Tom Phelan Begins Campaign for St. Mary's County Sheriff 2018

Editor

somd.com Editor
Staff member
PREMO Member
Patron
This just in this morning...

Retired U.S. Navy CAPT Tom Phelan has formally announced the launch of his campaign for Sheriff of St. Mary's County, MD in 2018.

"It is my desire to provide new, fresh and experienced leadership to the St. Mary's County Sheriff's Office and bring the next level of responsive administration to the citizens of St. Mary's County. I feel my leadership style and business expertise can continue to improve the operation of the Sheriff's Office and provide safety and security for our county," said Phelan.

Tom Phelan is a 26+ year veteran of the U. S. Navy, test pilot and combat veteran of Desert Storm, having first moved to St. Mary's County in 1987. He is currently working as a contractor supporting Test and Evaluation programs at Patuxent River. Capt. Phelan previously led and commanded four Naval Commands and is ready to provide his leadership skills and experience to the St. Mary's County Sheriff's Office.

Tom has been married to his wife Donna for 36 years, and together, they raised three children in St. Mary's County. Phelan has continued his commitment to the community through completion of St. Mary's County Citizen Police Academy and the Leadership Southern Maryland program.

Please visit Tom's website, www.tomphelanforsheriff.com or Facebook page, www.facebook.com/tomphelanforsheriff, to see more about Tom's experience and vision for the Sheriff's Office and St. Mary's County.

Authority: Friends of Phelan for Sheriff; Donna Phelan, Treasurer

3CATSAILOR

I appreciate CAPT Phelan running for office. I commend him for such an endeavor. However, the Office of the Sheriff is not something that any business person can simply walk in to and assume he can successfully take the reins. Today's law enforcement is under significant strain across our Country. In some cases, our law enforcement officers are being targeted. A business person should consider running for the the seat of a County Commissioner similar to what CAPT Stewart Fitrell did many years ago. I looked at his web site. I didn't see anything that indicated what he could do to improve upon what we already have in our Sheriff's Office and that of our Communities.

Whomever becomes our Sheriff or if our current Sheriff is reelected, it isn't an easy task. Our Sheriff has done a good job. And I expect he will continue to do so. Good training for our law enforcement and continuous open communication with the public are essential. Our Sheriff has done that. And I suspect he will continue to do so. It is very important that we have a Sheriff that knows what it means to run a law enforcement agency. Any law enforcement agency is unique in character. Therefore, the business format would never work for any law enforcement agency, let alone ours.

mdff21

Is he going to be able to meet the minimum requirements set by the Maryland Police Training Commission which oversees law enforcement officers in the state.

BlueOx77

Anyone can announce they're going to do something in a couple of years and not do it. Why is this a thread?

General Lee

Is he going to be able to meet the minimum requirements set by the Maryland Police Training Commission which oversees law enforcement officers in the state.

No law enforcement experience is required to be sheriff. It is an elected position.

officeguy

This is true...but in order to carry a weapon he has to meet the requirements and qualify with it on a MPTC training course.

There are sheriffs, in MD and other states, which are prohibited persons under federal law and wouldn't be able to buy a shotgun at a sporting goods store. No need for the sheriff to be on the street.

I just don't see what qualifies a test pilot to be sheriff. An infantry, MP or security forces officer I could see, but flying around planes doesn't necessarily make you a good leader of a larger organization.

BernieP

Resident PIA
There are sheriffs, in MD and other states, which are prohibited persons under federal law and wouldn't be able to buy a shotgun at a sporting goods store. No need for the sheriff to be on the street.

I just don't see what qualifies a test pilot to be sheriff. An infantry, MP or security forces officer I could see, but flying around planes doesn't necessarily make you a good leader of a larger organization.
I am neither for or against, just playing devil's advocate.
As mentioned, Sheriff is an elected position. There is much more to being Sheriff than carrying a gun. There is a lot of administrative work, managing the personnel, budgets, etc. Captain Phelan could argue that he has experience as a commanding officer ...blah blah blah.
I really don't know what he could say he could do better than the current sheriff. That would be up to his campaign to show.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I am neither for or against, just playing devil's advocate.
As mentioned, Sheriff is an elected position. There is much more to being Sheriff than carrying a gun. There is a lot of administrative work, managing the personnel, budgets, etc. Captain Phelan could argue that he has experience as a commanding officer ...blah blah blah.
I really don't know what he could say he could do better than the current sheriff. That would be up to his campaign to show.
The only reason I can see for this position being filled by a former deputy is that they're a known quantity to the other cops. This isn't necessarily a good thing, such as the case of a former teacher being on the school board. Sometimes being to close to a situation causes tunnel vision.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Since Phelan and Cameron are both republicans, is Phelan thinking that Cameron is not running for reelection?

BernieP

Resident PIA
The only reason I can see for this position being filled by a former deputy is that they're a known quantity to the other cops. This isn't necessarily a good thing, such as the case of a former teacher being on the school board. Sometimes being to close to a situation causes tunnel vision.

Captain Phelan (RET) USN. Your remark has me puzzled.
1. we don't know for sure who is opposition will be in the primary
2. I was only making a point, for the sake of argument, as to why he (Phelan), is as qualified as any.

A deputy might have a better understanding of the law enforcement aspects, but could lack the business and political skills to run the department.
Again, that's not an opinion on anyone person, just an argument that could be used.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I looked at Captain Phelan's Website and didn't find any specifics. I'd really like to know what he'd do differently. What does he feel isn't working now? And what would he do differently?

BernieP

Resident PIA
I looked at Captain Phelan's Website and didn't find any specifics. I'd really like to know what he'd do differently. What does he feel isn't working now? And what would he do differently?
Has Cameron hinted he may not seek re-election? Because it sounds like a whole lot of nothing to not have specifics if you want to unseat a popular incumbent. (I'm assuming he's popular since I don't see much in the way of criticism.)

awpitt

Main Streeter
Has Cameron hinted he may not seek re-election? Because it sounds like a whole lot of nothing to not have specifics if you want to unseat a popular incumbent. (I'm assuming he's popular since I don't see much in the way of criticism.)

I haven't heard if Cameron is running again or not.