Summary of New Laws About to Take Effect in Md.

newsBot

Automated News Bot
Staff member
This just in from the somd.com Headline News:

Title: Summary of New Laws About to Take Effect in Md.

Date: 09-28-2016 04:19 PM

Summary: Starting Oct. 1, various laws will go into effect in Maryland, including laws to deter drunken driving, increase police accountability and public safety, promote workers' rights, establish opioid addiction outreach programs and protect the freedom of the press.

Click here for the full story...

DEEKAYPEE8569

This just in from the somd.com Headline News:

Title: Summary of New Laws About to Take Effect in Md.

Date: 09-28-2016 04:19 PM

Summary: Starting Oct. 1, various laws will go into effect in Maryland, including laws to deter drunken driving, increase police accountability and public safety, promote workers' rights, establish opioid addiction outreach programs and protect the freedom of the press.

Click here for the full story...

From Article:

"Gaming—Home Games (HB 127): Anyone 21 years or older can bet on home card games or mahjong as long as the games do not occur more than once a week and are played with friends. There is a $1,000 limit per 24-hour period and no fees may be charged."
==========================================================

WHY does the State feel the need to govern or otherwise attempt to mandate how many times private citizens can have a Poker/game night in their own home(s); even if it does involve monetary wagers; regardless of whether or not said private citizens are with friends?

21 yrs. old or not; if I; or anyone; played poker or any game in which I/they bet MY/their money, what business is it of Maryland's?

Of course gambling against someone you don't know is just plain STUPID. That unwritten elusion to 'with friends' makes sense.

and this.....

"There is a $1,000 limit per 24-hour period and no fees may be charged."

WHY? If you're a "high roller" and you play betting games with other "high rollers," that's not the State's business.
The 'no fees may be charged' decision should also be left up to whoever is hosting Poker/Game/Gambling night. Gotta pay for the beer-n-booze etc. somehow, right?