Overzealous Code Enforcement or a danger to the neighborhood

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Miami treehouse grandma Shawnee Chasser keeps up fight for home

Chasser, who noted her protest history, said she won’t give up easily. She has attorneys and an architect working with her for free on possible solutions and is holding a November fundraiser to pay the bills.

“I’m not leaving. I haven’t slept indoors in 25 years. It’s just who I am,” Chasser said, her flowing hair streaked with purple. “I don’t want them telling me what my happiness is because I don’t fit in one of their boxes.”

County inspectors are not backing down. They found the treehouse’s construction to be substandard and with improper and possibly hazardous electricity and plumbing. The county’s Unsafe Structures Panel ordered it demolished within a few months unless it is brought up to code.

“It’s an unfortunate situation that must be corrected for the safety of the residents and neighbors,” county officials said in a statement.

Ari Bargil, a lawyer looking into Chasser’s case, said the county code has plenty of space for structures beyond a traditional home, such as servants’ quarters or a guesthouse. Bargil said the county is being overzealous for ordering the treehouse’s destruction.

I am sure the work is not 'up to code' if she did it herself ...
... but what is the point - we mere humans need permission from the state - aka Gov to build a dwelling or to protect us from potentially killing ourselves

Reactions: BOP

BOP

Welcome to Florida. It's where New Yorkers go to turn another place into New York.

They did the same thing to southern California back in the '70s. There's a reason they made a movie depicting a fence around NYC.

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
but what is the point - we mere humans need permission from the state - aka Gov to build a dwelling or to protect us from potentially killing ourselves
That's a tough one. I guess I would agree if the structure were only to be inhabited by the person who built it, and could never be rented or sold to anyone else. Well, I guess someone could buy it if they were aware of the situation.

Problem is third-party innocents getting hurt by fire or the place falling down on them. There has to be some happy medium.

The ones that really get me are when people are prohibited from having a veggie garden in the front yard. I've heard of both local governments and HOA's pulling that crap. You couldn't give me a house for free if it was under the jurisdiction of an HOA.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Well, it's not a house. Has no (typical) foundation. How does the county have authority here? Is there code codified that prohibits tree houses, or regulates their construction, or how they should be wire or plumbed?

BernieP

Resident PIA
If I may ...

Well, it's not a house. Has no (typical) foundation. How does the county have authority here? Is there code codified that prohibits tree houses, or regulates their construction, or how they should be wire or plumbed?

"improper and possibly hazardous electricity and plumbing "

Not long ago, Miami-Dade County code inspectors discovered the treehouse, declared it unfit for human habitation and ordered it torn down. Now Chasser is fighting to keep her arboreal home, which is two stories, with a sink with running water, a stove, a refrigerator, a computer and a television. It’s also home to her dogs, cats and a pet raccoon named Mary J. Blige.

It looks more like something out of Swiss Family Robinson than a simple child’s retreat.

Let's play, "what if".
What if, the the wiring causes a fire? Who's gong to pay to put that fire out? How much destruction could a fire cause?
What if, the plumbing fails. Water damage, localized flooding, sewage?
What if, the tree house fails and she's injured? Does she expect the local fire and rescue to come to her aide?

Chris0nllyn

If I may ...

It's still built using systems that need to meet code. The Plumbing Code doesn't apply only to "traditional homes" and stipulates how plumbing systems need to be built.

Same with the NEC. Just because it's not a traditional home doesn't mean the electrical installation doesn't have to meet code or that the authority having jurisdiction (aka code inspector/enforcement) doesn't have said authority.

Chris0nllyn

where there is a code division probably ... in the middle of Wyoming perhaps not

Every state in this country adopts certain codes. While "the middle of Wyoming" may be a good place to build something and not be found, it doesn't mean they don't have any building codes adopted.

For example, Wyoming has adopted the 2017 NEC, 2018 International Building Code, 2018 Fire Code, 2018 International Mechanical Code, 2018 International Fuel Gas Code, etc.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

"improper and possibly hazardous electricity and plumbing "
Let's play, "what if".
What if, the the wiring causes a fire? Who's gong to pay to put that fire out? How much destruction could a fire cause?
What if, the plumbing fails. Water damage, localized flooding, sewage?
What if, the tree house fails and she's injured? Does she expect the local fire and rescue to come to her aide?
Oh for Christ's sake. It's called personal responsibility. If something happens I'm sure she'll take care of it.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

It's still built using systems that need to meet code. The Plumbing Code doesn't apply only to "traditional homes" and stipulates how plumbing systems need to be built. Same with the NEC. Just because it's not a traditional home doesn't mean the electrical installation doesn't have to meet code or that the authority having jurisdiction (aka code inspector/enforcement) doesn't have said authority.
All these "codes" are for things that are typically built for occupancy to live in or work in and that are resold and occupied to live in or work in. Houses, apartments, condos, buildings etc. For these "code enforcers" ass-holes to bother her is ridiculous. And I thought you were the resident Mr. Libertarian.

BernieP

Resident PIA
If I may ...

Oh for Christ's sake. It's called personal responsibility. If something happens I'm sure she'll take care of it.
It's in Miami, not the middle of a swamp

We all have electrical and plumbing codes, not just for our own protection but also for others using the systems as well as our immediate neighbors.

Chris0nllyn

If I may ...

All these "codes" are for things that are typically built for occupancy to live in or work in and that are resold and occupied to live in or work in. Houses, apartments, condos, buildings etc. For these "code enforcers" ass-holes to bother her is ridiculous. And I thought you were the resident Mr. Libertarian.

Right. Libertarian, not anarchist.

These "codes" are for safety. Plumbing codes prevent noxious gases from entering a home, or prevent backflow, or prevent improper drains from making a home unlivable/dangerous to live in. Electrical codes prevent unneeded deaths from electrocution. They are rooted in practical real world experiences and even accidents.

She freely admits to living in the space (and the video below makes that clear), which is built on the same land as another home. That land is zoned for a single home. She chose to build it. She chose to run electric to it. She chose to run plumbing. She chose to live in it. She made it 10 years, which is commendable, but when we live in a country where literally anyone at any times is likely breaking some kind of law she shouldn't be surprised.

I believe there is legitimate need for some government. Our government was created to be for the people and by the people. "The People" have decided that they want local and state governments to enact and enforce building codes to prevent unsafe living areas/homes/buildings/etc. Bitch and moan all you want but past generations of people, yourself included, have given us this country. You have no one to blame but yourselves.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Right. Libertarian, not anarchist.
"These codes are for safety." Fine. When she sells the place, or her heirs, in the disclosures and disclaimers paper work have the statement put "some aspects of construction, (the tree house) not up to county code". "Purchased as is." Ya know Chris, you've turned into a very good slave of government. It's one thing to ensure that an outsider, contractor, electrician, plumber, etc., have some rules to follow when building for another, but when one takes up the work themselves, upon their own property, it is then that government has no say. Also, if you noticed, there was no toilet in that tree house. It is in the main house on the property. And without a toilet, the tree house cannot be considered a home/house. One small sink. A little gray water to the surrounding plants, I'm sure. And that stove most likely connected to a 20lb propane tank. Btw, "The People", have no right to tell other people what they can and cannot do on or upon their own property as long as they do not harm, or infringe, upon the person or property of another. You, and others, are a bunch of mind numbed propaganda formed lemmings. Maybe it's because you are pissed that you've fallen for the government control BS yourself and hate it when others, with free will, and a freedom mindset, actually exercise and control their own life and destiny? While you toil away, bow to others, and follow their commands.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Can't wait until Cliffy gets in here to expound upon how he's "Fight'n The Man!"

🍿

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

To Chris and others. What about those older homes being lived in, or sold, that are not up to, "current", code? With lead piping. Inadequate plumbing? Out of date/specs septic. Old substandard electrical wring? Lower gauge wiring? Old fuse boxes instead of circuit breaker boxes? Old framing techniques? Lead paint throughout? Asbestos shingles. Asbestos insulation? On and on and on and on. Should, "The People", step in and force remediation to these types of proprieties of the current occupiers or new buyers? Should the gestapo code enforcers now force older homes to be updated every time there is a new code written or revised even if it's only one year old? Where does it end, this encroachment into individual liberty?

Chris0nllyn

If I may ...

"These codes are for safety." Fine. When she sells the place, or her heirs, in the disclosures and disclaimers paper work have the statement put "some aspects of construction, (the tree house) not up to county code". "Purchased as is." Ya know Chris, you've turned into a very good slave of government. It's one thing to ensure that an outsider, contractor, electrician, plumber, etc., have some rules to follow when building for another, but when one takes up the work themselves, upon their own property, it is then that government has no say. Also, if you noticed, there was no toilet in that tree house. It is in the main house on the property. And without a toilet, the tree house cannot be considered a home/house. One small sink. A little gray water to the surrounding plants, I'm sure. And that stove most likely connected to a 20lb propane tank. Btw, "The People", have no right to tell other people what they can and cannot do on or upon their own property as long as they do not harm, or infringe, upon the person or property of another. You, and others, are a bunch of mind numbed propaganda formed lemmings. Maybe it's because you are pissed that you've fallen for the government control BS yourself and hate it when others, with free will, and a freedom mindset, actually exercise and control their own life and destiny? While you toil away, bow to others, and follow their commands.

You admit that a contractor should follow some sort of code, but fail to see why it may be important for a homeowner doing their own work to follow a code?

She rents out the main house, so maybe she's dropping the brown kids off at the pool in her back yard?

If she built a normal treehouse without running water and electricity, she'd likely not be in this situation. If she didn't rent out the place and bring in campers, she'd likely be okay. If she sold the house and built her treehouse in another area zzoned for it, she'd be okay.

Let me point out something. I can guarantee that you are older than me. This government. These codes. These "gestapo code enforcers". etc are on your shoulders. You created this government. Your generation (and past generations) screwed it up for everyone else. Don't blame me for not flipping the bird to "the man" when it was your generation that created them.

Second, you know jack crap about me. So quit acting like you do.

If I may ...

To Chris and others. What about those older homes being lived in, or sold, that are not up to, "current", code? With lead piping. Inadequate plumbing? Out of date/specs septic. Old substandard electrical wring? Lower gauge wiring? Old fuse boxes instead of circuit breaker boxes? Old framing techniques? Lead paint throughout? Asbestos shingles. Asbestos insulation? On and on and on and on. Should, "The People", step in and force remediation to these types of proprieties of the current occupiers or new buyers? Should the gestapo code enforcers now force older homes to be updated every time there is a new code written or revised even if it's only one year old? Where does it end, this encroachment into individual liberty?

The codes don't say that structures have to meet the current adopted codes at all times. They say that if the house is to be renovated, then it needs to meet current adopted codes.