Lawn service cost ( Scotts/ True Green)

Stew

Anybody use any of these lawn services for fertilizer, weed control ? What is the avg cost for a 1/4 acre yard? Worth it?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Anybody use any of these lawn services for fertilizer, weed control ? What is the avg cost for a 1/4 acre yard? Worth it?

Yes, I use Scott's (first year) and my lawn looks 10 times better. Our yard is probably between. 1.5 to 2 acres and it costs about $170 per treatment. When I do the math it's cheaper to have them do it then me to buy the fertilizer and do it myself.

They estimate by the year but they bill by the treatment.. if you chose to skip a treatment no bill..

They also put down like 600 pounds of lime this year.

I'd say it was worth it.. they treated our yard one morning, rained that afternoon. I called them and told them about 3 days later that our weeds weren't dying, they came back out that day and retreated with no additional costs..

officeguy

I used TrueGreen and they managed to turn my yard into crabgrass haven. Whatever they used for pre-emergent didn't work. Called them and they blamed it on the neighbors. For years after I dumped them they continued to stalk me like a psycho ex-girlfriend.
Neighbors used MRW out of La Plata had beautiful lawns. Not sure how far they go into St Marys.

black dog

Free America
I would recommend MRW lawn service.. They are locally owned and will do a great job..
They will start with a soil analysis and go from there.

Clem72

I used TrueGreen and they managed to turn my yard into crabgrass haven. Whatever they used for pre-emergent didn't work. Called them and they blamed it on the neighbors. For years after I dumped them they continued to stalk me like a psycho ex-girlfriend.
Neighbors used MRW out of La Plata had beautiful lawns. Not sure how far they go into St Marys.

This was my exact experience. I got whatever their highest tier package was, think it cost $650 or so for my 5000sqft of grass for a year, and I had to call them back after every treatment to get large patches of weeds that they missed. Then they "forgot" about aerating and seeding the lawn and did it almost two months late. Needless to say the grass didn't grow, but the crabgrass sure did.

Ended up cancelling and I just spray after mowing every couple of months and have about the same effectiveness. But they still call me and send letters constantly.

officeguy

Ended up cancelling and I just spray after mowing every couple of months and have about the same effectiveness. But they still call me and send letters constantly.

I read up a bit on what it takes and started to do my own. It's kind of fun to learn how to identify the weeds, find the right products and kill them all ;-)

As mentioned, MRW seems to really have a good grip on what it takes in this area to have nice turf. I was under the impression that the TrueGreen crew came somewhere out of PG and just had a rote 'one size fits none' approach.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I read up a bit on what it takes and started to do my own. It's kind of fun to learn how to identify the weeds, find the right products and kill them all ;-)

As mentioned, MRW seems to really have a good grip on what it takes in this area to have nice turf. I was under the impression that the TrueGreen crew came somewhere out of PG and just had a rote 'one size fits none' approach.

My understanding/ opinion is Scott's is a locally owned subsidiary, but that Tru-Green bought out Scott's Lawn Service (don't know if that's just local or national).. but the people that own the Scott's service (again locally) don't like the way they do business, so next year will be an independent company and not a National Franchise.

sparkyaclown

So we used MRW when we lived in Charles County and had a beautiful lawn. It was only about 1/4 acre. We moved to St. Marys and continued to use them and our 2 acre lawn went completely down hill. The last year we used them, there were almost weekly calls to them about weeds that were popping up in the yard which supposedly they would do an "emergency treatment" for as part of their service. Instead we kept getting the run around that our scheduled treatment was going to be later that week and could we just wait until then. That went on for several weeks without the so called regular treatment ever coming either. I finally got tired of that excuse after several weeks and cancelled them, by that time my yard was completely overrun with weeds. I should have taken the initiative and treated the problem when it first started but I had paid for the service so I stuck it out. My yard has never recovered and I'm not willing to give MRW another shot. I'd say on a small lawn they do great but I wouldn't use them for a larger lawn.

black dog

Free America
So we used MRW when we lived in Charles County and had a beautiful lawn. It was only about 1/4 acre. We moved to St. Marys and continued to use them and our 2 acre lawn went completely down hill. The last year we used them, there were almost weekly calls to them about weeds that were popping up in the yard which supposedly they would do an "emergency treatment" for as part of their service. Instead we kept getting the run around that our scheduled treatment was going to be later that week and could we just wait until then. That went on for several weeks without the so called regular treatment ever coming either. I finally got tired of that excuse after several weeks and cancelled them, by that time my yard was completely overrun with weeds. I should have taken the initiative and treated the problem when it first started but I had paid for the service so I stuck it out. My yard has never recovered and I'm not willing to give MRW another shot. I'd say on a small lawn they do great but I wouldn't use them for a larger lawn.

I will say this, one of my family members owns a irrigation business in southern Maryland, they have worked with MRW ie Rick and Wayne for well over 15 + years and I have never heard of any customers being disappointed or unhappy with there work.
They have done hundreds of jobs in unison locally together and never a problem with their work or there employees.
A couple of stand up guys.

Last edited: