Blue Angels Won’t Perform at the PAX Air Expo This Year

Restitution

I thought it was fairly well known that the Blue Angels will not perform at the Pax airshow.... like... anymore.

Just not enough of a crowd to warrant them appearing. Didn't they stop coming like YEARS ago?

terbear1225

I thought it was fairly well known that the Blue Angels will not perform at the Pax airshow.... like... anymore.

Just not enough of a crowd to warrant them appearing. Didn't they stop coming like YEARS ago?

they were here a few years ago and were originally scheduled to perform in October.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

Nope I think that goes back to when they told us there would be no more PAX airshows.. not so much the Blue Angels.. but the entire airshow.

awpitt

Main Streeter

No.

Up until Justin now, they were scheduled to perform.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
It may have to do with the report just issued in the recent fatalcrash in Tennessee. It was determined to be pilot error (too fast and too close to ground for the maneuver, a split S).

If I remember the story correctly the team is going through reevaluation of the show and performances will resume after that's done.

BernieP

Resident PIA
It may have to do with the report just issued in the recent fatalcrash in Tennessee. It was determined to be pilot error (too fast and too close to ground for the maneuver, a split S).

If I remember the story correctly the team is going through reevaluation of the show and performances will resume after that's done.

it does. They have adopted new rules on rest after the last fatal crash. The week they were scheduled to be at PAX is the week that was scheduled as down time.
Show was scheduled well before the new rules and it just didn't work out for Air Expo.

FWIW, Air Expo had been canceled for several years because o budget cuts. It had nothing to do with attendance, it was simply the base, NDW, was not funded to host the show.

awpitt

Main Streeter

This is incorrect. The Blue Angles are and have been performing. The change that was made is that they have to take every 8th weekend off for rest. As Bernie said that rotation just happened to land on the weekend of Oct 29-30.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
This is incorrect. The Blue Angles are and have been performing. The change that was made is that they have to take every 8th weekend off for rest. As Bernie said that rotation just happened to land on the weekend of Oct 29-30.

I've heard several people are upset they are cancelled. They supposedly knew their schedule in advance but didn't say until now they weren't performing. Bummer.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I remember looking at their website earlier in the year, and Pax River was their last scheduled performance for the season. I guess they decided there's no sense to do a show at Pax, if their are already doing a show in Baltimore the week before.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I've heard several people are upset they are cancelled. They supposedly knew their schedule in advance but didn't say until now they weren't performing. Bummer.

They are booked a year or more in advance of a show. The decision to stand down every 8th week was not made until July of this year - after the last fatal accident.
Because it's a new rule, nobody has done due diligence and inform the few shows that are affected. It's basically one week every two months and I believe October is the last month of their show season.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
They are booked a year or more in advance of a show. The decision to stand down every 8th week was not made until July of this year - after the last fatal accident.
Because it's a new rule, nobody has done due diligence and inform the few shows that are affected. It's basically one week every two months and I believe October is the last month of their show season.

How far in advance do the advertise about the air show here? If it started after July, I would think they would have been told the Blue Angels could not perform. I saw some people say they were coming specifically to Pax for them. They were not from the area.

BernieP

Resident PIA
How far in advance do the advertise about the air show here? If it started after July, I would think they would have been told the Blue Angels could not perform. I saw some people say they were coming specifically to Pax for them. They were not from the area.

The airshow and the blue angels were announced a while back. Just because the commander issued an order for the stand down, it may not have occurred to send it out to the affected sites. With all the shows they do appear in, I think it's BS to say, "some people say they were coming specifically to Pax for them". They are in Baltimore the week before.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
The airshow and the blue angels were announced a while back. Just because the commander issued an order for the stand down, it may not have occurred to send it out to the affected sites. With all the shows they do appear in, I think it's BS to say, "some people say they were coming specifically to Pax for them". They are in Baltimore the week before.

What I was trying to say was spectators were specifically planning a trip to Pax to see the Blue Angels. Sorry, I didn't explain it better. :( On a personal note, I have never been to the air show here. Saw the Blue Angels as a kid stationed in Norfolk.

bulldog

The original order to revise the schedule only included FY17 and out. Someone of significant authority looked at that from a logic perspective and figured that was not a good approach and directed that they scrub 1 show from the schedule this year. Pax was the only option.
The rest of the show will go on and the Blues will be back...probably in 2 years.