Education

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I wasn't sure where I should put this, so since education has become a bit of a political issue, I guess this is as good as anywhere.

While in my doctors waiting room yesterday I started chatting up the lady sitting on the other side of the room, as we watched some Hollywood bimbo choose which man she'd like to...I dunno'...like.
First, I was surprised that of the offerings, there were no females for her to choose.

I digress...the point is, I'm chatting up this educator, and how education has gone the way of the dinosaur. She was telling me that in order to fail a student, the process makes terminating a civilian employee look like a walk in the park.
When I told her that we would be home schooling the Pickle, she said that is the best thing a parent can do for their kids right now. Seriously. That's what she told me. None of the faux support that you get from so many educators, but a woman who is sitting right in front of me saying that the system is so broken, that she wouldn't send her own kids (if she had any) to public school.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
None of the faux support that you get from so many educators, but a woman who is sitting right in front of me saying that the system is so broken, that she wouldn't send her own kids (if she had any) to public school.

I sacrifice for mine to go to private school .....

steppinthrax

I wasn't sure where I should put this, so since education has become a bit of a political issue, I guess this is as good as anywhere.

While in my doctors waiting room yesterday I started chatting up the lady sitting on the other side of the room, as we watched some Hollywood bimbo choose which man she'd like to...I dunno'...like.
First, I was surprised that of the offerings, there were no females for her to choose.

I digress...the point is, I'm chatting up this educator, and how education has gone the way of the dinosaur. She was telling me that in order to fail a student, the process makes terminating a civilian employee look like a walk in the park.
When I told her that we would be home schooling the Pickle, she said that is the best thing a parent can do for their kids right now. Seriously. That's what she told me. None of the faux support that you get from so many educators, but a woman who is sitting right in front of me saying that the system is so broken, that she wouldn't send her own kids (if she had any) to public school.

Many people in SoMd do homeschooling, if that is what you want to do by all means do it. But this is more less her and your opinion. There have been many who've gone through public school, went to Ivy League and beyond. There have been many who've gone to public and became ####. It's all about how you make it and how much ambition/determination and effort you put forth. Both are my kids are in public in Calvert County and I'm happy with how they are doing.

steppinthrax

I know someone....local.... that had a private school education... locally.

I wouldn't trust them to wipe their own azz! Seriously! Box of Rocks!

Private school is all about putting your kids around other kids who's parents have money. It's more influence then education.

Hijinx

My Grandkids go to Public school, and when they get home my daughter and her husband teach them how to write cursive and how to do mathematics the old way.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
My son did 2 years in a school overseas. He was taught in a language that wasn't English. He attended school 6 days a week. He told me it was way harder over there than it was in the US. He finished up his schooling at Great Mills HS. He made the honor society and today he's a tri-lingual pilot. It appears the public school route didn't harm him in any meaningful way.

Hijinx

Ryken is around 12,000 dollars a year. Many parents simply do not have that kind of money lying around.
And then when you have 2 kids?

Clem72

My son did 2 years in a school overseas. He was taught in a language that wasn't English. He attended school 6 days a week. He told me it was way harder over there than it was in the US. He finished up his schooling at Great Mills HS. He made the honor society and today he's a tri-lingual pilot. It appears the public school route didn't harm him in any meaningful way.

That's been our experience. It's less about the school and more about the attitude at home towards education. And I can guarantee you that having top marks at a bad/average school looks better to universities than having average/bad marks from a top school.

steppinthrax

Any evidence to back that up or is it just your opinion?

Sure,

Private School cost money and Public school is free. Kids in private school are going to be around other kids with parents that have THAT KIND OF MONEY so the influence begins early all the way up. Whereas in public you might be dealing with kids who's parents are shoveling #### all day at a farm.

steppinthrax

:bs:

parents are mostly Teachers, Police, Armed Forces Members, Federal Gov. Workers - Middle Class Americans
there are 2 parents I know of that one spouse is a Doctor

I think it is spitballing .... SWAG

Whereas the parents who take their kids to the Calverton are going to be Doctors, Lawyers, Businessmen, Senators and other high status positions.

terbear1225

your statement was that "it's all about putting your kids around other kids who's parents have money. It's more influence then education." implying that parents are sending their kids to private school because they want their kids around others in a similar socio-economic group with little or no consideration of the academic differences between public or private. I would disagree with that statement. There's lots of research out there about why parents choose private education, might be worth your time to take a look at it.

that said, I think school choice is a very personal decision. There are a wealth of reason for any decision, be it private, public, home schooling, etc. There is no one right answer, just as there is no one right way to parent.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
Sure,

Private School cost money and Public school is free.

If that was true, my property taxes would be half of what I'm paying now. The parents of students in public school may not be paying the public school system, but tax payers are paying for every wasted dime and nickel in public school operations.

steppinthrax

your statement was that "it's all about putting your kids around other kids who's parents have money. It's more influence then education." implying that parents are sending their kids to private school because they want their kids around others in a similar socio-economic group with little or no consideration of the academic differences between public or private. I would disagree with that statement. There's lots of research out there about why parents choose private education, might be worth your time to take a look at it.

that said, I think school choice is a very personal decision. There are a wealth of reason for any decision, be it private, public, home schooling, etc. There is no one right answer, just as there is no one right way to parent.

I'm not so sure that the academic performance of private school is necessarily superior to that of public. Especially in the Calvert County area! In general private doesn't need to submit state sponsored benchmarks or conform to standardized testing requirements. They just need to meet requirements that they provide k-12 education and are then licensed to operating within that state. They come up as a blank when trying to compare them to public schools since there is no MSA or other testing to compare them with.

Private school simply spends money and time advertising anecdotal statistics of their performance in their colorful brochures and how 90% or 99% of their kids go on to college/ivy league etc...

When in general it would make perfect sense that such a high percentage do well. Simply because their parents have invested the money and effort to place their kids in these programs. They likely have degrees of higher education themselves and know the value of an education and have money. So they will do everything and anything they can to ensure ($$$$$$$) their child does well.

So statistics of High SAT scores, High college acceptance rates etc.. are misleading, since those students belong to parents who have a high expectations.

And yes, while it's not advertised. These parents know their kids will be around other kids who's parents are from high socio-economic backgrounds.

Here's is a little satire of what I'm getting across.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyPnHIHS_Wk

Last edited:

steppinthrax

If that was true, my property taxes would be half of what I'm paying now. The parents of students in public school may not be paying the public school system, but tax payers are paying for every wasted dime and nickel in public school operations.

Of course it's not free, free. Nothing is FREE, we all pay it in our property taxes.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
In general private doesn't need to submit state sponsored benchmarks or conform to standardized testing requirements. They just need to meet requirements that they provide k-12 education and are then licensed to operating within that state. They come up as a blank when trying to compare them to public schools since there is no MSA or other testing to compare them with.

I'm not sure wtf you are talking about, my daughter has taken some form or another of state required test [scantron] damn near ever yr she has been in school

Restitution

That person I mentioned in my previous post.... went to Ryken. I would gladly exchange their diploma for a piece of toilet paper if I ran out. It is worth about as much!

As for reasons for putting their kids in private or parochial schools, I bet if you took a poll as to why parents do this I could GUARANTEE that well more than half of the answers would involve keeping their precious darlings away from "the element" of public schools. Not superior education!

Especially around here. Its not like Ryken has some stature in the nation. They do it because their snowflake shouldn't have to be exposed to the reality of everyday life in the public school system.