Anybody use LetGo around here???

Restitution

Was trying to search for a phone yesterday and sent messages to 5 (yes... 5) different people with interest. Got to the point where we worked out a deal for the phone and then I would suggest that we meet at a local law enforcement station to make the deal in order to protect both of us.

Seems that ALL 5 didn't want to speak after that!

Is it really that shady around here? I can only guess that they backed down because it was a hoax and/or an attempt to rob me. I mean... who in their right mind doesn't want to meet where both parties are safe?

One of them even played the 2 person role. Initially messaging me as the seller. Then, turning into the "protective wife" who won't let them meet anywhere because they had "been robbed before." I offered to meet at the State Police barracks but..... that wasn't good enough. Might pull a gun on them in the police station and rob them.

SHADY!!!

Goldenhawk

No, haven't tried it, but I get the same kind of results with Craigslist. Last three items I've posted (appliances and furniture) I get requests to ship in exchange for a certified check. Hmmm. I'm offering some $50 used appliance and you want to pay to ship it somewhere? Very funny, ain't buying that line.

People are fairly scummy.

On the plus side, I've closed a few successful deals with very nice people who I genuinely enjoyed meeting. You just have to wade thru all the nonsense to get there.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
You know what?

I live about 35-40 minutes from the police barrack in Leonardtown, and about 20 minutes to the substation in Lexington Park. It's not convenient for me to meet you at a police station because YOU don't feel comfortable meeting me at my home/place of work/or a mutually agreed upon place.

It doesn't make me "sketchy" or "shady"; it makes me a busy person with little free time who doesn't have patience for that foolishness.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
You know what?

I live about 35-40 minutes from the police barrack in Leonardtown, and about 20 minutes to the substation in Lexington Park. It's not convenient for me to meet you at a police station because YOU don't feel comfortable meeting me at my home/place of work/or a mutually agreed upon place.

It doesn't make me "sketchy" or "shady"; it makes me a busy person with little free time who doesn't have patience for that foolishness.

But if OP post is correct, why stop all communication? Why not just say it's too far and can we meet somewhere else that is public? Although, I have had people just stop communicating for a few days then reappear asking where to meet. By then, I've moved on though.

Restitution

You know what?

Hmmmm..... foolishness?

So.... instead of meeting at a known safe area, you would rather meet at your HOME? Or an unknown open location? Seriously?? All because it is 20 minutes away?

I guess I value my safety a bit more than others.

EDIT: Worried wife???

glhs837

Power with Control
Yeah, we have a +90% success rate with CL. But I"ve never tried to buy a phone. That has to one of the most resold stolen items you can find, I would think. Cars, appliances, furniture, all sort of stuff, but never phones.

Restitution

But if OP post is correct, why stop all communication? Why not just say it's too far and can we meet somewhere else that is public? Although, I have had people just stop communicating for a few days then reappear asking where to meet. By then, I've moved on though.

I agree. I had one seller propose that I wire the money to them and they would provide a picture/email of the shipping receipt. Really?? In this day and age... would someone actually agree to that?

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
I agree. I had one seller propose that I wire the money to them and they would provide a picture/email of the shipping receipt. Really?? In this day and age... would someone actually agree to that?

I had that once too. Ummm, no thank you. I don't need to sell it that bad, lol.

glhs837

Power with Control

This. Never asked anyone to meet at a police station, except now that I'm selling a car, but I offered that since the seller was supposed to be bringing 7K in cash. But I can see where someone not feeling safe. But like BG, I would offer a compromise. In your case, BG, I would offer to meet at a place known close to me to be inhabited by folks who would jump up and proceed to get physical on someone attempting to rob someone. Say St James or the Rod and Reel. Maybe the St Marys College safety office?

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Hmmmm..... foolishness?

So.... instead of meeting at a known safe area, you would rather meet at your HOME? Or an unknown open location? Seriously?? All because it is 20 minutes away?

I guess I value my safety a bit more than others.

EDIT: Worried wife???
But see, it isn't only 20 minutes away. It's really 20 minutes to the location, a 5-10 minute gab-fest/transaction, and another 20 minutes to get home. At that point, I've got almost an hour wrapped up in a simple transaction. Nope, not gonna do it. But, hey, that's just me.

And I have purchased a LOT of stuff on-line, where I've had to pick up stuff at people's homes, or where they've come to my house. And, yes, a few times where I've met people in the Target parking lot to complete a transaction. But that's convenient for me, because I had already planned on shopping at Target anyway.

But the beauty is if YOU aren't comfortable with the negotiated plans of a buyer/seller transaction, the you have the right to cancel or stop negotiation. You are absolutely in control. They don't want to meet at the police station, then move on to the next seller. But don't assume that the sellers are "shady"...they just may not have time to meet your demands.

Restitution

But see, it isn't only 20 minutes away. It's really 20 minutes to the location, a 5-10 minute gab-fest/transaction, and another 20 minutes to get home. At that point, I've got almost an hour wrapped up in a simple transaction. Nope, not gonna do it. But, hey, that's just me.

And I have purchased a LOT of stuff on-line, where I've had to pick up stuff at people's homes, or where they've come to my house. And, yes, a few times where I've met people in the Target parking lot to complete a transaction. But that's convenient for me, because I had already planned on shopping at Target anyway.

But the beauty is if YOU aren't comfortable with the negotiated plans of a buyer/seller transaction, the you have the right to cancel or stop negotiation. You are absolutely in control. They don't want to meet at the police station, then move on to the next seller. But don't assume that the sellers are "shady"...they just may not have time to meet your demands.

I can somewhat understand your reasoning here. Although, I personally would rather go the little extra distance to ensure safety. I would absolutely NOT meet at my home... no, no, no.

I just found it odd because 5 of the 6 people I spoke to were within a 10 minute drive of either the LP station or the Leonardtown station so it wasn't like it was a major inconvenience. 10 minute drive tops!

I'm sorry but, if someone is not willing to get off their duff and drive 10 minutes for a safe transaction... it's shady. Period!

EDIT: It could have to do with the merch like glhs mentioned earlier. Cell phones are one of thee most easily sold stolen pieces of merchandise

Last edited:

Goldenhawk

Cell phones are one of the most easily sold stolen pieces of merchandise
True - but also easily locked out by the cell phone companies, and (in the case of an iPhone at least) trackable and lockable by Apple. An iPhone reported as stolen goes immediately onto a national blacklist and pretty much is permanently bricked as a phone, at least inside the US. In fact, most stolen iPhones apparently end up going overseas, mostly to China. That doesn't do much good for a local purchaser. I don't really understand why there's a black market for them.

Of course, maybe the purchasers are just too dumb to know that.

Restitution

True - but also easily locked out by the cell phone companies, and (in the case of an iPhone at least) trackable and lockable by Apple. An iPhone reported as stolen goes immediately onto a national blacklist and pretty much is permanently bricked as a phone, at least inside the US.

That's why I started asking for the IMEI number recently. I can check the status of the phone. If the seller does not provide it I can safely assume that there is something wrong with it.

glhs837

Power with Control
True - but also easily locked out by the cell phone companies, and (in the case of an iPhone at least) trackable and lockable by Apple. An iPhone reported as stolen goes immediately onto a national blacklist and pretty much is permanently bricked as a phone, at least inside the US. In fact, most stolen iPhones apparently end up going overseas, mostly to China. That doesn't do much good for a local purchaser. I don't really understand why there's a black market for them.

Of course, maybe the purchasers are just too dumb to know that.

Yeah, well, thats Apple, which is huge, but still a lot of android phones out there.

Restitution

Had a guy yesterday agree on a price for an IPhone. When I asked him to meet he told me that he does not meet with anyone and he would ship it. I told him we could meet anywhere in the local area (keep in mind that LetGo listed this phone as 10 miles away)

He told me that he was in Indiana!!!!

I asked him if he knew that his phone was listed in Southern Maryland to which he replied "Yep!"

My reply: "Sorry.... not doing this. Good bye!"

Clem72

That's why I started asking for the IMEI number recently. I can check the status of the phone. If the seller does not provide it I can safely assume that there is something wrong with it.

Of course, asking for the IMEI or MEID can make you appear to be a scammer to them. That number can be used to clone a device, or more likely, can be used by a crook to sell a stolen phone to someone like yourself who asks for a number. They could even just be a jerk and use the number to report the phone stolen.

Restitution

Of course, asking for the IMEI or MEID can make you appear to be a scammer to them. That number can be used to clone a device, or more likely, can be used by a crook to sell a stolen phone to someone like yourself who asks for a number. They could even just be a jerk and use the number to report the phone stolen.

I see your point however.....

According to this, every transaction involving a second hand Iphone sale is gonna be a roll of the dice as to whether or not it will be stolen, locked, or just a scam.

I was under the impression that you would need more than just the number to actually report it stolen. I know when I lost an Iphone many years ago, I had to provide a LOT more info than just a simple number.

Grumpy

When buying used stuff, I have a general rule of NOT buying used electronics; phones, TVs, computers..etc. Losing proposition most of the time, IMO.

Clem72

Or if you feel there is enough value in used electronics, use a 3rd party like Gazelle that will also provide a limited warranty. Sure, you won't get as good a deal, but you also won't be scammed.