Yesterday was almost my last day on Earth

birdonamission

Yesterday afternoon I was entering the intersection behind one car when we got a green light arrow to make a left at the Marshall Hall Road and Indian Head Highway intersection in Bryans Road when, all of a sudden, this complete idiot goes screaming through the intersection (of course, a red light for him) at probably 65-70 MPH, literally only 2-3 seconds (probably less) before I would've been a bulls-eye for him as I was making my turn northbound. Remember, there was one car in front of me, so that guy also averted a total catastrophe by the sheer protection of God and our guardian angels. This moron went through there like a bat out of **** going in between our cars just barely missing us with just a few seconds to spare (not to mention whomever else turning to make their left turn from the opposite side to go southbound on 210 (I was so shocked, I didn't notice if anyone was doing that). It's 50 MPH around there and it moves down to 40 right after the light, but this guy was NOT even close. I'm pretty sure in that split second as he flew by I remember the silhouette of his head was tilted down as if he was looking at his phone or something.

I definitely wouldn't have survived being t-boned at that speed on the driver's side and you would've been reading about this horrific fatal accident in Bryans Road on Friday. All I can do is thank God and remember to always, always, always pause and look both ways even though I have a green light (normally I just proceed on green without too much thought [more on reflex]). Everybody, please do check at every light change - watch out for reckless fools like this imbecile who have no regard for anyone nor anything going around them while operating a 4,000-pound vehicle at ungodly speeds!

I learned really hard from this incident that seconds truly do count.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Glad you're ok. :huggy: Good reminder for all of us, Look Before Proceeding, Even On Your Right Of Way.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
When I read the Illinois driver's manual before getting a new license when my Ohio one expired, it said in the safety section to not proceed immediately on Green because of idiots like the above.

birdonamission

Glad you're ok. :huggy: Good reminder for all of us, Look Before Proceeding, Even On Your Right Of Way.

People drive like freaking maniacs.

Glad you're okay, Bird.

When I read the Illinois driver's manual before getting a new license when my Ohio one expired, it said in the safety section to not proceed immediately on Green because of idiots like the above.

Hey, guys - thanks. Yeah, it was definitely crazy (and sobering) to think about what could've happened. Thankful to be safe and to live another day. :)

Smart of Illinois to include that. You do the things you have control over, but then part 2 is to watch out for the lunatics. It can be a free-for-all out there. :eek:

glhs837

Power with Control
Yeah, I always give it a second look. I know I irritate some folks for not jumping, but screw them. Especially at the Gate 3 light. If that intersection does not have the highest accident count/traffic count, I would be shocked.

ginwoman

Glad you were not hit. I've had close calls similar to that. It only takes a second for things to change.

OldHillcrestGuy

I don't know what time it was, (think Saturday) but there was fatal at the intersection on Indian Head Hwy and Berry Rd. where it sounds like someone went through the redlight on notthbound Indian Head and struck 2 cars turning left onto Berry Rd. Little article in todays Post in the metro section. Wonder if it could be the same guy, that's only a couple miles up the road.

edinsomd

Yeah, I always give it a second look. I know I irritate some folks for not jumping, but screw them. Especially at the Gate 3 light. If that intersection does not have the highest accident count/traffic count, I would be shocked.

That's your motorcyclist automatic self-protection kicking in. Even though I no longer ride, I do the same thing.

PeoplesElbow

I do that also, I just came from New Jersey and there the instant the light turns green the person behind you is on the horn. Those people up there love their horns, if you look at their cars though you will be hard pressed to find one that isn't banged up.

luvmygdaughters

Same thing happened to my daughter at the 235 & 4 intersection a few years back. I was following her from Solomons to go to Leonardtown. We were sitting at the redlight to cross over 235 onto St. Andrews Rd. There was a car in front of her. Our light turned green, the car in front of her proceeded across 235, my daughter was crossing 235 when a car going north on 235 ran the red light and screeched to a halt in between my daughter and myself. If she had proceeded in the intersection 2 - 5 seconds earlier, that idiot would've killed her. Always...I mean always...count to three when the light turns green before proceeding.

glhs837

Power with Control
Same thing happened to my daughter at the 235 & 4 intersection a few years back. I was following her from Solomons to go to Leonardtown. We were sitting at the redlight to cross over 235 onto St. Andrews Rd. There was a car in front of her. Our light turned green, the car in front of her proceeded across 235, my daughter was crossing 235 when a car going north on 235 ran the red light and screeched to a halt in between my daughter and myself. If she had proceeded in the intersection 2 - 5 seconds earlier, that idiot would've killed her. Always...I mean always...count to three when the light turns green before proceeding.

Given how long green lights really are, most under 30 seconds, a three count might be excessive. I scan oncoming for possible threats and judge from there. Better to be proactively involved in expanding your bubble of awareness to look for threats than follow a blind rule of seconds, IMO.

birdonamission

I know. Good that you do that regardless of the horn-leaners behind you ("deal with it," right).

birdonamission

I don't know what time it was, (think Saturday) but there was fatal at the intersection on Indian Head Hwy and Berry Rd. where it sounds like someone went through the redlight on notthbound Indian Head and struck 2 cars turning left onto Berry Rd. Little article in todays Post in the metro section. Wonder if it could be the same guy, that's only a couple miles up the road.

Given how long green lights really are, most under 30 seconds, a three count might be excessive. I scan oncoming for possible threats and judge from there. Better to be proactively involved in expanding your bubble of awareness to look for threats than follow a blind rule of seconds, IMO.

Wow...between the actual accidents in which the victims were not as lucky and these close calls...makes you want to just stay home and not drive at all! I think what helped me on Friday was that I sensed a sound (zooming of the car) coming from my left + I had the awareness of an object hurling down the highway towards the intersection in my peripheral vision. Such a close call.

birdonamission

I do that also, I just came from New Jersey and there the instant the light turns green the person behind you is on the horn. Those people up there love their horns, if you look at their cars though you will be hard pressed to find one that isn't banged up.

We frequent the Jersey Shore (Ocean City [they have one, too] and surrounding areas). I guess in that area of N.J. people are nicer and more laid back (vacation mode). But the New Jersey Turnpike (and sometimes the Garden State Parkway)? Forget about it (maybe New Yorkers just passing through...lol). :)

glhs837

Power with Control
Wow...between the actual accidents in which the victims were not as lucky and these close calls...makes you want to just stay home and not drive at all! I think what helped me on Friday was that I sensed a sound (zooming of the car) coming from my left + I had the awareness of an object hurling down the highway towards the intersection in my peripheral vision. Such a close call.

Actually, for sensing motion your peripheral vision is best. But I also make damn sure I've made a positive visual check of all crossing traffic. If you don't know they are coming until they are in the intersection, it's too late. Like Ed pointed out, if you want the best survival strategies you cant go wrong mimicking old bikers.

Restitution

To this day, it still amazes me how many accidents there are just in St. Mary's county (and possibly just over the TJ bridge to Lusby) alone.

I have lived in places where there are 3 to 4 times the population in the same amount of area and NOT seen this many accidents.

Gotta chalk it up to poor planning. Idiot drivers are everywhere but, they seem to not be able to handle the roads and traffic around here.

glhs837

Power with Control
To this day, it still amazes me how many accidents there are just in St. Mary's county (and possibly just over the TJ bridge to Lusby) alone.

I have lived in places where there are 3 to 4 times the population in the same amount of area and NOT seen this many accidents.

Gotta chalk it up to poor planning. Idiot drivers are everywhere but, they seem to not be able to handle the roads and traffic around here.

Maybe you just didn't see them? Might be the lack of roads here means you are more likely to actually encounter an accident.

RetiredCPO

Just my opinion, if you're driving on any public roadway, you should be scanning your surroundings at all times. Well before any light changes to green to allow you to proceed, you should already know what is going on around you. A stop light is not the time to reply to text messages which is the case most of the time I see this happen. If those who feel they should wait a second or two, that's fine with me. What I have an issue with is the people who are texting at a light completely clueless to what is going on around them and get pissed when you give them a friendly reminder that the light has been green for the last 10 seconds! My personal peeve is with the left turn off of North 235 to Buck Hewitt, it is a motion controlled turn light. If the motion detector does not see motion, it will change back to red immediately. I've sat at that light for 2 to 3 cycles due to the JA at the head of the line not paying attention and then racing through the yellow to make the turn. So yes, I'm one of the people who will hit the horn to wake these idiots up. Said my peace....