Dryer Repair

PsyOps

Pixelated
Any dryer experts? I have a Whirlpool Duet dryer. I can get the display control panel to come on, but when pushing any of the buttons they don't respond. Won't start, can't change temp settings, etc... If I unplug it for 30 minutes, PF (power failure) flashes and I can't get it to clear. Sometimes, if I let it set over night it will run one load, then go into this problem for the next load. I have replaced the thermister, thermal fuse, and the computer control board. I have not replaced the front control panel yet.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

vince77

Any dryer experts? I have a Whirlpool Duet dryer. I can get the display control panel to come on, but when pushing any of the buttons they don't respond. Won't start, can't change temp settings, etc... If I unplug it for 30 minutes, PF (power failure) flashes and I can't get it to clear. Sometimes, if I let it set over night it will run one load, then go into this problem for the next load. I have replaced the thermister, thermal fuse, and the computer control board. I have not replaced the front control panel yet.

Any ideas?

New front control panel is $100 +. Why are you replacing parts if you don't know what the problem is? Call a repair man. It's cheaper than this approach.

PsyOps

Pixelated
New front control panel is $100 +. Why are you replacing parts if you don't know what the problem is? Call a repair man. It's cheaper than this approach.

I'm going with the most obvious to the least. If it's something I can do, I will do it rather than pay a guy $500 to do what I know I can do. The dryer is over 10 years old, so it's not worth me calling a gyu out at this point. The thermister and thermal fuse were cheap and easy to replace. The computer not so much, but I was leaning towards the computer because of the way it was behaving - it would work then not. Unplug it for a while, it would work, then not. This sort of thing indicates a component on the computer board going bad. When I first replaced the computer board it worked perfectly. Now it's back to what it was originally doing.

Last edited:

black dog

Free America

Yep, without the diagnostic skills to correctly find the failed part, wire, connector, ect. you are shooting in the dark.

Last edited:
Maybe a safety interlock switch. Like on the door. Jump it out and see if you get response.

Nebermind. I re-read your 1st post. Not an interlock issue.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I can get the display control panel to come on, but when pushing any of the buttons they don't respond.

I have not replaced the front control panel yet.

I would have started with the front panel, what does Google Say :shrug:

Chris0nllyn

Sounds like the panel (I'm no expert).

I wonder if it runs a load after leaving it unplugged for awhile because the capacitors lose their charge.

Good luck. Fixing these few things is still cheaper than a new dryer. :lol:

Spending money to get it fixed FAR outweighs any conflicts with the wife who is losing patience with you trying to fix it and having to drag clothes to the laundromat.

I would have purchased a new one, repaired the old one the side, then sold it to recoup some of the cost of the new one.