Frigging METCOM

blacklabman

My water stopped. I tried to contact them. Seems no emergency number on website. 8AM and still no contact. What do these azzholes have, bankers hours?

However, glad to see they fired that lawyer.

DEEKAYPEE8569

My water stopped. I tried to contact them. Seems no emergency number on website. 8AM and still no contact. What do these azzholes have, bankers hours?

However, glad to see they fired that lawyer.
If you can't reach them by phone by now, I'd go to H'wood and stand on somebody's desk.....or were you able to talk to somebody with a pulse this morning?

blacklabman

Problem resolved. For some reason my water was turned off.

The strange lady next door had passed and a bunch of emergency vehicles were in my yard. I guess they requested it, for whatever reason. I can take a shower now.

Potomac

Sorry but this is not entirely accurate. When you call MetCom the recorded answering system tells the caller the emergency number to call for after hours or in case of an emergency.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

The strange lady next door had passed and a bunch of emergency vehicles were in my yard. I guess they requested it, for whatever reason. I can take a shower now.

Emergency responders requested that your water to be turned off?

DEEKAYPEE8569

Have you ever seen those water meters? If you live in a development that has public water service, there are two meters/shut-off's under one small, heavy steel/cast iron cover (whatever they're made of); one's yours and the other is your N-D-N's. You would think that METCOM would know which meter was for which house.

Potomac

That was absolutely not true. I think you most likely read that in the Baynet. Remember, they are NOT reliable, not at all. Also remember, that one of their owners, Mr. Barthleme is a Metcom commissioner, sent down to the Metcom board by Commissioner O'Connor who appears to have some sort of bizarre twisted vendetta against Ms. Meiser. A person, publishing trash, consistently inaccuracies about a public organization, should not be a member of the guiding board of that organization. But the Co Commissioners appear alright with that, so he must be achieving something they want him to achieve
Why would you believe any attorney at a small public utility is earning almost a half-million dollars ??

Potomac

Well that is pretty insulting officeguy. Tune into a metCom meeting sometime. You will see the Board vote down cost of living adjustments and salary studies. They have absolutely NO interest in even bringing employees up to current standards by considering a salary study.
Again, consider the source, the Baynet. It is not a credible source, not by any measure. The Baynet is making money off of clicks, selling adverting, by running these outrageous stories, provided by the MetCom chair. Pretty nice huh?

Clem72

Why would you believe any attorney at a small public utility is earning almost a half-million dollars ??

Because it costs me $90 a month to flush my toilet twice a day and take one shower each day. Used to cost $8/mo when I lived IN THE DESERT.

Potomac

Clem -I would be interested to know the population served by that utility. MetCom is a very small utility serving around somewhere less than 40% of the entire county. This makes it expensive because many fixed costs are distributed among fewer users. MetCom serves parts of the county from Wicomico Shores to Ridge, from St George Island to Lexington Park. Services are isolated among various communities. If larger communities/areas of the county were served this would certainly help with costs. It is an economy of scale. Compare metcom fees to surrounding jurisdictions and you will see they are comparable. You really can't make the appropriate comparison to urban or suburban communities - it is an apples/oranges comparison & doesn't work

Clem72

Clem -I would be interested to know the population served by that utility. MetCom is a very small utility serving around somewhere less than 40% of the entire county. This makes it expensive because many fixed costs are distributed among fewer users.

Do you really want the answer, or just looking for a way to discredit my comparison? The city population was (and still is) about 1700 people, and the surrounding un-incorporated area served by the water company covers another 500 or so.

Potomac

Clem it was nothing more than an honest question looking for an honest answer. I hope that's not a problem .......

I don't know when you lived there or what was included in your bill. its entirely possible that utility was not collecting for forward funding like MetCom does; its also quite likely because you say that it was in an desert area that wastewater treatment was not as stringent (meaning COSTLY) because its not an area surrounded by the Potomac River & the Chesapeake Bay (critical areas legislation - costly)

My point in posting in this forum really was for discussion and hopefully to truly clear up the misinformation out there.

Clem72

Clem it was nothing more than an honest question looking for an honest answer. I hope that's not a problem .......

I don't know when you lived there or what was included in your bill. its entirely possible that utility was not collecting for forward funding like MetCom does; its also quite likely because you say that it was in an desert area that wastewater treatment was not as stringent (meaning COSTLY) because its not an area surrounded by the Potomac River & the Chesapeake Bay (critical areas legislation - costly)

My point in posting in this forum really was for discussion and hopefully to truly clear up the misinformation out there.

Since you seem to be knowledgeable and willing to answer questions...forward funding? Why doesn't the utility take out loans or sell bonds to cover expenditures rather than charge current customers for expansion or projects not related to their own service?

I think I know the answer, then Metcom would have to pay interest either on the loan or to the bond holders. If you charge current customers you can "borrow" their money without interest and never have to pay it back. But maybe I am mistaken.