Chili Dog Eating Contest
Corn-Dawg Hole Tournament 1pm-2pm
Name the Crab Mascot Contest
Food Samples!

Fun for the whole family!

Baydawgz.png

glhs837

Power with Control
Yes, they did a soft open a while back, that way the staff and processses are smooth for the GRand Opening. Honestly wasnt expecting to love the all beef dog with crab dip, but they went well together. Beans were pretty tasty too.

keekee

Ooh, I do! I love me a good dog.

I don't mind a hot dog now & then... but I agree with spr1975wshs - I'll cook them at home on the grill.

I also love a bowl of cheerios in the morning, but I'm not ordering them when I go out for breakfast...

Not sure how this hot dog place will do... we'll see.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Says who? I love the concept of BayDawgz!

Me too and I'm sure I will be their customer frequently. Doing dogs at home means cooking 8 of them, because that's how many are in a package. Usually I don't want 8 hotdogs - I just want one or maybe two. So running by the Sheetz or Sonic or now BayDawgz is perfect for my fix.

Me too and I'm sure I will be their customer frequently. Doing dogs at home means cooking 8 of them, because that's how many are in a package. Usually I don't want 8 hotdogs - I just want one or maybe two. So running by the Sheetz or Sonic or now BayDawgz is perfect for my fix.

:shrug: I keep mine in the freezer and take what I need. Sometimes I cook a few extra so I can have them cold on a bun later. But never use a whole package just because it was opened.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
:shrug: I keep mine in the freezer and take what I need. Sometimes I cook a few extra so I can have them cold on a bun later. But never use a whole package just because it was opened.

:yeahthat: is why home food packaging products are made, break things out into serving sizes, freeze or refrigerate as necessary.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I'd buy a hotdog out ...for lunch. Maybe not dinner, but hey - if I'd been running around shopping or on errands - sure. :yay: Specialty dawgs are quite a bit better than a plain old pork product hot dog you buy at the grocery store. :shrug:

ltown81

There was a place like this in Cambridge that lasted maybe a year.

The issue they will have is that most people are thinking "I am craving a fancy hot dog right now". People like them..the issue is..they normally have a choice of something they like more. I live in Hollywood..how many restaurants would have to drive by to get a hot dog? I like the concept, but it would be better paired with some other food done up fancy like hamburgers or something.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I think they'll do a good lunch business, dinner not so much.

But I am also their target audience - the hot dog lover who doesn't need a burger or whatever else to entice me and wouldn't be distracted by driving past other restaurants to get to them. To me, they would be a destination.

The issue I see with them is that they're pricey.

tipsymcgee

There was a place like this in Cambridge that lasted maybe a year.

The issue they will have is that most people are thinking "I am craving a fancy hot dog right now". People like them..the issue is..they normally have a choice of something they like more. I live in Hollywood..how many restaurants would have to drive by to get a hot dog? I like the concept, but it would be better paired with some other food done up fancy like hamburgers or something.

Was that the Hot Spot place? They closed up? I went there a few times and enjoyed it -- but it was pricey, and at the end of the day what they advertise as an angus beef hot dog with grilled onions and dijon isn't a ton different from a beef dog at Wawa. But they had great hand-cut fries to go with it. A place in Ocean City only lasted a couple years, also, the Dog House up on Gold Coast Mall. But it looked like this place had more than just dogs, no?

ltown81

That's the main issue. To afford a restaurant selling ONLY hot dogs, you have to charge a bit to cover the overhead. But when people can get them at Sonic or Wawa for under $2, it is a hard sell. I always thought this type of business would be better as a food truck or something.

I think they'll do a good lunch business, dinner not so much.

But I am also their target audience - the hot dog lover who doesn't need a burger or whatever else to entice me and wouldn't be distracted by driving past other restaurants to get to them. To me, they would be a destination.

The issue I see with them is that they're pricey.

Agreed....

Taking a family of 4 for a hot dog based meal should not cost you upwards of $40-50 :nono:

Was that the Hot Spot place? They closed up? I went there a few times and enjoyed it -- but it was pricey, and at the end of the day what they advertise as an angus beef hot dog with grilled onions and dijon isn't a ton different from a beef dog at Wawa. But they had great hand-cut fries to go with it. A place in Ocean City only lasted a couple years, also, the Dog House up on Gold Coast Mall. But it looked like this place had more than just dogs, no?

BernieP

Resident PIA
I hope they do well, but I see two issues. (well maybe 3)
1. location: San Souci is not exactly convenient to the people on base (hell noting off base is really convenient anymore). I would assume they are counting on lunch time business. They are fighting for a limited audience with a location that may not be prime.
2. menu / price point: As mentioned by others, going to need a lot of hot dog lovers who aren't going to opt for a cheaper dog a places they drove past to get there.
3. Costs: I've been told by several business people who have leased in San Souci that the rent is high and the landlord is not to responsive to fixing problems with the facility if things break.

On the other hand, they more than likely had to present a business case to a bank for financing.