What forum for discussion of home rule in St. Mary's

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Is this real home rule (like having municipal governments and incorporated towns) or just fewer checks on county government from the state?

Popster

It's on the ballot in November. I just wanted to get some opinions. Maybe I'll try Politics and Gov't .. Thanks

3CATSAILOR

The Commissioners will have you believe it is the best thing since Swiss Cheese. Changing our current form of government which we have had for a long, long time is the wrong answer. Why try to fix something that isn't broken? Only someone that doesn't understand politics would try to do that.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I'd like some opinions as well. I'm undecided because there are benefits and drawbacks to both.

You're right. It is a new thing that many of us don't know a whole lot about. One for sure, under our current form of govt, state delegates and senators from PG and Baltimore get to make decisions about local laws in St. Mary's County yet they are in no way accountable to the voters in St. Mary's County. On top of that, our local state delegation has no decision making powers over PG and Baltimore. Just doesn't seem right.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Are there any "before and after" stories out there for other counties that have adopted code home rule? Be interesting to read something that reflected on the changes that were observed.

stgislander

PREMO Member
You're right. It is a new thing that many of us don't know a whole lot about. One for sure, under our current form of govt, state delegates and senators from PG and Baltimore get to make decisions about local laws in St. Mary's County yet they are in no way accountable to the voters in St. Mary's County. On top of that, our local state delegation has no decision making powers over PG and Baltimore. Just doesn't seem right.

That's true, but as I understand it there's been an unwritten rule in the Legislature that delegates/senators do not oppose things requested from/for other counties. For example, St. Mary's County wants to implement a new regulation that requires Legislature approval. Assuming that the St. Mary's delegation to the Legislature is on-board with the new regulation, delegates/senators from the other counties would not oppose it.

awpitt

Main Streeter
That's true, but as I understand it there's been an unwritten rule in the Legislature that delegates/senators do not oppose things requested from/for other counties. For example, St. Mary's County wants to implement a new regulation that requires Legislature approval. Assuming that the St. Mary's delegation to the Legislature is on-board with the new regulation, delegates/senators from the other counties would not oppose it.

Well, I've heard that too but it hasn't always been true in practice. What ends up happening is that delegates/senators from the other counties will hold local legislation hostage in exchange for support for other legislation. So, that unwritten rule you mentioned is in name only.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Well, I've heard that too but it hasn't always been true in practice. What ends up happening is that delegates/senators from the other counties will hold local legislation hostage in exchange for support for other legislation. So, that unwritten rule you mentioned is in name only.

More often than not, the unwritten rule works. Which is why it is like checks and balances.

What is interesting is when the local delegation does not support something coming up from the county. I believe that happened a few years back when Roy Dyson didn't support something from St. Mary's. I don't remember the specifics, but possibly someone else here does.

awpitt

Main Streeter
More often than not, the unwritten rule works. Which is why it is like checks and balances.

What is interesting is when the local delegation does not support something coming up from the county. I believe that happened a few years back when Roy Dyson didn't support something from St. Mary's. I don't remember the specifics, but possibly someone else here does.

It was over the commissioners wanting to build a new courthouse. Dyson was against it because of the cost and wanting to preserve the existing courthouse. Dyson didn't not support state money for the project. Instead, the existing courthouse received and addition and renovation which has worked out great. Code Home Rule would've had nothing to do with this as it was an issue about state money being provided or not. This had nothing to do with local legislation.

Popster

Thanks for the info. Please keep it coming. I am going to speak with a former commissioner from chuck county to get some info. Will post it here.