Suspected drunk driver crashes into fire truck and medical helicopter

Misfit

Lawful neutral
http://krqe.com/2016/10/23/drunk-driver-crashes-into-fire-truck-medical-helicopter-near-gallup/

GALLUP, N.M. (KRQE) – McKinley County Sheriff’s deputies responded to a crash early Sunday morning after a suspected drunk driver crashed into a medical helicopter and fire truck on Highway 566 near Gallup.

Deputies say a landing zone for a medical transport helicopter had been set up by the fire department for transport of a patient from a separate crash on Navajo Route 1149. The reported drunk driver went around the barricade on Highway 566, crashing into the helicopter and fire truck.

Attachments

• Copter.jpg
    Copter.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 457
Last edited:

Hijinx

All of those red lights blinded the poor guy. I bet his insurance isn't enough to cover that $300,000 dollar fire truck and God knows what the helicopter cost.
All of these scenes I have seen the helicopter leaves a lot of room between it and the Fire truck, the guy should have had a hint to stop when he nailed the fire truck.
Guessing the helicopter was shut down when it was hit, since the rotors aren't damaged that badly. Lucky, when those rotors come apart they can really be bad.

officeguy

All of those red lights blinded the poor guy. I bet his insurance isn't enough to cover that $300,000 dollar fire truck and God knows what the helicopter cost.

NM for the longest time didn't require liability insurance. Based on the location, the driver probably had tribal plates. That EMS company is going to see nothing.