Yemeni rebels sink former USN HSV-2 "Swift"

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Another C-802 success...in the hands of people that don't like us much. She blowed up real good (embedded video).

Side note: The destroyed vessel was equipped with a ride stabilization system that my previous company supplied.

Note the reports about the ineffectiveness (duh) of the rapid-blooming off board chaff system....said system, and similar, a long-time staple of USN countermeasures. We (USN) operate a whole fleet of very similar high-speed catamarans for intratheater troop and vehicle transport.

https://chuckhillscgblog.net/2016/10/03/uae-transport-former-us-high-speed-vessel-swift-hit-by-shore-based-ascm/

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
so it was attacked why ?

Destabilizing the Mandeb Strait could be part of a larger Iranian-backed regional strategy, one that has the potential to inflict significant economic pain on Saudi Arabia and the west. And this isn't the first time a Sunni Arab coalition vessel has been attacked by the Shiite anti-Yemeni government group; a year ago, two coalition ships were supposedly sunk by Iranian-supplied anti-ship missiles. A third ship was struck just months before that.

The video below supposedly shows the attack. The missile launch does appear to be that of an anti-ship missile, and the ship on fire does appear to be an HSV-2. A massive explosion is shown when the supposed missile impacts the ship; it likely detonated the fuel onboard, plus any flammable or explosive cargo. The ship's aluminum hull and commercial ship design standards offer little resilience to an anti-ship missile attack, and the HSV-2 is not equipped with a close-in weapon system (CIWS) capable of fending off such attacks.

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...stroyed-off-yemeni-coast-by-anti-ship-missile

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C-802

So, regarding the RBOC. Any countermeasure relies on being used effectively. If the system or crew doesn't deploy it at the right time, then of course it's ineffective. No way to tell what they crew did, or what system they might have, one reason most modern systems are best used in full auto mode, human reflexes simply cant keep up in a missile engagement. I noted in the wiki that one of the first upgrades to that missile was a thermal imager to back up the radar. Did this missile have that? Who knows.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
well the video is at might, the jihadist could have blown up a couple of barrels of gasoline .... I guess we will have to wait and see

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
well the video is at might, the jihadist could have blown up a couple of barrels of gasoline .... I guess we will have to wait and see

"Wait and see" for what? Whether it really was a C-802?..or something else?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Just so the Saudi's don't ask us to bail them out. Let them fight their own wars.

The Arab coalition has been engaged in Yemen and off it's coast for quite a while. The Egyptian Navy has been a key part of that coalition...and I'm headed over to Egypt myself soon to help with some overhaul and heavy-maintenance work created by the operational tempo of their ships. Be interesting to hear some of the mission details first hand.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
A very dangerous world indeed. I guess the JV to the JV of ISIS will continue to haunt the illegacy of the big o.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
the damaged ship ..... [some reports disputed the sinking]

If one of those aluminum cans was hit by C-802...there won't be enough left to make more than beer cans. But...being a catamaran, they do tend to be "survivable" when it comes to sinking. Meaning there will be a hulk to tow to the scrappers.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Burned completely out..but afloat. Not surprised...catamarans are very hard to sink.

What hit it is also not clear...in this recent update, they are claiming "4 rockets" hit it. That is completely at odds with that Yemeni video..but is more consistent with the apparent damage.

http://www.marinelog.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=23324:video-hsv-swift-hit-by-missile-attack&Itemid=231

She's definitely totaled...

d445.jpg

Last edited: