Local Business Charlotte Hall- Do you want them to build apartments there???

glhs837

Power with Control
God forbid the people who work at Dunkin Donuts or the grocery store or have a place rent that isnt broken up trailer or a spare room above a garage in Golden beach........

queenpwb

God forbid the people who work at Dunkin Donuts or the grocery store or have a place rent that isnt broken up trailer or a spare room above a garage in Golden beach........

I actually worked at a fastfood place here in Charlotte Hall and Im still against this idea

luvmygdaughters

IF affordable housing was used strictly for that type of situation, it would be great. Unfortunately, its not. There are several cases of people who have been released from drug rehabs or jails for the umpteenth time and are placed in "affordable housing" because they cant get decent paying jobs. There are no criminal records check before renting. The idea of affordable housing sounds great, you know, like food stamp program and welfare. But the reality is, a lot of fraud goes on in these programs.

glhs837

Power with Control
IF affordable housing was used strictly for that type of situation, it would be great. Unfortunately, its not. There are several cases of people who have been released from drug rehabs or jails for the umpteenth time and are placed in "affordable housing" because they cant get decent paying jobs. There are no criminal records check before renting. The idea of affordable housing sounds great, you know, like food stamp program and welfare. But the reality is, a lot of fraud goes on in these programs.

So, on the chance that some might abuse it, you say screw the guy making your coffee? Were this billed as predominately a subsidized housing sort of deal, I might agree with you. Were someone wanting to build River Bay Part Deux at the end of my little private road near the college, I would object myself. But affordable and subsidized are two different things.

luvmygdaughters

So, on the chance that some might abuse it, you say screw the guy making your coffee? Were this billed as predominately a subsidized housing sort of deal, I might agree with you. Were someone wanting to build River Bay Part Deux at the end of my little private road near the college, I would object myself. But affordable and subsidized are two different things.

I used to live in subsidized housing in St. Charles, many years ago. I was recently divorced and had two small children, working a low paying job. The neighbors in that building were basically the same way. Single parents working minimum wage or low income jobs. We lived there for two years, no problems. I found another job and was looking for another place when the neighborhood started changing. My car was broken into, there were always groups of unsavories hanging in the hallway and laundry room, my neighbors place was broken into. Things like that. After some inquiries were made, it was discovered that some of the tenants were on parole from jail and just released from halfway houses for drug use. I'm not saying this would happen in all neighborhoods, however, it just seems where affordable housing is offered, this is what it turns into eventually. Honestly, it makes me mad to think a single person who may or may not have kids and isn't earning a six figure salary, has to live in a neighborhood that they feel unsafe in. I blame this on the judicial system and their failure to keep criminals in jail.

OldHillcrestGuy

I have lived in Charlotte Hall for over 38 years, I will hold off my opinion on these apartments till after the meeting next week which I will be attending. I'm sure there are alot of hardworking young people who can't afford to buy a new home as they start their career in the workforce but could afford a nice apartment. I don't know, but the apartments (don't think they are condo's) in Prince Frederick on Prince Frederick Blvd appear to be nice. You can have nice apartments that aren't crime ridden like the first one's that were built in St. Charles. The article said 48 apartments that's not very many, maybe four buildings, yes 48 now may eventually down the road turn into more. If not now apartments will eventually happen in Northern St. Marys. Lets hope that the people that we, as citizens elect to be our leaders do the right thing and control what type of apartments that might be built.

mitzi

Subsidized housing there is a criminal check on the renter.

ltown81

I think the lack of housing like this up there means there is no way they are cheap or subsidized. The owners should have plenty of people willing to pay good money. Most of the new apartments in the county run $1000-$1500 a month. That is actually the reason I don't like them. a.) you can rent a house for that much, and b.) It's not people who work in fast food restaurants renting them. It is professionals who don't want to deal with the upkeep of renting a house.

fatratcat

Here we go again racing to the bottom. First, why would anyone think it's a good idea to put poor people in an area that demands a car? It's 25 miles one way to decent shopping, a hospital, any higher education centers, or any significant commerce. Second, I worked my ass off to get out of the trailer park I grew up in. Why in the hell would I work my way to the top just to go back to the bottom? I worked hard so I don't have to worry about trailer park drama. Who's slinging? Who's baby is that? Who's beating who? Where'd you get that car? I don't owe the guy brewing my coffee anything. He or she can decide not to drop so many babies so early and go to school or get off their ass and get a skill that's in demand. As for background checks? That only shows what they got caught doing. Don't delude yourself into believing it's useful to prove much beyond that. It's damn sure not an effective screen for criminiality and is not a predictive tool other than indicating the obvious...if it walks like a duck, it quacks... CH is on it's way down. Thank God I can move out in the next couple of years. One final thought, why are we always focusing on the liabilities to the community? How about an argument to get some nice high end stuff? Move beyond fast food, funeral homes, liquor stores, banks, etc? Obviously, the argument that if we don't build nice things it won't attract the wrong attention is a big fat fail. The only thing building low income stuff will do for sure is light a fire under me with my 6 digit income, graduate degree, and stable 20 + year marriage to get the hell out of CH faster. From discussions off this board with others, I won't be alone. Good luck with your tax base!

Last edited:
I have lived in Charlotte Hall for over 38 years, I will hold off my opinion on these apartments till after the meeting next week which I will be attending. I'm sure there are alot of hardworking young people who can't afford to buy a new home as they start their career in the workforce but could afford a nice apartment. I don't know, but the apartments (don't think they are condo's) in Prince Frederick on Prince Frederick Blvd appear to be nice. You can have nice apartments that aren't crime ridden like the first one's that were built in St. Charles. The article said 48 apartments that's not very many, maybe four buildings, yes 48 now may eventually down the road turn into more. If not now apartments will eventually happen in Northern St. Marys. Lets hope that the people that we, as citizens elect to be our leaders do the right thing and control what type of apartments that might be built.

Meeting postponed till November.

glhs837

Power with Control
Subsidized housing there is a criminal check on the renter.

Sure is Mitz, but sadly, there are a disproportionate number of single mothers in subsidized housing. A lot of whom became single mothers through poor personal choices in sexual partners and birth control methods. And having a babay does not mean they will suddenly start dating Jimmy the Upright Bagger at Food Lion and not Jim-Bob (aka JB) the Heroin Slinger. It's not usually the subsidized renter who is bringing the crime, it's the men and boys they have living with them.

Here we go again racing to the bottom. First, why would anyone think it's a good idea to put poor people in an area that demands a car? It's 25 miles one way to decent shopping, a hospital, any higher education centers, or any significant commerce. Second, I worked my ass off to get out of the trailer park I grew up in. Why in the hell would I work my way to the top just to go back to the bottom? I worked hard so I don't have to worry about trailer park drama. Who's slinging? Who's baby is that? Who's beating who? Where'd you get that car? I don't owe the guy brewing my coffee anything. He or she can decide not to drop so many babies so early and go to school or get off their ass and get a skill that's in demand. As for background checks? That only shows what they got caught doing. Don't delude yourself into believing it's useful to prove much beyond that. It's damn sure not an effective screen for criminiality and is not a predictive tool other than indicating the obvious...if it walks like a duck, it quacks... CH is on it's way down. Thank God I can move out in the next couple of years. One final thought, why are we always focusing on the liabilities to the community? How about an argument to get some nice high end stuff? Move beyond fast food, funeral homes, liquor stores, banks, etc? Obviously, the argument that if we don't build nice things it won't attract the wrong attention is a big fat fail. The only thing building low income stuff will do for sure is light a fire under me with my 6 digit income, graduate degree, and stable 20 + year marriage to get the hell out of CH faster. From discussions off this board with others, I won't be alone. Good luck with your tax base!

I might suggest a move to say St James down by St Marys College. And you may not realize it, but you are surrounded by the poors in CH already. They live in trailers stuck on back lots, in basements, above garage rooms, sharing houses places down Golden Beach. Not sure what direct effect on you that having a place where some of them might be able to live in a decent place and not some crapped out trailer is going to have on you, but guess what? Things change. They do. Adapt or move, it's that simple.

fatratcat

I appreciate the advice, but my next move is goingto be out of state for retirement. I'll deal with it for a few more years, but "I'm out" at the first chance! Ur right about CH poor. In the last 10 years my neighborhood has gone to hell. It used to people that owned their home. Now, it's all renters. People hang on the street. My 7 year old gets to hear them fighting and cussing. They literally have 7-9 beat up cars for a 3 bedroom house. I rarely see the same person come and go twice. It's definitely time to move. Just gotta squeeze the last few years in...

mitzi

That's all well and good, but doesn't do anything about the people living with or hanging around with the renter.

True. Look at the mess in Lexington Park. I moved from Charlotte Hall over 20 years ago. My house was close to the highway. Too much crap started going on back then. Bank robberies, break ins, etc.

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
Realistically though, even as bad as the Park can be, unless you are one of the people actively involved in criminal activity, your odds of being harmed by criminals is pretty low. Barring being the victim of someone ripping off your stuff.

BusinessTime

Looking at the physical location of Charlotte Hall (center of a major artery at the county line) why is anyone who lives there surprised by growth?
If growth, traffic concerns, fast food restaurants (too many, too few), apartments, were a concern, why did you choose to live there?

Isn't Charlotte Hall a Town Center or designated growth area ? I think it is, so again, why be surprised that there may be more development

I truly don't understand the argument