NSA Contractor Charged with Removal of Classified Materials, Theft of Property

newsBot

Automated News Bot
Staff member
This just in from the somd.com Headline News:

Title: NSA Contractor Charged with Removal of Classified Materials, Theft of Property

Date: 10-05-2016 04:39 PM

Summary: New York Times identifies the man as employee of Booz Allen Hamilton.

Click here for the full story...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Are they sure it wasn't just a misunderstanding? Because I thought mishandling classified materials wasn't a crime anymore.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
I believe Snowden was employed by Booze Allen as well. NSA: No Secrets Anymore

awpitt

Main Streeter
Martin faces a maximum sentence of one year in prison for the unauthorized removal and retention of classified materials, and ten years in prison for theft of government property.

That seems like an awfully light sentence for taking classified materials.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Hillary Clinton is getting the presidency for mishandling classified materials. Why should this guy be punished at all?

Just remember... the bar is "intent". Comey set the standard that you can mishandle classified all you want, as long as you didn't mean to.

Christy

b*tch rocket
I believe Snowden was employed by Booze Allen as well. NSA: No Secrets Anymore

This is such a shame. I worked at NSA many many years ago, pre-9/11, and I simply cannot understand how these things keep happening. You never took anything in or anything out. You were checked, individually, page by page of documents if you were taking something out. As far as Snowden, I am also astounded with what he was able to get access to as an IT guy. There were so many protections in place to maintain the "compartmentalization" of information. You simply did not get access to information that you were not read into, or had the need to know to have. You would think it would have tightened up even more after 9/11. It will likely take decades to fully recover from what Snowden did. :burning:

awpitt

Main Streeter

This is such a shame. I worked at NSA many many years ago, pre-9/11, and I simply cannot understand how these things keep happening. You never took anything in or anything out. You were checked, individually, page by page of documents if you were taking something out. As far as Snowden, I am also astounded with what he was able to get access to as an IT guy. There were so many protections in place to maintain the "compartmentalization" of information. You simply did not get access to information that you were not read into, or had the need to know to have. You would think it would have tightened up even more after 9/11. It will likely take decades to fully recover from what Snowden did. :burning:

My Dad worked at the NSA for almost 40 years. Retired in 1995. As a kid, I didn't even know what my Dad did for a living other than he worked in the big building with the golf balls on top.

b23hqb

PREMO Member

I have a cousin and her hubby that just retired this year from there, and have a younger cousin who is still an analyst there. From what i've heard, this new perp was a former Navy LT, and he was in possession of super secret hacker codes, so that could really spell big trouble for a long time. Throw these people away, forever.

http://theweek.com/speedreads/65323...cret-codes-used-hack-into-foreign-governments

Last edited:

awpitt

Main Streeter
I have a cousin and her hubby that just retired this year from there, and have a younger cousin who is still an analyst there. From what i've heard, this new perp was a former Navy LT, and he was in possession of super secret hacker codes, so that could really spell big trouble for a long time. Throw these people away, forever.

http://theweek.com/speedreads/65323...cret-codes-used-hack-into-foreign-governments

Yes. Those points were mentioned on CNN this morning.