Most GOP Senators Defecting from Trump Backed Amnesty Push

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Pro-'Gang of Eight' Republicans disproportionately bailing on their party's nominee

In a 2013 email published a few days ago by WikiLeaks, Hillary Clinton expressed views wildly at odds with those of the American citizenry: “My dream is a hemispheric common market, with open trade and open borders.” Most of Donald Trump’s Republican defectors are poised to help her achieve her open-borders dream.

As Republican elites continue to defy Republican voters on the crucial issue of immigration, it’s not surprising that the Senate’s open-borders crowd is refusing to back the man who—largely because of his hawkish immigration position — was chosen by Republican voters to be their party’s nominee. While only 30 percent of Senate Republicans voted for the open-borders “Gang of Eight” legislation (30 percent too many), the percentage was far higher among Trump defectors. Among senators who were in office in 2013, 55 percent (6 of 11) of those who now say that they cannot support Trump voted to support the “Gang of Eight” legislation.

Kelly Ayotte (R., N.H.) says she “cannot support” and “will not vote for” Trump. Susan Collins (R., Maine) says she “could not support” Trump. Jeff Flake (R., Ariz.) says Trump “needs to withdraw from the race.” Mark Kirk (R., Ill.) says Trump “should drop out.” John McCain (R., Ariz.) says he “will not vote for” Trump (but will instead “write in the name of some good” Republican, who in McCain’s imagination is running for president). And Lisa Murkowski (R., Alaska) says she “cannot and will not support” Trump, who has “has forfeited the right to be our party’s nominee.” All six voted for the Gang of Eight bill.

Hijinx

Pro-'Gang of Eight' Republicans disproportionately bailing on their party's nominee

In a 2013 email published a few days ago by WikiLeaks, Hillary Clinton expressed views wildly at odds with those of the American citizenry: “My dream is a hemispheric common market, with open trade and open borders.” Most of Donald Trump’s Republican defectors are poised to help her achieve her open-borders dream.

As Republican elites continue to defy Republican voters on the crucial issue of immigration, it’s not surprising that the Senate’s open-borders crowd is refusing to back the man who—largely because of his hawkish immigration position — was chosen by Republican voters to be their party’s nominee. While only 30 percent of Senate Republicans voted for the open-borders “Gang of Eight” legislation (30 percent too many), the percentage was far higher among Trump defectors. Among senators who were in office in 2013, 55 percent (6 of 11) of those who now say that they cannot support Trump voted to support the “Gang of Eight” legislation.

Kelly Ayotte (R., N.H.) says she “cannot support” and “will not vote for” Trump. Susan Collins (R., Maine) says she “could not support” Trump. Jeff Flake (R., Ariz.) says Trump “needs to withdraw from the race.” Mark Kirk (R., Ill.) says Trump “should drop out.” John McCain (R., Ariz.) says he “will not vote for” Trump (but will instead “write in the name of some good” Republican, who in McCain’s imagination is running for president). And Lisa Murkowski (R., Alaska) says she “cannot and will not support” Trump, who has “has forfeited the right to be our party’s nominee.” All six voted for the Gang of Eight bill.

These are people who need to be removed from their positions, I hope the voters remember them when next they come up for election.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
These are people who need to be removed from their positions, I hope the voters remember them when next they come up for election.

Why do they 'need' to be removed? Isn't that up to their constituents? Maybe it will come to you at some point but the reason the GOP, by and large, does what it does is because their constituents support it enough to do it and keep it up. Simply put, most Republicans, based simply on whom they vote for and known positions of those folks, as you have shown here, are for amnesty. :shrug:

Hijinx

Why do they 'need' to be removed? Isn't that up to their constituents? Maybe it will come to you at some point but the reason the GOP, by and large, does what it does is because their constituents support it enough to do it and keep it up. Simply put, most Republicans, based simply on whom they vote for and known positions of those folks, as you have shown here, are for amnesty. :shrug:

I stated I hope the voters remember them when next they come up for election.
To most that would mean their constituents should remove them.

It is my opinion, if they choose not to then there is nothing I can do about.
I still hope they vote to remove them come the next election..

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I stated I hope the voters remember them when next they come up for election.
To most that would mean their constituents should remove them.

It is my opinion, if they choose not to then there is nothing I can do about.
I still hope they vote to remove them come the next election..

Next time? NEXT time??? :lol:

Two seminal moments have happened in politics the last 15 years, truly remarkable events that stand out.

1. The Election of a GOP potus with an existing GOP congress, both chambers, coupled with a favorable court and the majority of state houses nationwide. This was THE moment, the chance, the power for the GOP, and all the small gummint talk to put it's money where it's mouth was. And what we saw wasn't even close. Just an enormous, massive expansion of gummint.

2. The 2009 fury of the people on the RIGHT for once, as opposed to the rather usual mass movements on the left be it anti war, social justice or what have you. This was people taking to the streets, peacefully, fairly respectfully, in overwhelming opposition to the ACA.

In both cases, whatever excuses one makes for why the people's CLEAR demands were not met, those demands were NOT met. Worse, there is ZERO sense that the ball is even being moved in that direction. Since then, the people have moved on to expressing distaste for the establishment candidate and, given polite dissent did not work, have moved on to vulgarity and ugliness, as the left long has, to make the point. That looks like it is going to fail as well. I suppose we'll see what happens to the GOP post election but it seems pretty clear, if it stays, it's meeting most people's wishes. If not, well, then not.

In any event, 'next time' has been going on since January 2001. The GOP did and has again won power. It's simply done little of what it sold and none of the major things while very clearly joining with the left on most major issues. War, Wall Street, expanding gummint and, yes, immigration.

Hijinx

Next time? NEXT time??? :lol:

Two seminal moments have happened in politics the last 15 years, truly remarkable events that stand out.

1. The Election of a GOP potus with an existing GOP congress, both chambers, coupled with a favorable court and the majority of state houses nationwide. This was THE moment, the chance, the power for the GOP, and all the small gummint talk to put it's money where it's mouth was. And what we saw wasn't even close. Just an enormous, massive expansion of gummint.

2. The 2009 fury of the people on the RIGHT for once, as opposed to the rather usual mass movements on the left be it anti war, social justice or what have you. This was people taking to the streets, peacefully, fairly respectfully, in overwhelming opposition to the ACA.

In both cases, whatever excuses one makes for why the people's CLEAR demands were not met, those demands were NOT met. Worse, there is ZERO sense that the ball is even being moved in that direction. Since then, the people have moved on to expressing distaste for the establishment candidate and, given polite dissent did not work, have moved on to vulgarity and ugliness, as the left long has, to make the point. That looks like it is going to fail as well. I suppose we'll see what happens to the GOP post election but it seems pretty clear, if it stays, it's meeting most people's wishes. If not, well, then not.

In any event, 'next time' has been going on since January 2001. The GOP did and has again won power. It's simply done little of what it sold and none of the major things while very clearly joining with the left on most major issues. War, Wall Street, expanding gummint and, yes, immigration.

So what is your suggestion ? Anarchy?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
So what is your suggestion ? Anarchy?

It sure a hell ain't Trump. Good lord.

My advice is the same as it always has been; stop forcing yourself into the D or R paradigm. Find someone you actually support and send them $10 a month, year round. Support them. Promote them to friends.
The internet provides the opportunity for people to build coalitions outside the 'system'. It takes 70 million votes and perhaps $2 billion to win the Presidency. If someone can reach 100,000 supporters who will give them a handful of bucks to fight the good fight, then, at $10 a month, that's a million a MONTH, year by year to make a case be it local or state or higher. A kitten can get millions more views over night. If there are truly 70 million conservatives or right leaning, or left leaning people, the money isn't the issue. Operating outside the box is.

Be FOR someone or something.

Hijinx

It sure a hell ain't Trump. Good lord.

My advice is the same as it always has been; stop forcing yourself into the D or R paradigm. Find someone you actually support and send them $10 a month, year round. Support them. Promote them to friends.
The internet provides the opportunity for people to build coalitions outside the 'system'. It takes 70 million votes and perhaps $2 billion to win the Presidency. If someone can reach 100,000 supporters who will give them a handful of bucks to fight the good fight, then, at $10 a month, that's a million a MONTH, year by year to make a case be it local or state or higher. A kitten can get millions more views over night. If there are truly 70 million conservatives or right leaning, or left leaning people, the money isn't the issue. Operating outside the box is.

Be FOR someone or something.

You might take your own advice.