BAM! Consider that veto just about overriden

Larry Gude

Strung Out
it may 'feel good' now, but I think down the road this will bite us in the ass

Yup. Obama, if only this once, is correct. This is garbage election year politics at its worst and, even worse, is this just allows our elected leaders one more rock to hide under, one more batch of paper to hide behind instead of acting responsibly, ie, bearing down on SA from the get go for their actions.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
it may 'feel good' now, but I think down the road this will bite us in the ass
I don't think so, I don't think anyone will get any money from it, but I think it will largely be forgotten in the near future. Saudi's just have to much financial oomph to put up with much. Say someone wins a billion dollar settlement, Saudis say "no", what are they going to do? Freeze Saudi assets in the US? Saudis do the same thing with US assets there. I could be wrong, but I just think that they have to much leverage to tolerate it.

Hijinx

I don't think so, I don't think anyone will get any money from it, but I think it will largely be forgotten in the near future. Saudi's just have to much financial oomph to put up with much. Say someone wins a billion dollar settlement, Saudis say "no", what are they going to do? Freeze Saudi assets in the US? Saudis do the same thing with US assets there. I could be wrong, but I just think that they have to much leverage to tolerate it.

I have kept out of this post because I have no idea the right or wrong of it, but I see a lot of problems coming down the line from it.
I do not have any idea why it has gathered so much bi-partisan support except it is an election year.

On second thought this could be a Jack Pot for lawyers, and what are the majority of Congress Critters? ---------------------------------Lawyers.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I have kept out of this post because I have no idea the right or wrong of it, but I see a lot of problems coming down the line from it.
I do not have any idea why it has gathered so much bi-partisan support except it is an election year.

On second thought this could be a Jack Pot for lawyers, and what are the majority of Congress Critters? ---------------------------------Lawyers.
I admit I'm not a lawyer, it could go sideways just because I looked at what it means wrong.

I see the possibility of reciprocation. Allowing the US to sue other countries opens the door for them to sue us. And there is a lot they could sue the US for.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
I admit I'm not a lawyer, it could go sideways just because I looked at what it means wrong.

Folks, the House still has to vote and this and it's not entirely impossible that Pelosi turns enough Donks to block an over ride of the veto.

And, if anyone's counting, I, too, believe this is an empty election-year bill.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Folks, the House still has to vote and this and it's not entirely impossible that Pelosi turns enough Donks to block an over ride of the veto.

And, if anyone's counting, I, too, believe this is an empty election-year bill.

The House already voted to override, JASTA is law. Senate vote was 97-1 and House was 348-77.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
We all wait for the inevitable ass biting to confirm they (Government) have done it to us again.

Doubtful..

We'really here this week.. learning the machinations of government and how to get things done beyond. I'm just a Bill.. Just a Lonely Old Bill . Sitting on Capitol Hill..

Watched debate today, watched amendments get passed into a current HR... with "Votes being recorded" for two passed amendments, and one refusal to send an amendment back to committee that would have killed the bill. before the final vote on the HR.

One thing I noticed.. we weren't allowed to read, bring in our cellphones because the House Member say that somebody reading into the gallery (20 feet above and behind them) is distracting. Yet they don't find their own activity on the House Floor distracting.. people coming and going during arguments.. people talking.. one Dem (her) in the back corner talking and swearing very loudly.

Generally during arguments the house is basically bare short of just the support staff, stenographers.. clerk of court.. and the Speaker Pro Tem.. or somebody else delegated to perform those duties, but after the arguments were done on the HR the House was called to vote and the Chamber filled in about 15 - 20 minutes and the vote taken.

Didn't get to meet anyone but noticed Paul Ryan never took his place at the front.. there different people performed the speakers duty, but he was on the floor for the vote.

Talked with a staffmember. Pelosi.. yes she is as stupid as she appears.. she's been in the house FOREVER.. and today stopped somebody (staff) in the hallway to ask where the bathroom was

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I see the possibility of reciprocation. Allowing the US to sue other countries opens the door for them to sue us. And there is a lot they could sue the US for.

as I stated in another thread, Progressive Elites in Europe have been trying to get US Gov. officials and Service Members in front of the World Court for war crimes ..... this sets a bad precedent

US Opposition to the International Criminal Court

The United States government has consistently opposed an international court that could hold US military and political leaders to a uniform global standard of justice. The Clinton administration participated actively in negotiations towards the International Criminal Court treaty, seeking Security Council screening of cases. If adopted, this would have enabled the US to veto any dockets it opposed. When other countries refused to agree to such an unequal standard of justice, the US campaigned to weaken and undermine the court. The Bush administration, coming into office in 2001 as the Court neared implementation, adopted an extremely active opposition. Washington began to negotiate bilateral agreements with other countries, insuring immunity of US nationals from prosecution by the Court. As leverage, Washington threatened termination of economic aid, withdrawal of military assistance, and other painful measures. The Obama administration has so far made greater efforts to engage with the Court. It is participating with the Court's governing bodies and it is providing support for the Court's ongoing prosecutions. Washington, however, has no intention to join the ICC, due to its concern about possible charges against US nationals.

awpitt

Main Streeter

Good point. They have to keep their income opportunities open.

And it begins......
http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/01/politics/saudi-arabia-9-11-lawsuit/index.html
Stephanie DeSimone was two months pregnant when her husband, Navy Cmdr. Patrick Dunn, was killed at the Pentagon on September 11, 2001.
Now, 15 years later -- and two days after Congress legally paved the way -- she's filed a lawsuit against Saudi Arabia, claiming the kingdom is partially responsible for his death.

In court documents filed Friday in Washington, D.C., DeSimone alleges Saudi Arabia provided material support to al Qaeda for more than a decade and was aware of the terror group's plan to attack the US.