that were touted? Hell, I'd settle for a few 4-way stops signs at some of the worst intersections. But, Public Works says that's a bad idea because "it would only slow people down"! Brilliant logic!

knockonwood

volunteer

A bad effort is better than no effort .

The Sherriffs Dept has a ride along program. Sign up and ride along they will show you how short handed they are and maybe if you show some interest in what they do you can ride through your own neighborhood with them.

glhs837

Power with Control
Oddly enough, studies have shown that the "your speed" signs do have a slowing effect on traffic. But more to the point, if everybody is speeding, that's a good sign that a real traffic study needs to be performed and the speed limit set in accordance with the 85th percentile speed IAW the NHTSA recommendations. I know we lose hund..tens.. well, two or... wait, have we lost anyone ever on that roadway? Even been a pedestrian or bicyclist hit on that roadway? Or is this really just "OHMAGERD, them fast cars are scary, they must be unsafe!!!!?"

People travel at the speed they feel is safe, it's a fact. And the number of accidents can prove or disprove that.

BlueOx77

I suppose we need to thank St. Mary's County Public Works for the new "Your Speed" sign on Wildewood Parkway. Now people will be able to calibrate their speedometers as they pass by the sign doing their usual 45+ MPH! Maybe PW should place one on the parkway in the area prior to the swimming pool, and the 55+ crowd can calibrate theirs also! Obviously this is St. Mary's County's answer and deterrent to speeding on one of the worst "residential" roads in the county. Speed limit is 30 MPH; yeah, right! How about some active traffic enforcement,say, between the hours of 6:30AM - 9:00AM, and 2:30PM - 7:30PM? Maybe even sneak down here between 8:00PM - 10PM and watch the idiots come flying down the road. I've lived here for 17 years and absolutely refuse to walk on Wildewood Parkway. I've got news for people: Those pedestrian and bike lane white lines mean nothing to most drivers through here. I guess the county commissioners and transportation department threw away those plans they had to address the traffic issue on this road. What about the round-abouts that were touted? Hell, I'd settle for a few 4-way stops signs at some of the worst intersections. But, Public Works says that's a bad idea because "it would only slow people down"! Brilliant logic!

The anguish and hell of living in Wildewood...

Oddly enough, studies have shown that the "your speed" signs do have a slowing effect on traffic. But more to the point, if everybody is speeding, that's a good sign that a real traffic study needs to be performed and the speed limit set in accordance with the 85th percentile speed IAW the NHTSA recommendations. I know we lose hund..tens.. well, two or... wait, have we lost anyone ever on that roadway? Even been a pedestrian or bicyclist hit on that roadway? Or is this really just "OHMAGERD, them fast cars are scary, they must be unsafe!!!!?"

People travel at the speed they feel is safe, it's a fact. And the number of accidents can prove or disprove that.

Why not just increase the posted to speed to 45MPH? Then people can feel safe driving at 60MPH! While were at it, maybe plant some more trees at the intersections, further decreasing the lines-of-sight. The "slowing effect" will last only until drivers figure out there is no traffic enforcement effort in conjunction with the signs.
Traffic study??? There have been a number of traffic studies done already. ALL county officials, past and present, knew that Wildewood was going to continue to grow over the years, yet refused to address the traffic situation other than to put an access road in off Lawrence Hayden Road. And that only happened because of the emergency need to close the parkway because of a massive natural gas leak a few short years ago. Funny how the county jumped to putting in speed humps throughout that area of WW, yet refuse to do ANYTHING to help control it along the older sections! It's your contention that unless someone is killed, or seriously injured, there is no need to do anything? Because no one has drowned at a swimming pool, do you do not have lifeguards?

BernieP

Resident PIA
A bad effort is better than no effort .

not bad, there are random enforcements - usually in the AM or PM "rush hour" times. But there are not enough deputies in the county to have one stationed on the parkway day in / day out. So, the sign is at least a reminder. Though I doubt the people who speed are paying attention. If they were they would notice the foot and bike traffic on both sides of the road - and stop using those designated paths as passing lanes. There is no margin for error, no barrier, not even a curb. Frankly when I drive that road during the day I am down right scared of some little kid or dog scooting out into the road.

For those who live in Wildewood, who want to see the speeding controlled, watch your driving, do the limit, make complete stops and be alert. It only highlights the speeders.
Eventually they will get caught.

glhs837

Power with Control
Why not just increase the posted to speed to 45MPH? Then people can feel safe driving at 60MPH! While were at it, maybe plant some more trees at the intersections, further decreasing the lines-of-sight. The "slowing effect" will last only until drivers figure out there is no traffic enforcement effort in conjunction with the signs.
Traffic study??? There have been a number of traffic studies done already. ALL county officials, past and present, knew that Wildewood was going to continue to grow over the years, yet refused to address the traffic situation other than to put an access road in off Lawrence Hayden Road. And that only happened because of the emergency need to close the parkway because of a massive natural gas leak a few short years ago. Funny how the county jumped to putting in speed humps throughout that area of WW, yet refuse to do ANYTHING to help control it along the older sections! It's your contention that unless someone is killed, or seriously injured, there is no need to do anything? Because no one has drowned at a swimming pool, do you do not have lifeguards?

See, again, every study done has shown that if you set the limit at the 85th percentile, traffic keeps going at the speed they were. It doesnt go 10 or 15 over, it goes at the speed people feel safe. By traffic study, I mean someone sits there in an unmarked vehicle and measures traffic speeds, over time and at different times of day. Not quantity, but strictly speed. Ever been one of those done? I'll bet not.

Well, lets fix real problems, not perceived ones that have not materialized. If it were as dangerous as you think, then by now something would have happened.

CrashTest

ALL county officials, past and present, knew that Wildewood was going to continue to grow over the years, yet refused to address the traffic situation other than to put an access road in off Lawrence Hayden Road. And that only happened because of the emergency need to close the parkway because of a massive natural gas leak a few short years ago. Funny how the county jumped to putting in speed humps throughout that area of WW, yet refuse to do ANYTHING to help control it along the older sections!

They put that road there and then add humps making it too miserable to use. Next time you're in Leonardtown be very very quiet. Brainiacs hard at work.

Bonehead

Yeah my son lives in wildewood fat chance doing 30 without some azzhat planted or your rear bumper ! Eff em I just slow down don't like 30 how about 25 ? Or maybe 20 your choice.

glhs837

Power with Control
Yeah my son lives in wildewood fat chance doing 30 without some azzhat planted or your rear bumper ! Eff em I just slow down don't like 30 how about 25 ? Or maybe 20 your choice.

Yep, cause that helps, Officer Bonehead...... and no, I dont advocate nor do I practice tailgating. But self policing by dropping lower accomplishes nothing except raising rage levels.

NewsJunky

I agree with OP. At the very least, a four way stop at the intersection of Wildewood Parkway and Wildewood Boulevard is needed badly.
Make another exit out of Wildewood down on the other side - one that is actually convenient and will be used. Add speed bumps all the way along Wildewood Parkway.
I've lived in Wildewood since 1993 and its gotten awful.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Yep, cause that helps, Officer Bonehead...... and no, I dont advocate nor do I practice tailgating. But self policing by dropping lower accomplishes nothing except raising rage levels.

Thank you, you beat me to it. Just do the damn speed limit and watch all the pretty women walking and running :)

BTW - There will be a community forum with the Sherriff in the Wildewood Lodge
Residents of Wildewood,

The St. Mary’s County Citizens Advisory Board has contacted the Wildewood Community Association to hold a town hall type meeting with the Sheriff here at the Wildewood Lodge. The event is scheduled to occur on October 15th , from 5:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m., and will be open to all interested Wildewood residents.

They have requested input from the community in advance of the meeting to assist them in developing an agenda that will best address the common interests of the community. It would be greatly appreciated if you have any suggestions for discussion topics that you please email them to me at wca@ww-link.com . I will consolidate the information and provide it to advisory board, per their request. It would also be very helpful if you are interested in attending the meeting that you please note it in your email. This will help in planning the meeting space as there will be limited seating available.

You will receive an email reminder prior to the meeting in October with the meeting agenda.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Bonehead

Boo effin hoo. Don't tailgate no problems. Pretty simple.

Tito

Donkey Smell
Traffic in and around Wildewood blows. I deal with it daily and is great cause for migraines. Number one people need to pay attention!

Bonehead

Everything works smoothly when people obey the rules and do simple things like use their turn signal, stop at stop signs, slow down at a yellow light, you know basic stuff. When they don't you can't depend on anything...and driving blows.

Tito

Donkey Smell
Everything works smoothly when people obey the rules and do simple things like use their turn signal, stop at stop signs, slow down at a yellow light, you know basic stuff. When they don't you can't depend on anything...and driving blows.

and pay attention. Put the effing phones makeup and food down! Everybody so busy doing everything but driving.