Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MetroCast issues, especially in afternoons

MetroCast issues, especially in afternoons

Who else? Thought it was my modem or router till a buddy on FB posted he thought his modem was dying
    "I aim to misbehave."

They call me ... Sarcasmo kom526's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Our Mac is strong but wired directly to the modem, our WiFi is WEAK as hell even if we have our wireless equipment in the same room.
    Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been.

Somewhere, a teacher is crying with their red marker after reading your dribble.

Quote Originally Posted by glhs837 View Post
    Who else? Thought it was my modem or router till a buddy on FB posted he thought his modem was dying
    Afternoons are when people come home and jump on their computers. You may be experiencing shared contention issues. The more folks jumping on the cable network, the more contention there is for bandwidth. If the network is marginal or has bad connections coming in from the road, performance drops.

Quote Originally Posted by kom526 View Post
    Our Mac is strong but wired directly to the modem, our WiFi is WEAK as hell even if we have our wireless equipment in the same room.
    A weak WiFi could be a few things. if you're using a 2.4Ghz frequency, you may be seeing interference from other wireless devices in the house that use 2.4Ghz, like portable phones, blutooth devices, microwaves... If you're using mixed WiFi protocols, ie a, b, and g, and an older WiFi router, in many cases the WiFi devices all auto-negotiate DOWN to the lowest common denominator protocol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2.4_GHz_radio_use
    http://pocketnow.com/2014/01/23/5ghz-wifi
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

See, it's high pings, which might be shared connection issues, although there has been no change in the four years I've lived here. All four neighbors are couples in thier 60s, only new construction is up on Willows, and I'm down near the college. And it's also network drops at the modem
    "I aim to misbehave."

Mine was down most of the day yesterday and today. It came back up this evening. When I called they had high call volume. I've also seen them working on the lines.

Quote Originally Posted by glhs837 View Post
    See, it's high pings, which might be shared connection issues ...

back when we had Comcast Cable Internet, I could tell on Sat and Sunday afternoon when everyone was watching TV.

the internet would slow down
    Weíre tempted to suggest a conspiracy here ó but itís just liberals agreeing yet again that conservatives have hidden, evil motives, because modern liberals simply canít conceive of any other reason to disagree with the liberal consensus.

I might believe it's a "everybody jut got home" thing. But I'm not in a hundred family subdivision. No recent changes to the draw on the bandwidth........... unless it's the college kids coming back..... but I think those folks are on that great fiber backbone we all paid for but only the govt facilities can get on. No other changes. Been here four years. Dropouts, high pings.
    "I aim to misbehave."

Maybe this is related to bandwidth issues, but does anyone else notice that the quality of the Metrocast TV signal drops around 8:00pm? The picture goes "blocky" and the audio breaks and skips. We notice it with network channels 4->9 (704->709). We thought it was just the HD channels, but it's on the non-HD channels as well. Fortunately, it usually clears up as the evening wears on.
    "Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever." - Shane Falco

Quote Originally Posted by stgislander View Post
    Maybe this is related to bandwidth issues, but does anyone else notice that the quality of the Metrocast TV signal drops around 8:00pm? The picture goes "blocky" and the audio breaks and skips. We notice it with network channels 4->9 (704->709). We thought it was just the HD channels, but it's on the non-HD channels as well. Fortunately, it usually clears up as the evening wears on.
    Same here, we have a few shows we watch at 8 or 9 and we thought it was our DVR crapping out.
    "I aim to misbehave."

I noticed. I thought it was justl me. It seems to help if you rewind a few seconds then fast forward back to live.
    Imagine how much better America would be if you would simply don a pair a pants before sitting down at your Playskool My First 'Puter.

LibertyBeacon

Members who have read this thread: 45