Fireworks Friday Evening- look up

Grumpy

(from the website blog)

NASA and its partner Orbital ATK have postponed the launch of the company’s next commercial resupply mission to the International Space Station to no earlier than Sunday, Oct. 16, as the agency prepares for Tropical Storm Nicole at its tracking site in Bermuda.

A Sunday launch would occur at 8:03 p.m. EDT from NASA’s Wallops Flight Facility in Virginia, with a five-minute window. The launch will air live on NASA Television and the agency’s website beginning at 7 p.m. The date of the arrival of the Orbital ATK Cygnus spacecraft to the space station is to be determined.

NASA TV will air two prelaunch broadcasts Saturday, Oct. 15. At 4 p.m., scientists and researchers will discuss some of the investigations to be delivered to the station and, at 6 p.m., mission managers will provide an overview and status of launch operations. The briefings also will stream live on the agency’s website.

Popster

What's Up at Wallops

Mission: ISS Cargo Resupply
Launch Vehicle: Antares
Date: No Earlier Than Oct. 16
Time: 8:03 p.m. EDT
Back-Up Dates: Oct. 17-19

Goldenhawk

Delayed until Monday evening.
http://spaceflightnow.com/2016/10/16/faulty-cable-delays-antares-launch-24-hours/

If you have a chance to step outside tomorrow night and watch this launch, it's definitely worth your time. It's probably the largest rocket to be launched from a nearby location for decades. It will be easily visible from our area - you'll see a VERY bright light rising rapidly in the sky, east-southeast from here. Because the launch is shortly after sunset, the upper parts of the smoke trail will probably be nicely illuminated by the sun, even though the sky will be getting dark.

Planned launch time is about 7:40 PM; it should be visible within 30-60 seconds after launch (maybe a bit more if your viewing area has trees on the horizon).
http://www.universetoday.com/115565...unch-to-iss-on-oct-27-complete-viewing-guide/

It's also live-streamed online; I recommend watching or at least listening to the countdown online so you know if the launch actually goes, and when to begin watching the sky.

Of course, the last launch attempt a year ago was both rather more interesting and boring: I saw the explosion flash as a sudden bright orange glow on the horizon that slowly faded. It was apparent, when nothing appeared climbing into the sky, that something had gone very wrong.

CRHS89

Was it low in the sky? I was outside but didn't see it. I am surrounded by tall trees so I'm wondering if they blocked my view. Disappointed.

I've seen more spectacular launches (not talking about the big boom...) but it was fun nonetheless. Other launches head more northward, so they track higher in the sky. This one was headed over Bermuda, so it got small fast.

Better crowd than usual too. So many times people arrive at the last second with headlights blaring, in more of a party mood. People tonight really seemed interested in the science of it all.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I was able to see it up 1st stage separation then picked it back up a few minutes afterwards.
14717041_10207859237783956_8245785117241476981_n.jpg

FireBrand

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I've seen more spectacular launches (not talking about the big boom...) but it was fun nonetheless. Other launches head more northward, so they track higher in the sky. This one was headed over Bermuda, so it got small fast.

Better crowd than usual too. So many times people arrive at the last second with headlights blaring, in more of a party mood. People tonight really seemed interested in the science of it all.
we parked at the top of the hill by the biological lab's visitor center. sat under the willow tree.
did you roll in about 4 minutes pri with small flag on bike?

we parked at the top of the hill by the biological lab's visitor center. sat under the willow tree.
did you roll in about 4 minutes pri with small flag on bike?

No, I was right in front of you on the rail in a GMC pickup. Sat in the back of the truck in my recliner chair... :biggrin: