Hillary vs. Trump

paxnewbie

So as I've been thinking about the debate, a point occurred to me that I think Trump should have jumped on (unless I missed it). Clinton suggested that she supports small business, and cited her own father. However, she also condemned Trump for his wealth, which was built by him and his father. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the whole point of a small business, ideally, to become a big business? Clinton talks as though there is something fundamentally wrong with being successful.
Additionally, she is also quite wealthy, but not from working 80 hrs. a week building a business, but as a public servant?? Now THAT is something fundamentally wrong.
Trump touched on it in the first 5 minutes of the debate, that regulation is choking small businesses to death, and making it nearly impossible for those who might want to start a business to do so.
I think...maybe...I will begrudgingly support Trump, but only because I could never, ever vote for Hillary Clinton!

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Agree to an extent. Just one more missed opportunity on his part to highlight how she got rich by giving speeches and "pay for play" while he did it the old fashioned way, even IF he got a loan off his pops to start.

Hijinx

Harry Truman=No man can get rich in politics unless he's a crook. It cannot be done.

That goes for women too.

Take a peek at the richest in Congress. Some were rich when they got in.
Hillary and Bill owned an El Camino with artificial grass in the bed of it.

tommyjo

So as I've been thinking about the debate, a point occurred to me that I think Trump should have jumped on (unless I missed it). Clinton suggested that she supports small business, and cited her own father. However, she also condemned Trump for his wealth, which was built by him and his father. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the whole point of a small business, ideally, to become a big business? Clinton talks as though there is something fundamentally wrong with being successful.
Additionally, she is also quite wealthy, but not from working 80 hrs. a week building a business, but as a public servant?? Now THAT is something fundamentally wrong.
Trump touched on it in the first 5 minutes of the debate, that regulation is choking small businesses to death, and making it nearly impossible for those who might want to start a business to do so.
I think...maybe...I will begrudgingly support Trump, but only because I could never, ever vote for Hillary Clinton!

Here's a transcript of the debate: http://www.npr.org/2016/09/26/495115346/fact-check-first-presidential-debate

Ms. Clinton did not condemn Mr. Trump for being wealthy. Here is what she did say:

You know, Donald was very fortunate in his life and that's all to his benefit. He started his business with fourteen million dollars borrowed from his father and he really believes that the more you help wealthy people, the better off we will be and that everything will work out from there.

Mr. Trump's business acumen has been under scrutiny his entire life. His net worth is generally considered to be well below what he states. Since his is a privately held company and he is not required to do any public reporting, he can say whatever he wants and no one can prove any different. This is likely one of the reasons he won't release any financial data or his taxes. For he will be proven to not be as wealthy as he claims.

Yes...it is the ideal world for a small business to become a big business. Donald Trump's wealth is the direct result of loans and bailouts he received from his father. Really interesting article on this here: http://www.wsj.com/articles/trumps-father-helped-gop-candidate-with-numerous-loans-1474656573 (The WSJ is not a left leaning news source...until they print an article critical of some right winger...or right winger in costume only)

What is fundamentally wrong isn't that there are wealthy people in the country. What is fundamentally wrong is the distribution of wealth in this country. Too much wealth is concentrated in too few hands...anyone saying different is selling you something.

It is also worth noting the following as it relates to regulations. Had we had proper regulations in place from 2000-2005, the housing bubble would not have inflated to the level it did, burst with the ferocity with which it did and left us with the terribly slow recovery that was the only result possible from a credit crisis fueled freezing of our entire financial system.

But hey, why look at things intelligently and logically and understand the realties when you can instead listen to a buffoon screaming falsehoods into a microphone and blame all the country's problems on "the media", poor people and people who look at speak differently. It's so much easier to just point a finger at "them" than actually learning isn't it?

Hijinx

Here's a transcript of the debate: http://www.npr.org/2016/09/26/495115346/fact-check-first-presidential-debate

Ms. Clinton did not condemn Mr. Trump for being wealthy. Here is what she did say:

Mr. Trump's business acumen has been under scrutiny his entire life. His net worth is generally considered to be well below what he states. Since his is a privately held company and he is not required to do any public reporting, he can say whatever he wants and no one can prove any different. This is likely one of the reasons he won't release any financial data or his taxes. For he will be proven to not be as wealthy as he claims.

Yes...it is the ideal world for a small business to become a big business. Donald Trump's wealth is the direct result of loans and bailouts he received from his father. Really interesting article on this here: http://www.wsj.com/articles/trumps-father-helped-gop-candidate-with-numerous-loans-1474656573 (The WSJ is not a left leaning news source...until they print an article critical of some right winger...or right winger in costume only)

What is fundamentally wrong isn't that there are wealthy people in the country. What is fundamentally wrong is the distribution of wealth in this country. Too much wealth is concentrated in too few hands...anyone saying different is selling you something.

It is also worth noting the following as it relates to regulations. Had we had proper regulations in place from 2000-2005, the housing bubble would not have inflated to the level it did, burst with the ferocity with which it did and left us with the terribly slow recovery that was the only result possible from a credit crisis fueled freezing of our entire financial system.

But hey, why look at things intelligently and logically and understand the realties when you can instead listen to a buffoon screaming falsehoods into a microphone and blame all the country's problems on "the media", poor people and people who look at speak differently. It's so much easier to just point a finger at "them" than actually learning isn't it?

Who was it that changed the regulations so that people with no credit could buy outrageously priced homes?
The Housing Bubble was a Clinton Legacy, by the way.

seekeroftruth

If someone gave me 14 million dollars, I could surely start a successful business too!

Last night I spent two hours watching Frontline on PBS.... Trump's father also gave him quite a huge psychological problem to deal with. Trump needs to win every single time. Trump needs to be recognized as the best by the world. Trump needs to be worshiped.

Hillary has to overcome her husband's issue and the horrible conclusion to the Gadaffi blunder. She's conquering the glass ceilings that plagued all women. Some of the voters today don't remember what it was like to only aspire to "marrying well" no matter how talented or intelligent a woman is.

I still think Trump's issues are more dangerous than hers.

:coffee:

SamSpade

I've said this much before - Hillary is extremely wealthy - but she hasn't "created" anything. Hate or love Trump, he's made things.

I wonder what the going price for a speaker is when you lose a Presidential election - twice.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
If someone gave me 14 million dollars, I could surely start a successful business too!

Last night I spent two hours watching Frontline on PBS.... Trump's father also gave him quite a huge psychological problem to deal with. Trump needs to win every single time. Trump needs to be recognized as the best by the world. Trump needs to be worshiped.

Hillary has to overcome her husband's issue and the horrible conclusion to the Gadaffi blunder. She's conquering the glass ceilings that plagued all women. Some of the voters today don't remember what it was like to only aspire to "marrying well" no matter how talented or intelligent a woman is.

G

This sounds like your voting XX just to spite the XY's

Hijinx

It's your right to be wrong.

seekeroftruth

This sounds like your voting XX just to spite the XY's

Well, that may be part of it....

When watching the PBS special I kept reminding myself that sometimes these specials are really slanted.

I really liked the portrayal of Hillary in the special until she ran for president and Obama got in her way. Then when the Gadaffi blunder came up.... the slant evened out. Gadaffi and Benghazi are definitely horrific mistakes that cost lives.

But Trump's daddy issues definitely bother me much much worse. According to the PBS special, Trump sincerely believes that he is bred better than everyone else. In Trumps mind, according to the special, he is a winner and everyone else in the world must be a loser. That explains his need for Putin's approval.

Which one is less dangerous?

SamSpade

When watching the PBS special I kept reminding myself that sometimes these specials are really slanted.

Plays into one of my axioms - "you're always being manipulated".
Your kid is trying to play you. Advertisers play you. Hell, your dog is trying to play you.
Newspapers give headlines that grossly overplay the article - because they know it's all some people will read.

NO ONE just gives a straight answer - because it's not in their self interest.

I'm a big fan of history; it's my favorite subject, and if I could get paid the same as I do now, I'd have done that for a living.
But I've found that everyone who has ever written anything in history has proven they don't do it without bias.
Herodotus was a bald-faced liar. Livy was famous for "explaining" Roman defeats. Everyone slants the story.

It helps a LOT to know, when you're reading something you AGREE with - it's probably ALSO slanted.

Hijinx

I really liked the portrayal of Hillary in the special until she ran for president and Obama got in her way. Then when the Gadaffi blunder came up.... the slant evened out. Gadaffi and Benghazi are definitely horrific mistakes that cost lives.

But Trump's daddy issues definitely bother me much much worse. According to the PBS special, Trump sincerely believes that he is bred better than everyone else. In Trumps mind, according to the special, he is a winner and everyone else in the world must be a loser. That explains his need for Putin's approval.

Which one is less dangerous?

PBS LMAO. What else did you expect from PBS?

SamSpade

PBS LMAO. What else did you expect from PBS?

You mean like that "fact checker" piece tj posted from NPR - pretty much confirms Hillary and skewers Trump?

There's never ever going to be a political fact checker site that doesn't show bias.
Even if *I* tried to be, I couldn't - you always have bias.

The challenge is trying to be FAIR.

Years ago, I called into Sam Donaldson's radio show, and that's what he told ME.
You may be biased, but you try to be FAIR.

The problem is, when you spend your life with a strong political bias, you don't know HOW to be fair to the other side.
You don't know it. It's like a white person trying to describe racism as a black person. They don't know it.
Hell, I'm RAISING a black child, and I don't always see it, and trust me - I'm *looking*.

nutz

You cannot be serious. Hillary has been a failure since her first job with Watergate. Email scandals, speech scandals, love affair scandals, black eye scandal, whitewater, the Clinton foundation, property theft from the whitehouse, Lewinsky scandal, the "sniper fire" lie, FBI file scandal, etc. etc. If you lost someone one in Benghazi, you'd be furious, not complacent. Somalia, Blackhawk down ring any bells? How many times did the Clintons deploy troops and put them in harms way?

This_person

You cannot be serious. Hillary has been a failure since her first job with Watergate. Email scandals, speech scandals, love affair scandals, black eye scandal, whitewater, the Clinton foundation, property theft from the whitehouse, Lewinsky scandal, the "sniper fire" lie, FBI file scandal, etc. etc. If you lost someone one in Benghazi, you'd be furious, not complacent. Somalia, Blackhawk down ring any bells? How many times did the Clintons deploy troops and put them in harms way?

14368881_937606056372573_4797793731574598285_n.jpg