Hurricane Matthew tread ...

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo

stgislander

PREMO Member
I'm hoping I finish my service call in Hilton Head and am heading back up I-95 before it gets crazy down there.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Listening to some of the older folks around here and looking at forecast models Matthew's track is pretty similar to Hazel ('54). I know it is way too early for firm forecasts and there are other systems at play here, but we are getting starting our prep list and will put it in action as the models firm up.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...is-eerily-similar-to-hurricane-hazel-in-1954/

http://www.newbernsj.com/news/20160930/hurricane-matthew-stirs-up-memories

Way too early to even speculate. It won't be past The Bahamas until Friday, into Saturday. So any chance of SoMD being affected won't be until late next Monday or Tuesday. Besides, the prediction models have Matthew approaching the North Carolina coast then turning northeast and staying away from land.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Listening to some of the older folks around here and looking at forecast models Matthew's track is pretty similar to Hazel ('54). I know it is way too early for firm forecasts and there are other systems at play here, but we are getting starting our prep list and will put it in action as the models firm up.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...is-eerily-similar-to-hurricane-hazel-in-1954/

http://www.newbernsj.com/news/20160930/hurricane-matthew-stirs-up-memories

I heard a couple of weather broadcasts about the similarities of the Hazel track, as well!

Drudge has this graphic up, which is somewhat amusing as a smaller pic. Here, it shows up larger. :yikes:
View attachment 115032

Attachments

• Matthew.jpg
    Matthew.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 1,268
It is way too early to tell. I know folks are looking back to '54 but let's look to the more resent "Sandy" which looked to be heading straight up the mouth of the Chesapeake up until the last minute when she wiped to the east and came back in and took out Jersey. Had she stayed on course we would have taken a beating.

We are in a geographic location that generally leaves us waiting until the last minute to have an idea of true impact. It's why smow, rain and hurricane weather threads here are so much fun.

The majority of tracks in that graphic will leave Southern Maryland with blue skies and a nice breeze.

I love a good storm, but that would be fine with me. I'm tired, my back is sore, and I don't think I can handle sawing up trees like we did a few years ago, when there were trees down everywhere. Don't remember which storm that was, but it took days to clear the road and a week to get power back.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I love a good storm, but that would be fine with me. I'm tired, my back is sore, and I don't think I can handle sawing up trees like we did a few years ago, when there were trees down everywhere. Don't remember which storm that was, but it took days to clear the road and a week to get power back.

Are you thinking Isabel?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
While Isabel and Ernesto tore up our island, I believe it was Irene that dropped so incredibly many trees throughout the rest of the county, even though leaving us more or less untouched.....if I recall correctly. We lost a couple here and there but I recall the number down in the rest of the county was astonishing.

Are you thinking Isabel?
I remember Izzie because she put a tree through the corner of my house. But there was another one since Izzie that took out a ton of trees in St. Mary's. It took down over 30 trees in by brother in laws yard and put the biggest one down over his house. Many houses in St. Mary's had damage and trees down during that one but I can't remember the name.

Yeah, I honestly don't remember which storm it was.

Our road was blocked by about 10 trees, at least 2-3 foot circumference. Total number of trees down in the area was staggering.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Yeah, I honestly don't remember which storm it was.

Our road was blocked by about 10 trees, at least 2-3 foot circumference. Total number of trees down in the area was staggering.

I'm thinking it was Irene. I had a tree down during that storm.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
The majority of tracks in that graphic will leave Southern Maryland with blue skies and a nice breeze.

True enough. Just looking at it up close makes it look more exact where it does hit. :lol:

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
It looks like it is missing central FL which is just fine with me....but I am enough inland that it would just be rain.

Well, latest estimated track puts it passing just east of Miami, then making landfall as a Cat 2 on the North/South Carolina border heading north-east.

Still have a week before that happens.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I remember Izzie because she put a tree through the corner of my house. But there was another one since Izzie that took out a ton of trees in St. Mary's. It took down over 30 trees in by brother in laws yard and put the biggest one down over his house. Many houses in St. Mary's had damage and trees down during that one but I can't remember the name.
Maybe the derecho?