Exclusive: Gary Hart Reflects on Trump, Clinton, and How Politics Became a Media Sport

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Exclusive: Gary Hart Reflects on Trump, Clinton, and How Politics Became a Media Sport
The former Senator and presidential contender—who endured a famous media scandal of his own—discusses the changing political landscape, and the role he could have played in it.

fter losing the Democratic nomination to former Vice President Walter Mondale in 1984, Gary Hart emerged as the Democratic front-runner in advance of the 1988 race. Commanding a double-digit lead over his primary rivals in early 1987, Hart, who was seen as a Kennedy-esque figure, was widely expected to clinch the nomination, and pose a considerable threat in the general election to the presumptive Republican nominee, George H. W. Bush. Hailed by The New York Times as “one of the most intelligent figures in contemporary American politics,” Hart represented change, and pushed a platform far ahead of his time. But the trailblazing politician’s bid for the White House was cut short when The Miami Herald published an article about a purported extramarital affair between Hart and a 29-year-old actress, Donna Rice. Hart ultimately withdrew from the race.

Hart, now 79, spoke with the Hive about how the political landscape has changed in the decades since his presidential bids. He reflects on how why young people have turned away from Hillary Clinton, how the parties have realigned, and why disaffected voters are turning to Donald Trump.

Before the Democratic nomination, in 1988, a poll previewing a general election showdown placed you 13 points ahead of George H.W. Bush. In his book and in a The New York Times Magazine article, Matt Bai has suggested that, were it not for your scandal, you might have impeded the Bush political dynasty. Do you believe that?

I will not elaborate on this except to say clearly the media has become more intrusive in people’s private lives and the loss of privacy on the part of candidates has caused an awful lot of people of quality to choose not to seek public office. And that is reflected in the decline in the caliber and quality of people in public service, unfortunately.

SamSpade

*Sometimes* when people come back and say, see, I told you so, there's a part of me that says "really? who did you tell?" because I guess I don't remember Gary Hart being substantially different from Mondale in political philosophy.

But I guess there's some sense in that, yeah, it sure looks like EVENTUALLY the Rust Belt and manufacturing states are going to lose interest in the Democratic Party, because it's no longer interested in them.
You can't count on a constituency forever. It may take a generation or two, but eventually someone's going to notice that they've been - as was termed in "Kevin Can Wait" - 'lollipopped'.
In the show, they say when you were little and had a grievance, you were given a lollipop - a SMALL concession - and you went away feeling vindicated. You "won". Because you got a lollipop.
What you REALLY got was a *gag*.

Sooner or later, with any political constituency, you better deliver. Because history shows that eventually, they split.