Watch out for Tidewater Dental

Clem72

Just wanted let everyone know of my headache-of-the-day, as I am sure many of the local retirees and/or federal workforce has BC/BS insurance.

Over the years I have had lots of issues with tidewater sending me erroneous bills long after service was completed (usually with a red 90 days past due bill, despite it being the first one they sent).

Almost always this was cleared up with a phone call or two, I never actually owed anything. This time I get a bill for more than $100. Turns out in addition to the normal x-rays they did my last visit, they also did a panoramic x-ray (which BC/BS tells me they do not cover).

Now mind you, I don't have any dental issues, and have no cavities. I go in for simple cleaning and don't even get the fluoride treatment. So when they told me I NEEDED x-rays, and I asked why, the response was because my insurance would cover them and I should get them just to be on the safe side.

But when I call and ask why they would offer an unnecessary service, that's not covered by my insurance (which they should know, it's the #1 insurance in the state), in addition to the normal x-rays which they also performed, the lady on the phone told me they perform services based on need and not based on which insurance you have. So I guess she needs to communicate that to the dental tech.

So if they try to talk you into x-rays remember to opt out of their bullshet panoramic one (unless you have bad teeth I guess or just like to pay for unnecessary stuff) because you may not get reimbursed and the old style x-rays still work just fine.

Anyways, just an FYI and of course my opinion only.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
I'm sure they cover a Panorex. I'm wondering if was too soon to take it? Most insurances only cover that every 3-5 years. Panorex is useless unless you are getting your wisdom teeth out or dentures. A full mouth series should be done. That's better for detecting cavities and bone loss.

Last edited:

Clem72

I'm sure they cover a Panorex. I'm wondering if was too soon to take it? Most insurances only cover that every 3-5 years. Panorex is useless unless you are getting your wisdom teeth our or dentures. A full mouth series should be done. That's better for detecting cavities and bone loss.

Had the full mouth series done at the same time. Again, none of it really necessary as my teeth are excellent. I called BC/BS and they told me they specifically do not cover this type of x-ray, not that they cover it once every so often.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Had the full mouth series done at the same time. Again, none of it really necessary as my teeth are excellent. I called BC/BS and they told me they specifically do not cover this type of x-ray, not that they cover it once every so often.

Interesting. So they did a full mouth ( 18 xrays) and a Pan?! That's a little overkill.

Clem72

Interesting. So they did a full mouth ( 18 xrays) and a Pan?! That's a little overkill.

If a full mouth is 18 shots, then I am mistaken. I was 5 or 6 shots which seemed to me to cover the entirety of my mouth however.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
I think some offices do that instead of 18. Not sure if that can be billed as an full mouth. That's still seems like a lot to me. Not sure what their reasoning would be to warrant all of that.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Federal Employee Program (FEP) BC/BS dental insurance S U C K S.... It covers almost nothing. That's why you need to one of the other dental programs.
But that aside, if you continue to have problems with the billing department, why do you continue to go back?
There are other dentists in the area.

3CATSAILOR

Something about this dental company gave me some negative feelings without knowing anything about them, or ever being there. I have no idea why. Just a gut feeling or seeing how they advertise turned me off. But, perhaps there is something more to it than just a gut feeling. Or, perhaps there are folks out there that think they are great. And for those folks, I hope they enjoy them.

SamSpade

I've never had a problem with them, and I've been going there for years - same as my wife and three kids. We love this place.

However, I do wish they had a pediatric dentist - most of the time my kids don't need one that specializes, but at least a couple times I have.

Roman

I'm sure they cover a Panorex. I'm wondering if was too soon to take it? Most insurances only cover that every 3-5 years. Panorex is useless unless you are getting your wisdom teeth out or dentures. A full mouth series should be done. That's better for detecting cavities and bone loss.
As well as TMJ issues.

awpitt

Main Streeter

My insurance covers the Panorex once each year.

SugarBear47

I've used Tidewater dental with Dr. Cooper for 20 yrs and some of my family for 40, never had any issues with them at all. YOU should know about your own insurance, it's your responsibility, not theirs. And YOU agreed to have your entire mouth xrayed. Those procedures are not cheap and they don't work for free.

MarieB

I think they detect certain cancers too.

But yes it's my understanding that it's usually 3-5 years.

MarieB

I've used Tidewater dental with Dr. Cooper for 20 yrs and some of my family for 40, never had any issues with them at all. YOU should know about your own insurance, it's your responsibility, not theirs. And YOU agreed to have your entire mouth xrayed. Those procedures are not cheap and they don't work for free.

They shouldn't have told them his insurance covers it. It sounds like it was outside of his ordinary experience there, so the information should have been clearly known by them and conveyed to him

Clem72

Federal Employee Program (FEP) BC/BS dental insurance S U C K S.... It covers almost nothing. That's why you need to one of the other dental programs.
But that aside, if you continue to have problems with the billing department, why do you continue to go back?
There are other dentists in the area.

I tried a couple of other local dentists. I didn't like the constant upsell and trying to get me to buy expensive unnecessary items, like the fact that they mention I have grinding damage on my teeth. Never mind that this damage has been present for 40+ years and has not progressed since I had my jaw fixed as a young man. Every time they try to sell me a $600-800 mouth guard (that seems no more sophisticated than the plastic molding mouth guard you can buy for sports for $20), or they insist I must buy a mouth guard to help with sleep apnea because I am overweight. Never mind that I have a recent sleep study showing no sleep apnea.

Heck I had one local dental assistant insist I needed 5 cavities filled based on the results of a machine that she admitted she had only used a couple of times before, and had them schedule a procedure. So I asked the dentist at tidewater for a second opinion and he told me first, that the dentist should have verified the results. The manufacturer of that device explicitly states it's not for diagnosis, only to help show the dentist where to look. And second, that they need to perform a calibration every time they use the machine (which was not done) so what she thought were weak spots in my enamel were just coffee stains.

Tidewater may have constant billing issues, which I tire of, but at least I don't usually feel like I am being hussled every time I go in.

Clem72

I hope you realize how ridiculous it is to expect a patient to know details of medical billing, but not the person who does that billing all day every day. I believe you have now forfeited your right to ever complain about billing from a hospital, auto repair shop, or roofing contractor, since you understand it's your responsibility to know exactly what all of your insurance(s) cover and every possible way they could be billed.

steppinthrax

The dental industry is became more/less the money making industry. If you talk to many dentist they will tell you that most patients only visit them "when it hurts". 90% of dental services involve removal of decay which usually result from bacteria that breaks down sugars into acids which eat tooth enamel. They have been working on a new vaccination that actually prevents "certain bacterias" from colonizing in the mouth. There's been obvious political pressure to prevent it from becoming mainstream. They have been doing clinical trials on this vaccine.

I would say in the near future dentistry services will be significantly reduced and there will be much fewer dentist making much lower salaries than they are making right now...

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
I hope you realize how ridiculous it is to expect a patient to know details of medical billing, but not the person who does that billing all day every day. I believe you have now forfeited your right to ever complain about billing from a hospital, auto repair shop, or roofing contractor, since you understand it's your responsibility to know exactly what all of your insurance(s) cover and every possible way they could be billed.

Not all insurances are the same. Do you know how many there are? Thousands. You and I could both have Metlife but the plans are completely different. Benefits are not guaranteed until they receive the claim. Which means they could say yes it's covered then a couple weeks later say, no it's not. Dental insurance is not the same as medical. It's basically a coupon. Dental insurance does not care about your health.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
I tried a couple of other local dentists. I didn't like the constant upsell and trying to get me to buy expensive unnecessary items, like the fact that they mention I have grinding damage on my teeth. Never mind that this damage has been present for 40+ years and has not progressed since I had my jaw fixed as a young man. Every time they try to sell me a $600-800 mouth guard (that seems no more sophisticated than the plastic molding mouth guard you can buy for sports for $20), or they insist I must buy a mouth guard to help with sleep apnea because I am overweight. Never mind that I have a recent sleep study showing no sleep apnea.

Heck I had one local dental assistant insist I needed 5 cavities filled based on the results of a machine that she admitted she had only used a couple of times before, and had them schedule a procedure. So I asked the dentist at tidewater for a second opinion and he told me first, that the dentist should have verified the results. The manufacturer of that device explicitly states it's not for diagnosis, only to help show the dentist where to look. And second, that they need to perform a calibration every time they use the machine (which was not done) so what she thought were weak spots in my enamel were just coffee stains.

Tidewater may have constant billing issues, which I tire of, but at least I don't usually feel like I am being hussled every time I go in.

Whether you think the appliance or treatment is ridiculous, they have to inform you of what you need or may benefit from. And a $20 dollar one from Dick's can actually worsen the condition for some. Up to you to get it but if you're not informed, then something goes wrong, people will sue because they "didn't know." I'm not saying some offices don't push stuff you actually don't need, I'm sure they do.