CO2 to Ethanol

Another product of combustion is CO. If they could get a conversion process for CO as well as CO2, then you could have a near self-sustaining power cycle in a closed loop system with no greenhouse gases or noxious fumes.

:jet:

Yeah, I know the math....... not possible. But this new conversion sounds very promising.

stgislander

PREMO Member
So if scientist/engineers can scale this up and make it commercially viable (or the govt forces it down companies' throats), we could be, in theory, swimming in ethanol. Is there a huge market for ethanol? If not, can it be stored indefinitely or are we just creating another potential problem?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
The moment we find a way to economically remove CO2 from the atmosphere then there will be reports that we're taking too much CO2 out of the atmosphere

black dog

Free America
Now this looks very promising.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/green-tech/a23417/convert-co2-into-ethanol/

It would allow us to stop wasting corn or other foodstuffs by turning it into ethanol.

So if scientist/engineers can scale this up and make it commercially viable (or the govt forces it down companies' throats), we could be, in theory, swimming in ethanol. Is there a huge market for ethanol? If not, can it be stored indefinitely or are we just creating another potential problem?

Ethanol is going nowhere soon..
The Renewable Fuels Association reported 209 ethanol distilleries in operation located in 29 states in 2011, and 140 under construction or expansion as of December 2011, that upon completion, would bring U.S. total installed capacity to 15.0 billion US gallons. Most expansion projects are aimed to update the refinery's technology to improve ethanol production, energy efficiency, and the quality of the livestock feed they produce.

Producing ethanol is huge in the mid-west and the western states.
About 4 miles above the town I live at in, we have a plant and the semi's line up early every morning and it's a constant flow of daily railcars leaving the plant.
Living in Maryland you just don't see it.

Well, unlike Methanol, Ethanol is drinkable. Cheap booze for the masses.

My dad had a saying from his Navy sailor days, apparently there were many getting sick from the wrong alcohol. "You go out with Ethel, not Methel."

black dog

Free America
Well, unlike Methanol, Ethanol is drinkable. Cheap booze for the masses.

My dad had a saying from his Navy sailor days, apparently there were many getting sick from the wrong alcohol. "You go out with Ethel, not Methel."

That has happened here on more than one occasion, some with poor understanding drink it and quickly figure out when it leaves the plant I believe it's mixed with a 10% solution of gasoline.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
That has happened here on more than one occasion, some with poor understanding drink it and quickly figure out when it leaves the plant I believe it's mixed with a 10% solution of gasoline.
That's known as denatured alcohol.