Houthi rebels fire 2 missiles at US Navy destroyer

itsbob

I bowl overhand
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/1...missiles-at-us-navy-destroyer-in-red-sea.html

"Iranian-backed Houthi rebels fired two missiles at a U.S. Navy destroyer operating off the coast of Yemen in the Red Sea on Sunday -- though neither missile hit the ship, the Pentagon said in a statement."

I'm sure Barry has sKerry working on that strongly worded letter as I type this.
:bigwhoop:
And just a few days prior the same "rebels" ( I thought we called them terrorists) sank the HSV Swift (no longer a US property)

glhs837

Power with Control
And just a few days prior the same "rebels" ( I thought we called them terrorists) sank the HSV Swift (no longer a US property)

I thought I read that it was still US owned, just leased to the UAE company. Hope someone got the "Acts of organized rebellion" clause removed from the insurance policy.

edinsomd

Well well! There's a dance in the old dame yet:

http://www.military.com/daily-news/...elf-defense-report.html?ESRC=navy-a_161012.nl

"A Navy ship that came under fire from two missiles launched from rebel-held land in Yemen while it transited through international waters Sunday responded in self-defense with three missiles, a Defense Department official confirmed to Military.com."

And I sincerely hope the Houthi launch sites became instant gravel pits. I mean that in the nicest way, of course.

glhs837

Power with Control
Well well! There's a dance in the old dame yet:

http://www.military.com/daily-news/...elf-defense-report.html?ESRC=navy-a_161012.nl

"A Navy ship that came under fire from two missiles launched from rebel-held land in Yemen while it transited through international waters Sunday responded in self-defense with three missiles, a Defense Department official confirmed to Military.com."

And I sincerely hope the Houthi launch sites became instant gravel pits. I mean that in the nicest way, of course.

Not yet, from what I read, "we'll respond when and how we deem appropriate"

glhs837

Power with Control
Not yet, from what I read, "we'll respond when and how we deem appropriate"

Annnnd done

http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=97143

""Early this morning local time, the U.S. military struck three radar sites in Houthi-controlled territory on Yemen's Red Sea coast. Initial assessments show the sites were destroyed. "

Although, I do wonder if the lag was to give warning so we just destroyed the facility and gave the operators time to flee.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Annnnd done

http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=97143

""Early this morning local time, the U.S. military struck three radar sites in Houthi-controlled territory on Yemen's Red Sea coast. Initial assessments show the sites were destroyed. "

Although, I do wonder if the lag was to give warning so we just destroyed the facility and gave the operators time to flee.

As long as the same action is immediately repeated upon the location discovery of their new, improved radar facilities/SUV. Don't give them a chance to work.

glhs837

Power with Control
Should have used Tactical Nukes ... :elaine:

I'm thinking Yemem is empty enough you could make a case for that...... although this case seem tailor made for the new railgun. Pop a drone up for BDA, walk those cheap rounds in. Imagine, if you will, a railgun flechette round....... :)

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I'm thinking Yemem is empty enough you could make a case for that ...

I am thinking those stupid ####s do not understand anything but POWER ... well my friend nothing says '#### off and die' like a tac nuke

.... although this case seem tailor made for the new railgun. Pop a drone up for BDA, walk those cheap rounds in. Imagine, if you will, a railgun flechette round....... :)

:yay:

Indeed ... intercept the missiles, take out the site

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
Everything I've seen says it is an Iranian variant of Silkworm.

That's what I've been reading too. Now, not sure how much value I would assign to our being able to intercept them. I'm reminded of a time back in the mid-late 80s, might have been 1988, our P-3C crew was taking an Admiral and associated lessers on a littoral site visit tour around Asia. Of the stops was Mogadishu, a couple years pre-Blackhawk Down. We were told explicitly that our diplomatic clearance time window to fly into Mog was to be strictly adhered to, as the Somalis had a habit of popping off missile shots at any aircraft that didn't follow the rules. Our commander asked the briefer what the real risk level was, how had those shots gone. "Well, one of the three missiles they shot did actually clear the rail before blowing up.....by about 15 feet". As you might expect for 1960s Soviet equipment maintained for the last 10 years soley by the Somalis themselves.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
That's what I've been reading too. Now, not sure how much value I would assign to our being able to intercept them. I'm reminded of a time back in the mid-late 80s, might have been 1988, our P-3C crew was taking an Admiral and associated lessers on a littoral site visit tour around Asia. Of the stops was Mogadishu, a couple years pre-Blackhawk Down. We were told explicitly that our diplomatic clearance time window to fly into Mog was to be strictly adhered to, as the Somalis had a habit of popping off missile shots at any aircraft that didn't follow the rules. Our commander asked the briefer what the real risk level was, how had those shots gone. "Well, one of the three missiles they shot did actually clear the rail before blowing up.....by about 15 feet". As you might expect for 1960s Soviet equipment maintained for the last 10 years soley by the Somalis themselves.

In an earlier incident, one of those fired by the Houthis missed it's intended target, overflew it, and re-acquired a freighter farther down range. Hit it. From what I've been reading, the kill-range envelope isn't terribly large, starting at a pretty far stand-off distance to begin with and ending not a very impressive distance beyond that. A fairly short kill box.

Still...they can pack a wallop if they work as intended and detonate after penetrating the hull. The Israelis can attest to what it means to be "lucky"; the one that struck one of their corvettes hit a deck crane and exploded "outside".