Hogan Rolls Back Septic Laws, Paves the Way for Dumb Growth

newsBot

Automated News Bot
Staff member
This just in from the somd.com Headline News:

Title: Hogan Rolls Back Septic Laws, Paves the Way for Dumb Growth

Date: 10-22-2016 02:26 PM

Summary: Environmentalist Tom Horton gives his take on Maryland's rollback of modern septic tank requirements.

Click here for the full story...

Warron

From what I've read, these reduced nitrogen septic tanks cost alot more money and have low reliability. It's not surprising that many people don't support the technology.

Hijinx

From what I've read, these reduced nitrogen septic tanks cost alot more money and have low reliability. It's not surprising that many people don't support the technology.

They stink and they add about 40 dollars a month to your electric bill.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Historically, in the absence of protective rural zoning, septic perc tests steered development toward prime farm soils and bigger lots—toward the suburban sprawl that's well-documented to increase air pollution through more driving; raise taxes as counties extend services; and gobble up an average eight times as much land per household than do homes connected to sewers.

sounds like he wants everyone to live in a hive (or what I call hell).

officeguy

If you want to limit development, change zoning. Don't monkey with the engineering of homes.

I can see the use for BAT septics in locations where the infiltrated surface water goes into a waterway or lake. I have yet to see evidence that requiring BAT in locations miles from the bay makes a difference in the overall nitrogen balance of the bay. There is a downside to aerobic septics. Over the lifetime of a septic system, they use a lot of energy and require a lot of maintenance and parts replacements.

glhs837

Power with Control
Over the lifetime of a septic system, they use a lot of energy and require a lot of maintenance and parts replacements.

(saidwithoverycheerfulannouncervoice) And that's great for the economy, kids!!! So tell Mom and Dad that if they dont switch, they are killing the planet!!!

PeoplesElbow

All "smart growth" does is allow more houses to be crammed into somewhere because eventually those rural areas will be built up as soon as a farmer sells to a developer and they lobby local politicians.

Hijinx

All "smart growth" does is allow more houses to be crammed into somewhere because eventually those rural areas will be built up as soon as a farmer sells to a developer and they lobby local politicians.

I suppose if you don't mind living in a home where you can look into your neighbors home which is 10 feet from your own it's smart, but I don't like it.

Professor Horton seems to think that us lowly "Rural" folks are too stupid to plan our own development and zoning. Apparently, in his mind, only big government is capable of taking care of the ignorant masses and us rural folks only know how to do "Dumb growth". Typical Libtard thinker.....

glhs837

Power with Control
I suppose if you don't mind living in a home where you can look into your neighbors home which is 10 feet from your own it's smart, but I don't like it.

Guy I know bought in the new development near the Moakley. When the next door neighbor was having his house built, he got the bump out on the rear, and added a big ol' window facing this guys yard, ends up being like 10 feet away. My guy is planting bamboo because due to the slope, his six foot fence provides no privacy. Man, soooooo glad I spent a bit more on land and less on the house. Only see one neighbors lights through the trees.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
and added a big ol' window facing this guys yard, ends up being like 10 feet away. My guy is planting bamboo because due to the slope, his six foot fence provides no privacy.

I could never live like that. Yet those closely bunched developments keep springing up everywhere....

DEEKAYPEE8569

Give or take a few inches; that's about how close the houses are in certain Santa Barbara (CA) cities.

glhs837

Power with Control
I could never live like that. Yet those closely bunched developments keep springing up everywhere....

Yep, place near me, they had a 15-20 lot 3-4 acre each subdivision planned out, cut the rough roads through and all. Still sits there. Think St James lot size with less clearcut. People dont see the value in land by itself. Why pay $399K for a 2800 square foot house on a 3-4 acre lot when you can get 3500 square feet on 1/10th an acre for 340K.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Yep, place near me, they had a 15-20 lot 3-4 acre each subdivision planned out, cut the rough roads through and all. Still sits there. Think St James lot size with less clearcut. People dont see the value in land by itself. Why pay $399K for a 2800 square foot house on a 3-4 acre lot when you can get 3500 square feet on 1/10th an acre for 340K.

With all the boats, trucks, cars and other "stuff" on my place...I can just imagine how that would fit in to today's average subdivision.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Oh, it would not, and if you tried, the HOA would take your house.....

I never understood why anyone would cede their property rights to an HOA.

That said..sometimes you have to draw lines and pull triggers. Almost 20 years ago, the county P&Z folks told me that I'd have to run my shop building plans past the local "association" for comment and approval. I said "BS..no way..nothing in my deed cedes them any authority" and sent the association a letter asking them how much money they had to spend on defending themselves from a lawsuit for infringing illegally on my property rights as an unvested and illegal "authority". They quickly decided to send the county a message that they really didn't want to be involved in local zoning matters any more. Ended decades of their interference...right then and there.

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
I never understood why anyone would cede their property rights to an HOA.

Because intact property values are better than freedom. And new houses built buy rushed illegal crews to bare minimum specs on the silly fast timeline from "builder grade" materials are always better than older houses....... I guess, anyway.

officeguy

Oh, it would not, and if you tried, the HOA would take your house.....

Even the subdivisions with 3-4 acre lots have these hoa nazi wet dream covenants. You need to buy a rural property with a home or perc on it if you want to have your old cars in the yard.

glhs837

Power with Control
Even the subdivisions with 3-4 acre lots have these hoa nazi wet dream covenants. You need to buy a rural property with a home or perc on it if you want to have your old cars in the yard.

True, places like Wickshire Farms and St James do indeed have active HOAs. Which, given the open nature of most of the lots, makes sense. My little piece of heaven, hell they didnt even write up the road ownership worth a crap. Just says "Maintenance of the road shall be the shared responsibility of the landowners". No mechanism, no schedule, no plan. But what they did do is state that the first 150 feet depth of each property was not allowed to be cleared of trees beyond what was needed for the driveways, and that condition holds to this day. Good fences make for good neighbors and 150 feet of old growth forest makes for a very good fence :)