Mike Rowe on voting

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
http://qpolitical.com/24-hours-afte...sion-on-what-he-see-wrong-with-this-election/

I think this is brilliant and spot on. Like, every word of it.

A fan writes:

Hey Mike, I have nothing but respect for you. Your no-nonsense outlook and incredible eloquence have really had a profound impact in my life. Can you please encourage your huge following to go out and vote this election? I would never impose on you by asking you to advocate one politician over another, but I do feel this election could really use your help. I know that there are many people out there who feel like there is nothing they can do. Please try to use your gifts to make them see that they can do something – that their vote counts.”

Click the link to read Mike's response. I love it!

This_person

http://qpolitical.com/24-hours-afte...sion-on-what-he-see-wrong-with-this-election/

A fan writes:

Hey Mike, I have nothing but respect for you. Your no-nonsense outlook and incredible eloquence have really had a profound impact in my life. Can you please encourage your huge following to go out and vote this election? I would never impose on you by asking you to advocate one politician over another, but I do feel this election could really use your help. I know that there are many people out there who feel like there is nothing they can do. Please try to use your gifts to make them see that they can do something – that their vote counts.”

Read it top to bottom, and it was spot on. I generally feel more informed than the average voter, and I still do. However, I now feel obligated to read and learn more, not be complacent with my current state.

Great read - thank you for sharing.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

A fan writes:

He's spot on. I agree 100%.

During the Monica Lewinsky brouhaha, we acquired the internet and that is when I started finding the news for myself - not having to rely only on the broadcast and print media.

After the 2000 elections, I became a voracious news/politics watcher. I also had my own "go-to" sources for information on the internet by then, and had learned the art of surfing and searching for my own independent verification of said "news".

When I see people making the voting decisions they make without being informed, it is a pet peeve of mine. I know dozens of people who are like this, and I can only try to educate.

My older son is a voter who needs help sorting out the issues. I think it's pretty well known around here that he is developmentally disabled. He has some developmental & challenges, however, intellectually - he is capable of understanding the "ways of the world" albeit, in a less complicated way. He votes. When his ballot comes in, we go over the ballot and the issues and he makes his choices on the ballot. When he goes to vote, he has an attendant to help him cast his ballot. (Not me)

Some might think he has no business voting, but - actually - he probably understands the basics of this election better than most people, and that's because HE is always asking about the issues and the goings-on. He certainly listens to the news - because I have it on all the time. :nerd: He sees the news on lunch break where he works, and people talk on the public transportation as he goes to and from work. He gets points of view from many various sources and he has very definite ideas about them. He will say to me "so and so says this" or "I heard on the news that such and such..." and then interjects his opinions about it or he wants our input on it.

So, I totally agree with Mike Rowe.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Test your theory with people who disagree with you. Debate. Argue. Adjust your philosophy as necessary. Then, when the next election comes around, cast a vote for the candidate whose worldview seems most in line with your own.”

there’s nothing virtuous or patriotic about voting just for the sake of voting, and the next time someone tells you otherwise, do me a favor – ask them who they’re voting for. Then tell them you’re voting for their opponent. Then, see if they’ll give you a ride to the polls.”

THIS. This is what ticks me off about MOST of the Liberals who are friends of mine on FB. Most of them have no clue about the issues. I know - I've seen their posts and comments.

Just from scrolling and surfing my FB feed - I see them posting their memes and links trashing Donald Trump. A couple of them post articles describing "how you really are if you are voting for Donald Trump". I scroll on and just avoid them. I know darn well if I say anything - it will devolve into a situation where it will go ugly fast. ON THEIR part. I don't post unsavory stuff on FB, because I have friends from all walks of life - both personal and professional and I just keep the FB fun and light.

BUT!! There will probably be exceptions to that rule soon. If I post a few of the things I'm seeing lately, those Libs are gonna go apoplectic. That's because THEY can't handle it when anyone has a different view or wants to debate them. They immediately get the vapors and get nasty. Then they'll probably delete me. :shrug:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
H
Some might think he has no business voting, but - actually - he probably understands the basics of this election better than most people,

I have no doubt that he is a better informed voter than a good number of folks out there. Many of them right here on this forum. It terrifies me that there are voters who will not do their own research, and then vote, putting our country in terrible danger.
They honestly have no idea, and they will remain clueless until it begins to have an impact on their own lives.

LC_Sulla

Sure, we can blame the media, the system, and the candidates themselves, but let’s be honest – Donald and Hillary are there because we put them there. The electorate has tolerated the intolerable. We’ve treated this entire process like the final episode of American Idol. What did we expect?

Spot on. I believe he just called both candidates intolerable.

Hijinx

I read his answer and it was a good one.

However I have my own little part to add. He is right of course the right to vote should carry with it a certain knowledge of what and why you are there to vote.

Now let's take a quick peek at those people who are encouraging the vote.
First we have a faction who believes that prisoner should have the right to vote.
Then we have the faction that believes that people who are too stupid to be able to get a photo ID card should vote.

Ask yourself why these people are pushing these factions to vote.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
What a load of crap. 100% pure, undiluted garbage.

At least with the finale of American Idle you get someone who actually is qualified for and can do the job.

LC_Sulla

I read his answer and it was a good one.

However I have my own little part to add. He is right of course the right to vote should carry with it a certain knowledge of what and why you are there to vote.

Now let's take a quick peek at those people who are encouraging the vote.
First we have a faction who believes that prisoner should have the right to vote.
Then we have the faction that believes that people who are too stupid to be able to get a photo ID card should vote.

Ask yourself why these people are pushing these factions to vote.

15th Amendment

Amendment XV
Section 1.
The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any state on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.

This_person

15th Amendment

Amendment XV
Section 1.
The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any state on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.

Okay, so how do we know the person showing up claiming to vote is a citizen of the United States? How do we know they are the particular citizen they claim to be?

If you believe this restricts the government from any reasonable identification of any kind, isn't the mere act of registering to vote in the first place a violation of the 15th, in your view?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Amendment XV
Section 1.

And...?

Nobody is trying to abridge the right to vote based on race, color, or previous condition of servitude. The 15h was ratified in 1870, so you get one guess what it was in response to. If you need two guesses, please do not vote. Or breed.

I'll even give you a hint: it wasn't convicted criminals or people who couldn't produce identification.

LC_Sulla

And...?

Nobody is trying to abridge the right to vote based on race, color, or previous condition of servitude. The 15h was ratified in 1870, so you get one guess what it was in response to. If you need two guesses, please do not vote. Or breed.

I'll even give you a hint: it wasn't convicted criminals or people who couldn't produce identification.

Vrai, it's too late, I already produced offspring! :) (Let the comments commence!)

PsyOps

Pixelated
Amendment XV
Section 1.

Who is being denied their right to vote? If you're going to say convicted felons, the 5th addresses that: "nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law." Due process was exercised when they were convicted; thus they lose these rights. Since there are no amended provisions for when convicts are released, the 10th kicks in and it's left up to each state to either deny or grant voting rights to convicts.

This_person

Okay, so how do we know the person showing up claiming to vote is a citizen of the United States? How do we know they are the particular citizen they claim to be?

If you believe this restricts the government from any reasonable identification of any kind, isn't the mere act of registering to vote in the first place a violation of the 15th, in your view?

Unable to answer, LC?