Coyotes spotted the dameron area

3CATSAILOR

Just to give folks the heads up, coyotes have been spotted in the Dameron area. Use caution. Most of the time they are not dangerous to humans. It is suggested that you make a lot of noise if you are outside walking around. People that jog around coyotes may have a problem. Coyotes can mistake a jogger as someone "running away" from the coyote. Thus the animal may think he has the upper hand on you. They usually keep their distance. However, they are known to attack pets. I personally suspect they will attack small children, put I have never heard of it. If you have a chicken house as some folks do in Southern Maryland, you are very likely to attract them. Your chickens are considered as "desert". They love chickens!! They will find any way possible to get in to a chicken coop.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Just to give folks the heads up, coyotes have been spotted in the Dameron area. Use caution. Most of the time they are not dangerous to humans. It is suggested that you make a lot of noise if you are outside walking around. People that jog around coyotes may have a problem. Coyotes can mistake a jogger as someone "running away" from the coyote. Thus the animal may think he has the upper hand on you. They usually keep their distance. However, they are known to attack pets. I personally suspect they will attack small children, put I have never heard of it. If you have a chicken house as some folks do in Southern Maryland, you are very likely to attract them. Your chickens are considered as "desert". They love chickens!! They will find any way possible to get in to a chicken coop.

They trapped one last year in St Inigoes, and we had one in our fields last year ate up with Mange.

Never bothered us.. but the foxes and raccoons took out my chickens.

Tito

Donkey Smell
I wrastled one two weeks ago. Damn near tore my ear off but I gutted the bastard.

TPD

the poor dad

A friend killed a coyote 2 weeks ago on St Jeromes Neck Road. It was a pup - 1 of 2 pups seen in the area recently. I had a pic but can't find it at the moment.

glhs837

Power with Control
They trapped one last year in St Inigoes, and we had one in our fields last year ate up with Mange.

Never bothered us.. but the foxes and raccoons took out my chickens.

Haven't seen any here just north of SMCM, but occasionally something take a wiz around the house that just keeps my small dogs on edge and gets the 35lb one twitchy. Do coyotes like turkey?

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Haven't seen any here just north of SMCM, but occasionally something take a wiz around the house that just keeps my small dogs on edge and gets the 35lb one twitchy. Do coyotes like turkey?

Coyotes are situational/opportunistic feeders, they'll eat just about anything. Could one take down a full grown Tom? Maybe not, but they'll raid nests and go after young turkeys.

Once coyotes are in an area the foxes pretty much disappear.

They've been in Charles, and all of SOMD, for years. There used to be one that skulked around my goose blind several years ago around daybreak. I never got a clear shot at him.

somdwatch

I believe I heard some out about 0100 on Saturday night on Grayson Rd. Hell of a racket. Sounded like pups, but the house from which the noise came has no dogs.

Clem72

I have lived most of my life in areas with coyotes and other than finding the occasional dead rabbit (head and feet look normal, and the rest a skeleton, looks like an offering at some devil worshipping cult) never had an issue.

No attacks on people, none on pets (even fairly small dogs). I don't have chickens, but I don't think coyotes are like foxes and try to break into coops.

Elle

Happy Camper!
20161004_152030.jpg

I took this photo 2 weeks ago on St. Jerome's Neck Road