Navy Rate Moderinzation (Petty Officers with NECs, no rate names)

awpitt

Main Streeter
I wonder what generic logo will replace the rating badge on petty officers' crows?

I'm not sure if this is a bad thing or not. There's some details in there that make sense. I'll have to get in touch with my son (stationed in San Diego) to see what the reaction is from the younger rank-and-file. They're the one who will be living with this the longest, assuming they stay in.

160929-D-UU395-002.jpg

b23hqb

PREMO Member
I'm glad my son did it right and got his degree first. He will still be just a plain old LT, I guess.

Gummie

First they put sailors in faux Marine uniforms, put rank on their P-cutters. merged many rates into on1 and now no more rates?

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
At least they didn't phase out Seaman/Fireman/Airman to something gender neutral.

glhs837

Power with Control
At least they didn't phase out Seaman/Fireman/Airman to something gender neutral.

Top left corner. "E-1 through E-3 will be addressed as Seman". I think they probably considered that but figured that might go too far.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Not being a Navy guy ..... how does one address the enlisted ranks now ?

Job Title then ??

awpitt

Main Streeter
I'm glad my son did it right and got his degree first. He will still be just a plain old LT, I guess.

There is no one "right way". Each person does what's right for them. My son had a year of college and then enlisted and is continuing college, paid for by the Navy. When he's done, the Navy will send him to OCS or he'll get out. Either way, he'll have his degree. If he stays in, he'll be an officer with prior enlisted experience which will earn him respect. The best officers I knew while I was in were those who had prior enlisted experience.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Not being a Navy guy ..... how does one address the enlisted ranks now ?

Job Title then ??

It would be by your rating (specialty) or you rate (rank). An electronics technician second class (E-5) would be Electronic Technician Second Class or ET2 or Petty Officer Second Class. Now it's just going to be Petty Officer Second Class.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
It would be by your rating (specialty) or you rate (rank). An electronics technician second class (E-5) would be Electronic Technician Second Class or ET2 or Petty Officer Second Class. Now it's just going to be Petty Officer Second Class.

Thanks ...

b23hqb

PREMO Member
There is no one "right way". Each person does what's right for them. My son had a year of college and then enlisted and is continuing college, paid for by the Navy. When he's done, the Navy will send him to OCS or he'll get out. Either way, he'll have his degree. If he stays in, he'll be an officer with prior enlisted experience which will earn him respect. The best officers I knew while I was in were those who had prior enlisted experience.

Everyone has their own path. In hindsight, my laziness in school and not wanting to go to college right out of high school, led me to my four year enlistment in 1972. Looking back, I really should have gotten the degree first then entered the officer community. My son made that decision on his own, with my "urging" a bit to take advantages not generally available to enlisted ranks. He is nearly eight years in, and next step is becoming board select for LCDR.

I served under both regular officers and mustang officers, and there were both good and so-so with both. I had generally good experiences under their leadership.

I wish nothing but luck, and fair following seas for your son and whatever path he chooses.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Everyone has their own path. In hindsight, my laziness in school and not wanting to go to college right out of high school, led me to my four year enlistment in 1972. Looking back, I really should have gotten the degree first then entered the officer community. My son made that decision on his own, with my "urging" a bit to take advantages not generally available to enlisted ranks. He is nearly eight years in, and next step is becoming board select for LCDR.

I served under both regular officers and mustang officers, and there were both good and so-so with both. I had generally good experiences under their leadership.

I wish nothing but luck, and fair following seas for your son and whatever path he chooses.

You too. I know you have to be proud of your son. I know I'm proud of mine. He's been in almost a year now and I still haven't touched his bedroom. It's basically the way he left it when he shipped out last Nov.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Already covered.

Well, for now, but going away in favor of these NOCs, which is more like an MOS than a rate. Corpsman will be medical tech. Not sure what ordies will be.

Just to clarify. Rate = rank (E-1, E-2, etc). Rating = specialty (ET, MM, BM, etc). The ratings will translate into the NOCs.